Relif for a possible UTI?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby KimJay Pits » September 3rd, 2006, 7:39 pm

I am not sure but my girl Misty MAY have a UTI. I just noticed today she is peeing ALOT and going very often. Thing is she is getting ready to go into heat also, which I know can cause them to urinate alot...mine anyway.
I have her on antibiotics but was wondering is their anything I can give her for relief? Will cranberry juice help?
Kim

Home Of:
The spoiled rotten heathens!

Friends don't let friends drink decaf!
KimJay Pits
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » September 3rd, 2006, 8:19 pm

It should but she may not want to drink it, you could try the capsules.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby chewbecca » September 3rd, 2006, 9:43 pm

Just out of curiosity, what do you feed her?
Would this be the first UTI she's ever had?
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby KimJay Pits » September 4th, 2006, 12:24 am

chewbecca wrote:Just out of curiosity, what do you feed her?
Would this be the first UTI she's ever had?

I feed Pro Plan lamb and rice. Yes this is her first one. She is 4 years old.
Kim

Home Of:

KimJay Pits
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby chewbecca » September 4th, 2006, 8:35 am

ah.
Had they been reoccurring, I would've said something about ash content in the food, but I don't know the ash content of pro-plan.
I do know that some of the high quality, protein rich kibbles have a high ash content, and I do know that some of the low grade, grain enriched kibbles have high ash content.

I would try the cranberry juice pills and I hope your pup gets feeling better soon!
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby Magnolia618 » September 4th, 2006, 11:51 am

I would try the cranberry capsules. Switching to a higher quality food would also be great!

Good luck!
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby KimJay Pits » September 4th, 2006, 12:15 pm

I know Pro Plan is not the best out there. Price is kind of a factor for me. I get PP for around 26 dollars a bag ( 37.5- 40 pounds). And I participate in the weight circles program so the voucher checks for dog food are nice! :D They have very small/ firm stools so I have just stuck with it for now. Any suggestions for a better food that is in the same ball park as price?

Oh I am going to get the Cranberry pills but for yesterday and today I poured a little CB juice in a bowl. The oinker drank it...LOL. She will eat or drink anything, guess that can be a good thing sometimes. :P
Kim

Home Of:

KimJay Pits
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby chewbecca » September 4th, 2006, 2:49 pm

I can't promise that I can find you a cheaper food, but I can promise that you'll be feeding less of a better grade kibble than that of a lower grade kibble. So, the price will be about the same in the long run.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby KimJay Pits » September 4th, 2006, 5:12 pm

chewbecca wrote:I can't promise that I can find you a cheaper food, but I can promise that you'll be feeding less of a better grade kibble than that of a lower grade kibble. So, the price will be about the same in the long run.

That will work to..LOL. Right now Misty eats a cup and a half a day. She is a 60 pound dog. Jewel eats 2 cups....64 pound dog. Jewel is very active so I feed a tad more or she will turn into bones! They all are in good weight. Just to give you a idea on how much I feed now. :D

ETA: I know their weight probably sounds *fat* but they are 19 1/2 and 20 inch dogs. Pretty tall.
Kim

Home Of:

KimJay Pits
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » September 4th, 2006, 5:14 pm

That's great that she drank the cranberry juice! Did she make a face when she did?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby KimJay Pits » September 4th, 2006, 6:19 pm

LOL. I think the only reason she drinks it is because Nitro did. Even if she hates it she can't let another dog have it :P
Nitro on the other hand really loves it. He is a little odd anyway...LOL.
Kim

Home Of:

KimJay Pits
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby JCleve86 » September 6th, 2006, 8:03 pm

We switched from Nutro to Canidae in the past few years and have literally cut the amount of food down in half. It's actually been MUCH more cost effective than cheaper food...and the poo is easier to pick up too...and there's less of it!

Also, don't buy at Petco and the like...find feed stores in your area...much cheaper, and mine has a buy 10 get one free program. :|
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby chewbecca » September 6th, 2006, 9:11 pm

There's Timberwolf Organics and Nature's Variety (Raw Instincts)

Those are the two brands I feed.
I would really go with Timberwolf Organics because they state their ash content on the package. Ash content has been thought to contribute to UTIs.
Ash is the "left over" minerals after the kibble is incenerated, left over for the kidneys to filter out.
And more specifically, I'd go with Timberwolf Organics Wild and Natural.
It has the highest protein with a *safe* ash content of 5%.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby KimJay Pits » September 10th, 2006, 12:19 pm

Canidae would probably be along my price range. I have used it in the past but alot of my dogs didn't like it. But worth trying again for sure.
I used TWO when they first started. After a few months I was just having so many problems with it and the delivery I just said forget it. My dogs had serious issues on it and Mark had assured me at the time that they were switching to a new plant and things would change I just never went back to it.
think I will give the Canidae a try again though. :D
Kim

Home Of:

KimJay Pits
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Nutrition & Health