my dog hit by car yesterday

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby jlewin » September 2nd, 2006, 4:10 pm

she is on rimadyl 50 mgs twice per day. it is her first exposure to pain meds i did give her her dose last night and this morning, i was thinking to phase them out after today anyway b/c the pain itself does not seem to bother her, of course the initial pain didn't appear to bother her much either she is the most stoic dog i have ever owned.
jlewin
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » September 2nd, 2006, 4:14 pm

Well, some folks keep their dogs on the pain meds for the whole course given by the doc. Others taper the dogs' meds after the first day or so in the hopes that the dog will learn to slow down when the injury starts to hurt again.

Where are her staples? I am assuming that the dog was given staples because the vet thought stitches may not be strong enough? Or is the injury fairly severe?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby jlewin » September 2nd, 2006, 4:16 pm

it is actually a very minor cut barely needing suturing, but the vet could not get the stiches in at the proper angle, so the staples were a better alternative simply for that reason. she is getting them out in only 5 days
jlewin
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » September 2nd, 2006, 4:25 pm

Oh, that sounds great! So it's probably just the "mental" angle you need to deal with.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby grizzly » September 4th, 2006, 5:29 pm

one time when it was raining , i called my first saint (smore) into a camper i had. the electical cord to thew camper got wet. when she stepped onto the metal step she got zapped! she was my best ever behaved dog who did EVERYTHING i asked, well she turned tail and ran 3 blocks away without ever looking back no matter how much i called.
the reason i tell this story is she became extremly afraid of that camper and would go nowhere near it. after a few months i started to try to get her back into the camper. with alot of work she would jump right in (never again did she step on the step though)

all i am saying is give your dog some time to get over the trauma of the accident. if it just happened this weekend and at first he/ she didn't react it could have been the meds had her/him doped just enough to forget, but once she/he remembered he/she freaked. give some time, maybe after the staples come out but don't baby or act too different or change your routine b/c sooner or later your dog will want to go back to the fun life you used to enjoy
grizzly
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior