adding something to kibble

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby jlewin » August 26th, 2006, 9:07 am

I am just about ready to start using a better dry food. i have it narrowed down to a few brands. i am curious to hear what people generally add to their kibble to make it a little better. is it more for taste or nutrition. how much and how often. i've heard raw egg, cottage cheese etc.
jlewin
Just Whelped

Postby chewbecca » August 26th, 2006, 10:36 am

I was adding raw burger to Ella's dog food because I was going to start her on raw.
I do plan on eventually doing raw with her again, but the burger was the only raw I could get her to eat. Since she's on cephlexin for a skin infection, she HAS to eat twice a day. I cut out the burger and started adding cottage cheese to her kibble. I'm going to be stricter with her diet after she's done with her antibiotic today and I'm going to stick with the "she'll eat what I put in front of her, or she won't eat" bit.

So...I have added raw burger, cottage cheese, egg (cooked and raw but she won't eat the raw egg), and canned dog food.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby Purple » August 26th, 2006, 10:43 am

I use Merrick or Nature's Variety kibble and mix Merrick canned and Syn-Flex with it.
Purple
I live here

Postby msvette2u » August 26th, 2006, 12:08 pm

We don't add anything to our dogs' kibble and they go insane at meal time as if they've never eaten before. I don't get people thinking kibble is so "dry and boring"?? Our dogs think meal time is anything BUT boring and we don't add canned or anything. Copper gets some supplements and we add water so he doesn't scarf the food down too quickly.
I think adding stuff is for people's benefit, though, more than for the dogs. :|
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » August 26th, 2006, 12:13 pm

I think adding stuff is for people's benefit, though, more than for the dogs

The people who are adding yoghurt, cottage cheese, eggs, salmon oil, kelp, etc... are doing it for better nutrition. It is especially helpful if you are feeding less than high quality kibble. Try adding raw egg to your dogs food. You will see a difference in their coats within days.
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby msvette2u » August 26th, 2006, 12:48 pm

I suppose if you were feeding low quality food that might be true.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby jlewin » August 26th, 2006, 12:50 pm

so egg makes a nice difference in the coat. how much how often do you use that. i do feed twice a day, but am willing to consider the once a day thing i am always quick to admit nutrition info is not my forte, human or dog. but i do my best
jlewin
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » August 26th, 2006, 1:19 pm

I feed RAW & give my dogs an egg several times a week. They love it & their coats shine.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby katiek0417 » August 26th, 2006, 8:03 pm

I do an entire egg a few times a week (shell and all), also salmon oil, and nupro (with joint support)
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby msvette2u » August 26th, 2006, 8:10 pm

The one time we gave our dogs raw eggs, they puked them right back up. Their coats are all shiny and glossy without the eggs. Ironically, the one who gets fish oil (Copper) has the most dandruff! And YES we changed their food to a higher quality one. :|
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » August 26th, 2006, 8:11 pm

msvette2u wrote:I suppose if you were feeding low quality food that might be true.

Even with mediocre/high quality food, that extra stuff does wonders. Why NOT do whats best for your dogs? I'm not trying to start an argument, but I am curious.[/i]
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » August 26th, 2006, 8:13 pm

msvette2u wrote:The one time we gave our dogs raw eggs, they puked them right back up. Their coats are all shiny and glossy without the eggs. Ironically, the one who gets fish oil (Copper) has the most dandruff! And YES we changed their food to a higher quality one. :|

My dogs coats are still shiny and glossy without eggs as well. I'm always amazed at how much MORE shiny and glossy they are with eggs/supplements.

How did you feed the raw egg?

What food are you feeding now?
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby msvette2u » August 26th, 2006, 8:14 pm

This thread isn't about my dogs and their diet, Chea.
:)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » August 26th, 2006, 8:19 pm

If you dont want people to comment on your posts, DONT POST! :wink:
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby msvette2u » August 26th, 2006, 8:23 pm

Purple wrote:I use Merrick or Nature's Variety kibble and mix Merrick canned and Syn-Flex with it.

I actually got some "Next Level"
Exclusive fluid supplement formula helps the body keep joints lubricated
Powerful flex combination of every source of GAGS available
Contains glucosamine, shark cartilage, perna mussel, Ester C® and MSM
MSM added as a natural anti-inflammatory
Special bromelain enzyme solution digests easily

For Copper's food and am hoping it helps with his back injury!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby msvette2u » August 26th, 2006, 8:24 pm

Magnolia618 wrote:If you dont want people to comment on your posts, DONT POST! :wink:

Commenting is fine. Challenging me as to what kind of food I feed, and ME ALONE, is different ;)

btw, is there a percentage of glossiness that you are seeing? Like, "50% more glossy" with the egg than with raw alone?? Inquiring minds want to know...
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » August 26th, 2006, 8:28 pm

YOU mentioned that you had problems feeding raw eggs. I was trying to help.

YOU mentioned that you dont think adding "stuff" is beneficial to dogs. You are VERY wrong.

YOU mentioned that you switched to a "higher quality" food. I was curious as to what you switched to. If you didnt want us to know, dont bring it up.

I'm sure if anyone else asked you, you would have answered. I was sincerely trying to help, but if you can't handle that, it is YOUR fault.
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby msvette2u » August 26th, 2006, 8:35 pm

I was sincerely trying to help, but if you can't handle that, it is YOUR fault.

Actually since I've owned dogs longer than you've been alive, "can't handle" isn't the right term, "don't appreciate the attempt" is more accurate since all you've done since you came on this board is knock our choices on feeding. :| And you've not managed to change my mind one little bit in your attempts.
I agree SUPPLEMENTS such as vitamins and glucosamine, fish oil etc. could be good and useful, I was actually thinking of another post when someone said that they needed to add canned or wet food to their dogs kibble because it was "dry and boring". My sentiments were, that dogs don't actually THINK like that about their food.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » August 26th, 2006, 8:39 pm

I will not stoop to your level and continue this meaningless conversation with you.

You are unbelievable, Yvette.
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » August 26th, 2006, 8:47 pm

Well this thread got real stupid real fast. No one is questioning what food anyone feeds, the man asked a question about supplements. Either answer his question or move along. There is also an ignore button, I suggest you use it.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health