Glad to be here.

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby odessa » September 3rd, 2006, 7:36 pm

Hi. My name is Brenda and I live in Richmond, VA. I foster pit bulls, have one of my own (as well as three other dogs) and manage a kennel where many rescue pit bulls currently reside. I am working hard to find them rescue/foster and/or adoptive placements. They were all pulled on behalf of a local woman who unfortunately had no plans for find them homes--only for kenneling them forever. Most of you will understand how unfair this is. I am always seeking ideas for training, etc. to help them become more adoptable and model citizens. I am also always looking to be more educated about these wonderful dogs. Thanks in advance for everybody's input.

I am in the process of starting my own nonprofit all breed rescue group in Central VA. It is a long, difficult process, no doubt! I also support a local bully breed rescue as much as I am able.

Here is my sweet girl. http://www.dogster.com/?334111

I look forward to meeting everyone!
"It takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place." - From Through the Looking Glass, by Lewis Carroll
odessa
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » September 3rd, 2006, 7:43 pm

Welcome, odessa! What got you into the breed?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby odessa » September 3rd, 2006, 8:02 pm

Well. *whispers* The truth is, I'm a Lab person. Or was.

Don't get me wrong--I always thought that Pits were maligned, but never realized exactly *how* badly until I started doing shelter outreach work. And saw how many nice Pits were euthanized at my local shelter, while the lab mixes and collies, etc. got out and into rescue. Our adoption rate, no matter the breed, is dismal at best. We are quite rural. I generally think the Pit Bulls who DO get adopted would usually be better off put down. Any moron with twenty bucks can have a dog.

I started fostering for an all breed rescue organization and didn't balk at taking Pit mixes, although for some time I had to be careful. I rent my house, from my father, and he has a bad impression of Pit Bulls. Now I can honestly say that he *had* a bad impression.

I took the job managing the kennel/rescue facility and when I started, there were about 30 Pits in residence. You name it, we have it. Any color, any gender, any behavioral problem, any perfect dog. I saw Carmen when I went in to apply and thought to myself then and there, "OH my, that is my dog. Right there in that kennel!" I held off for about three months from bringing her home. I already have three female dogs. To bring a female Pit home--well, surely that would be a huge mistake! But I couldn't resist her chocolatey rednosed charm and decided to try it out, because what did she or I have to lose? She always played very well with everybody at the kennel.

Needless to say, she is a dream. I am hooked, both on her AND on the breed. There will always be a Pit Bull (or two!) in this house. She was abandoned by her owner at a local kill shelter that does not adopt out Pits to the public. Her only chance was to be picked up by a 501(c)3 organization. Thankfully for her, she WAS picked up and then abandoned again, at a kennel, where she languished for four months. Recently, her sister showed up at that same shelter. I was able to get her pulled to safety and am actively looking for an adoptive home for her. She has a leg injury and has had it pretty rough so far, but her temperament is phenomenal. She was living in a crate full of feces and filth, along with another dog (who was probably the father of the litter she's recently weaned). Her owner went to jail on drug charges and 3 days later, his roommates finally bothered to call Animal Control and say, "Oh, yeah. He had some dogs and we don't want to take care of them." I am hoping, at this point, that we can save the leg. It will be x-rayed this week when she is spayed. It doesn't appear to cause her any pain. That same shelter has 28 other Pits who won't be as lucky as she is. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but it is so damned frustrating!

Anyway, that's how I got into Pit Bulls. I'm grateful everyday. :)
"It takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place." - From Through the Looking Glass, by Lewis Carroll
odessa
Just Whelped

Postby PBT Staff » September 3rd, 2006, 8:31 pm

PBT Staff

Postby pitbullmamaliz » September 4th, 2006, 10:35 am

Welcome! :wave:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby iluvk9 » September 4th, 2006, 2:38 pm

odessa wrote:Well. *whispers* The truth is, I'm a Lab person. Or was.

Hey ~ There is nothing wrong with loving a Lab! :heartbeat:

Welcome. :greenWave:

Joyce
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Purple » September 4th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Hello and Welcome! Hope you enjoy your stay here! :trollDance:
Purple
I live here

Return to Introductions