Frustrated and need help!!!!!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby bouvierz » August 27th, 2006, 8:30 am

Ok My bouvier has always has loose stool but Im sick of trying to pick it up so I went from feeding Premium edge to feeding Blue Buffalo. I made the change very slowly because my Mastiff also has a sensative stomach. Well now Raina has liquid poop. Ive tried fasting her and giving her slippery elm which usually help with upset tummies. Oh by the way shes a pop eater which I believe is why she has loose stool. BUt Ive also had her on deter for about 5 days, do you think that would give her the runs? Does anyone have any suggestions for her poop and her poop eating????? Oh and she does not have anyp parasites, just had that checked out. :| HELP ME PLEASE :D
bouvierz
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby lellis34 » August 27th, 2006, 9:05 am

King occassionally has this problem too. We're just coming off a two day run of the "squirts" (sorry for the visual). For him it happens when he gets into the cats food and it's horrible. It doesnt' start out that way, but progresses to that and then goes back the other way. What usually helps him along is plain white rice. I just make a cup or two of rice and mix in just a little bit of flavor. One time I used a teaspoon of peanut butter (that was in 2 cups of rice) and yesterday I used a little bit of chopped grilled chicken breast (about a handful in 2 cups). I don't know what it is about the rice but it seems to firm everything up. I used to do this witha beagle we had years ago and the vet said it was fine for them. Not for a regular diet mind you, but just for these occassions.
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
Tuck: “you can say that again”
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-ZxcPE33w
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby Magnolia618 » August 27th, 2006, 1:47 pm

What about something adding some plain yoghurt or canned pumpkin?

You could also switch her food. Blue Buffalo isnt bad, but there are higher quality kibbles that you could switch to like Merrick, Timberwolf, Canidae, Nature's Variety, etc...
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby bouvierz » August 27th, 2006, 10:50 pm

Well I would love to feed Merick but there is noooooooo way I could afford it (Single mom, 3 dogs, 1daughter, 3 foster kids and I work for the Humane society = Im broke) I did just change their food recently from premium edge to Blue buffalo. I was told blue buffalo is a really good food, ingredients look good no fillers...so we'll see. Ill try the rice deal been there done that.... but this seem to be a roller coaster. Ok stool, loose stool, squirts, Ok stool ect, ect. I would like to try a raw diet as I hear from people that their dogs stool is almost nothing, and of course it is good for them. What do you guys feed? Thanks for the suggestions, keep them comming :greenWave:
bouvierz
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 28th, 2006, 7:41 am

RAW is the way to go! Inara's poo's are small and firm, and within a couple days they turn chalky and just crumble away. And they don't stink! And her coat and breath aren't offensive either. And quite frankly, if you find deals, it's cheaper than a good kibble!!!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Romanwild » August 28th, 2006, 8:05 am

In my limited experience I would get a premium food.

As far as poop goes, my best results have been from Innova EVO.

If you want a cheaper premium then I would try Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul. Fairly inexpensive and high quality.

I would also give Pepto Bismol a try. It's always worked for Dreyfus.

I haven't done raw yet but I think that is the best most natural way to go.

A little yogurt with active cultures does help as well.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » August 28th, 2006, 10:46 am

If you are interested in raw, you should definitely look into it! There are quite a few posts hanging around here.

Just remember, EVERYONE has a different way of doing it and a different way that is "right". It makes it very difficult to get into raw. I was so scared that I was doing everything wrong. Experiment with different ways to do things, and see what works for you! I just plop some meat infront of them and they eat it. I make sure to throw some supplements (raw eggs, yoghurt, kelp, sometimes fruits/veggies etc...) into their food a couple times a week, add some variety to their meat, some organs, and they have a fish meal once a week for the oils. Thats really about it. My 54 pounder gets about a pound, my 36 pounder gets about two. He's a freak. lol The amount of food they get really depends on how they look. If I see one of my dogs gaining weight, I cut back. If they are losing weight, I give them more. Sometimes they get big meals, sometimes small meals. Whatever I have.
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby concreterose » August 28th, 2006, 9:15 pm

My girl has had a battle with diarrhea for a couple months now...after taking in several stool samples and never testing positive for parasites or worms, my vet, my nutritionalist, and I figured out she has IBD.

The only way I've been able to get it under control is by feeding her one protein source (rabbit). I'll do that for six to twelve weeks, and then slowly start giving her different protein sources to see what she can tolerate.

