is this safe use of a springpole

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby jlewin » August 28th, 2006, 11:45 am

these guys are talking about promoting solid temperment pit bulls and good family pets, i'm not too well versed on proper springpole use but some of these videos make me nervous i found this when i was looking for some tips on using my springpole. can i let me dogs do this stuff? hanging, growling, spinning while a few feet of the ground?
jlewin
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » August 28th, 2006, 11:50 am

You forgot the link to the video but from what you described, that is pretty much how they play with it. It's just a big game of tug ( easier on the arms though :wink: ) and as long as it is not TOO far off the ground ( in case they fall) it is ok to let them play like that.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 28th, 2006, 12:24 pm

Depending on how old they are. I know you're supposed to hang it low enough for all their feet to touch the ground until they're like 18 months old so they're adult teeth can get firmly attached to their jaws.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Magnolia618 » August 28th, 2006, 2:43 pm

Watch out for the springpoles! Thats how they get the lock jaw :twisted:

Seriously, though. My dogs LOVE their springpole. Unfortunately, my ex chopped their tree down :evil: and even though I am surrounded by woods, I'm having a hard time finding a good tree to hang it on.

It is great exercise for them and it's like playing SUPER tug of war! My dogs looked so great when they regularly got to play on it, they were worn out, and happy! I have yet to see any negative effects from my springpole, and if you use it properly and supervise your dog, they are great things to have!
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby mnp13 » August 28th, 2006, 2:44 pm

Chea, if you have two good trees near each other, you could attach a 6x6 between them and hang your spring pole from there.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » August 28th, 2006, 2:49 pm

Watch out for the springpoles! Thats how they get the lock jaw

Bwahahahaha!!! Too funny! My daughter & I always say things like that to each other.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Big_Ant » August 28th, 2006, 2:53 pm

And don't forget the other rule.

You can't feed them an hour before or after they play on it or you'll be teaching them to 'fight' for their food.

Especially if you feed raw, cause then they'll get the 'Taste of Blood'

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby Magnolia618 » August 28th, 2006, 2:53 pm

mnp13 wrote:Chea, if you have two good trees near each other, you could attach a 6x6 between them and hang your spring pole from there.

Thats a good idea. Once it snows (OH GOD! :cry: ) I will be able to go into the fields behind my house again. I think there is a good tree up there. Untill then... I'll have to see if someone can mow it because the grass is as tall as I am.

I would rather it was closer to the house anyway. I do have one in my basement, but the ceilings are kind of low.
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » August 28th, 2006, 2:55 pm

Big_Ant wrote:And don't forget the other rule.

You can't feed them an hour before or after they play on it or you'll be teaching them to 'fight' for their food.

Especially if you feed raw, cause then they'll get the 'Taste of Blood'

- Anthony

rofl rofl rofl

I feed mine some gun powder to rile them up. Thats why Maggie is spinning so fast in that video! Next step is to spray 'em with some pepper spray while they go!
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby mnp13 » August 28th, 2006, 3:17 pm

Here is Riggs this weekend working on his "lockjaw" muscles

It looks like there's a baseball in his cheek!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby jlewin » August 28th, 2006, 4:17 pm

thanks for the feedback. feel more comfortable now. good thing i checked before setting mine up, that would have freaked me out a little lol. here's the link by the way http://www.springpole.com oops!
jlewin
Just Whelped

Postby Romanwild » August 29th, 2006, 8:43 am

I adjust mine so they are just a few inches off the ground. If you set it up with a pully and a cleat you can easily adjust the springpole. Great if you have more then one dog.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Big_Ant » August 29th, 2006, 11:17 am

Romanwild wrote:Great if you have more then one dog.

... or a fat blue that can't get off the ground! :twisted:

I kid, I kid!

Dreyfus is actually one of the more decent looking blues that I've seen. Especially that crop!

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby mnp13 » August 29th, 2006, 11:25 am

Big_Ant wrote:
Romanwild wrote:Great if you have more then one dog.

... or a fat blue that can't get off the ground! :twisted:

:hysterical:
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » August 29th, 2006, 4:17 pm

Well compared to my girl he does have a harder time because he is so densly built but he gets good air and his spring poleing is improving all the time.

Thanks for the compliment though. His ears are a bit high cut but what am I gonna do. :|
Romanwild
I live here

Postby mnp13 » August 29th, 2006, 4:19 pm

Romanwild wrote:Well compared to my girl he does have a harder time because he is so densly built but he gets good air and his spring poleing is improving all the time.

uh... yeah... and I'm just "big boned" :P
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Big_Ant » August 29th, 2006, 4:22 pm

Romanwild wrote:he is so densly built

That is the most eloquent way of saying "he is fat" that I've ever heard. :D

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby Romanwild » August 29th, 2006, 4:23 pm

No, I'm big boned. :twisted:

Compared to your cur everyone is big boned.

I heard his special trick for the bull-ympics will be playing the marimba on his ribs. lol
Romanwild
I live here

Postby mnp13 » August 29th, 2006, 5:12 pm

Your dogs will definately beat him in the trick contest. I heard they do impersonations... of Butterball Turkeys
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » August 30th, 2006, 8:19 am

That's right! We can use Riggs for the day after Thanksgiving Turkey carcas. :D
Romanwild
I live here

Return to Training & Behavior