tip to pass on/Kong stuffing

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby rottgrl » February 2nd, 2006, 1:36 pm

Hi all,

I am getting ready for the new baby's arrival, and came across a great idea my dogs loved!

I bake dog biscuits for my dogs, and I use liver--beef or chicken. I cook the liver and then put it thru the food processor to make it in to a paste that I can mix in with the dough.

One of my rotties was in the kitchen with me, playing with his Kong....I had a little extra liver, so I stuffed some in the Kong for him..OMG! He loved it.

I had thought about buying liver sausage to stuff in Reddy's kong, but I think this is a lot healthier--and way cheaper as I can get liver for 33 cents a lb.

So, if your crazy like me, and cook and bake for your dogs, give it a try! Its very simple...just cook the liver, put in food processor with a little water til it makes a nice paste. I am going to make up a couple of pounds and keep it in the frigde!
rottgrl
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » February 2nd, 2006, 1:45 pm

Before my dogs ate their kongs I would stuff ground meat in them & freeze. They had a blast & it took them a while to get it out. My dogs eat raw & get liver quite a bit. Don't give too much though, it tends to be a bit rich & will give them the runs.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby rottgrl » February 2nd, 2006, 4:24 pm

Yes, too much liver will give loose stools to the runs, depending on the dog. I should have remembered to mention that :oops:

But since I give my dogs things to chew on everyday I figured I could alternate between peanut butter, cheese, and the liver...some days they also get pig tails, knuckle bones and pork neck bones.....now I think I have almost every day of the week covered! LOL
rottgrl
Just Whelped

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » February 3rd, 2006, 12:04 pm

My dogs are sweet potato fanatics.
What we do is boil up a big pot of sweet potatoes, mash them, and then portion them out into ice cube tray and freeze. When we're in a hurry and don't have a lot of time to stuff kongs, we grab a potato cube and shove it in along with a treat or two. Instant doggie fun.

We actually discovered this by accident. We have a parrot who eats warm sweet potatoes before bed every night, so we'd freeze up trays of potatos for him. It just happened that the dogs are nuts about them too. :) Works with butternut and acorn squash too.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby pLaurent » February 4th, 2006, 12:22 pm

What my dog likes best are marrow bones. Working on them to get out all the marrow is one of her greatest pleasures!

After it's clean, I jam other things into it for her - leftover chicken, dog cookies etc. Her ears sure perk up when I ask "Where's your bone?" :)
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby JCleve86 » February 4th, 2006, 10:13 pm

Remember that the liver is a filter organ. Whatever the animal has eaten that wasn't necessarily great (pesticides, etc.) will BE in the liver. I would only feed genuine organic, all natural liver...otherwise you could be inadvertantly feeding your dog some scary stuff...
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Return to Pit Bull Talk