Switching foods (including raw meats) continuously will only make it worse.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby bouvierz » August 28th, 2006, 11:07 pm

Roman- Blue buffalo is a premium kibble- its $40 a bag so I hope its a good food..... :D I am doining my research about feeding raw. As far as sitching foods, They have been on Premium edge for years. I just recently because rainas stool has always been so loose and she eats poop. I was told she would quit eating poop and her stool would firm up if i got a better quality food. Here's the ingredents tell me what you think

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Rye , Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid and Rosemary), Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Ground Flax Seed, Alfalfa, Herring Oil, Sea Salt, Barley Grass, Sunflower Oil (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Calcium Phosphate, Dried Kelp, Whole Garlic Cloves, Lecithin, Parsley, Glucosamine, Spirulina, Yucca Schidigera, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bacillus Subtilis, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum, Bifidobacterium Longum, Enterococcus Faecium, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc), Choline Chloride, Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron), Turmeric, Vitamin E Supplement , Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese), Natural Color, Beta Carotene, Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper), Potassium Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Potassium), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Calcium Pentothenate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Potassium Iodide, Biotin, Cobalt Proteinate (source of Chelated Cobalt), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (source of Vitamin K activity), Sodium Selenite.

Crude Protein 24.0% min
Crude Fat 14.0% min
Crude Fiber 4.0% max
Moisture 10.0% max
bouvierz
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » August 28th, 2006, 11:16 pm

bouvierz wrote:Well I would love to feed Merick but there is noooooooo way I could afford it

Roman- Blue buffalo is a premium kibble- its $40 a bag so I hope its a good food

Merrick is $43 a bag if you get it from the place in Greece that delivers. 621.0890
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby bouvierz » August 28th, 2006, 11:28 pm

Michelle $43 really wow. Who is that petsaver? I have a little conflict with him and will not buy food from him. But The guy that delivers is a very good friend of mine. Do you know anywhere else that sells it that cheap? You feed raw correct? where do you go to get your meat?
bouvierz
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby msvette2u » August 28th, 2006, 11:33 pm

Merrick ingredients seem almost identical to Blue Buffalo except the 1st ingredient in THIS one is Beef - you always said a beef/chicken/lamb/etc. MEAL is better for the 1st ingredient!? :shock: Blue has chicken as it's first and chicken MEAL as it's 2nd ingredient, Merrick's 2nd ingredient is OATMEAL and third is another grain!

Ingredients:
Beef, Oatmeal, Barley, Beef Meal, Whole Brown Rice, Beef Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols a source of Natural Vitamin E and Ascorbic Acid, a source of Vitamin C), Flaxseed, Potatoes, Carrots, Peas, Dried Chicken Liver, Whole Apples, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Lysine, Guar Gum, Salt, Choline Chloride, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Whole Blueberries, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Whole Clove Garlic, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Dried Beef Broth, Chicory Root, Marigold Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterocococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Natural Celery Flavor, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Natural Caramel Color, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby mnp13 » August 29th, 2006, 2:01 am

bouvierz wrote:Michelle $43 really wow. Who is that petsaver? I have a little conflict with him and will not buy food from him. But The guy that delivers is a very good friend of mine. Do you know anywhere else that sells it that cheap? You feed raw correct? where do you go to get your meat?

I think that's the place, it's in the plaza behind Perkin's.

I feed raw now, I get my meat at Skip's on North Goodman (each Skip's is independantly owned and they are priced very differently) and look at Wegmans for sales. Last week we got 10 pound bags of chicken legs for 5.90. Each leg weighs about a pound, so that's almost a week of meals.

I also stopped at a farmer's road side stand and got a few pounds of veggies and fruit that they couldn't sell for people. They were a little brused up and not smelling so fresh, but the dogs didn't mind. I threw them in the food processor and made them into a very fine puree.

I'm going to call Wegmans and talk to them about getting the meat that didn't sell on the "last day", especially the fish.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » August 29th, 2006, 8:01 am

bouvierz wrote:Well I would love to feed Merick but there is noooooooo way I could afford it

The cheapest I've found Merrick around here is $48 per 30# bag, with a free case of the canned -- that offer is only good on the Wilderness Blend formula.

However, I have noticed that I feed far less of the Merrick than any other food I've fed them in the past, so the bags last longer. Better results per smaller amount of food given.

I also throw in veggies and plain meat leftovers every once-in-a-while.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Magnolia618 » August 29th, 2006, 4:44 pm

Merrick ingredients seem almost identical to Blue Buffalo except the 1st ingredient in THIS one is Beef - you always said a beef/chicken/lamb/etc. MEAL is better for the 1st ingredient!? Shocked Blue has chicken as it's first and chicken MEAL as it's 2nd ingredient, Merrick's 2nd ingredient is OATMEAL and third is another grain!

Merrick has actual freeze-dried meat chunks. :shock:
Magnolia618
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health