What DOES she do when I'm gone?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 24th, 2006, 5:14 pm

So as some of you know I recently moved into a new place. Rory has always been left alone while I'm at work during the day but my mom used to go pick her up mid-day but my mom got a new job and hasnt been doing that everyday but she will go over on her lunch hour to hang out.
Anyhoo I knew Rory would notice the change, she is relaible about not chewing things up or soiling in the house, she pretty much sleeps the whole time or looks out the window but since this new change she wont eat her food while I'm gone or chew her toys. Since she was a pup I would leave her her food when I left for work at 10:30 am and then feed her at my dinner time at 8pm. For the past month she will NOT eat her food unless I am home, she wont even eat at my mom's. She has always been finicky about eating like if we are on a road trip or their is to much excitement but never at home. So basically when I come home at 7pm she will greet me and then run to scarf her food down. When I refill her bowl a hour later she scarfs that down too. I also leave her just one treat when I leave in the mornings, either a pigs ear, cow hoof, or bully stick and up until recently those would be gone to (I dont wanna hear one word about giving her treats when I'm not around, thats not what I'm here for)
So I guess my question is, whats her deal? Its not like she has a medical problem that is keeping her from eating, she isnt anxious, have SA or whines or cries when I leave she just refuses to eat. If this is the schedule she wants to have then whatever I just dont think its very healthy for her.
Also since my mom hasnt been taking her mid-day I have upped our morning walks by 2 miles, so I would think she would want this fuel, no?
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby msvette2u » August 24th, 2006, 5:51 pm

I don't think it's a good idea to free-feed, I think it's been mentioned in other threads in this regard.
Set the food out, if it's not gone in 15-20 min., pick it up.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby mnp13 » August 24th, 2006, 6:29 pm

Feed her once a day in the evenings, food down for 20 minutes and then pick it up and that's it.

I also wouldn't leave her with a pigs ear, bully stick, whatever. Those are food items. Until she eats regularly she should only get food at meal times. (and if you don't want something commented on, don't post it.)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby msvette2u » August 24th, 2006, 6:48 pm

Not to mention pig ears are pure fat :shock:
msvette2u
I live here

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 24th, 2006, 7:03 pm

I never thought of it as free feeding becuase I set out the appropriate amount once in the morning and once in the evening and it was always devoured withing 5 minutes. I'm a little more concerned with her being anxious, what her deal is. i thought about withdrawing her treat that i leave in the morning since she hasnt been eating in the morning but she dosnt touch her treat either. its almost as if she is refusing to eat anything unless I'm there. I had left her food out when I leave for work to take the attention from my departure to breakfast and she has always eaten it immediatly becuse my guilty concience would peak through the window and she' be chowin down.
Do you think it will work if I feed her while I'm still there in the morning since my distraction idea is obviously no longer working? And if start doing that am I supposed to feed her before our morning walk or when we get back while I'm getting ready for work. I heard its not good to run/walk/jog on a full tummy. If she dosnt eat while I'm still there in the mroning then I would be able to enforce the "no eat no treat" law. I inquired about the pig's ear to the vet because of their high fat content and she said its not a issue since Rory has a "athletes heart" whatever that is and that the fat content wont be a issue until she gets older or we become less active. I would pull them from her all together but they are truly her favorite ( I know Michelle, I do spoil her way to much) :oops:
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » August 24th, 2006, 7:12 pm

If you allow her to dictate your life then she will dictate your life. Put her food down for 20 minutes then pick it up. If she doesn't eat it, tough. And nothing else for a while, even if it is her favorite. She needs to eat correctly before she gets food treats.

I have a spoiled one too, but she has a few hard and fast rules.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Big_Ant » August 25th, 2006, 11:30 am

Here's a rule that an old friend who has 2 rotties uses.

He's a quadraplegic, so control is very key.

I'll refer to the story as if it's only one dog though so that you can relate.

He has his human helper prepare the dogs food bowl. The helper then puts it on his lap. He then goes outside and lets the dogs out of their kennel (They always go into the kennel before eating, even if they are out at feeding time).

He puts the dog into a down. Once the dog is down, he puts the food down. He gives the dog the command to eat.

The dog has 15 minutes. However, if at any point he decides to pick his head up and go get interested in something else, or try and dictate how the event will go, he has the helper pick up the food, the dog is sent to the kennel, and the dog DOES NOT EAT!

Do this a few times and your dog will know it's time to eat. They'll know that you control what goes on, you hold their lifeline.

Also, keep in mind that Kennel time is not restricted to when you are gone only. If you come into my house in the afternoon on some days, you'll find my wife and kids home, but Weda will be kenneled. When I get home, if she is still in the kennel, then I might stop in, say Hi, and then go eat some dinner. After I'm done, I'll go and get her out and she can have more out time.

It's all about discipline. You can't complain about a bad "child" when you aren't doing anything about it and letting them run you.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby msvette2u » August 25th, 2006, 11:34 am

Do this a few times and your dog will know it's time to eat. They'll know that you control what goes on, you hold their lifeline.

Yep - that is why we've been encouraging you to NOT free-feed Rory.
As it is now she is in control of if/when she eats and that's not a good thing for a dog.
Remember, she IS a dog - she needs YOU to make the decisions! If you set her food out and she doesn't eat it, up it goes, until you get home, and at her dinner time, give it to her after she sits (NILIF) and then if she refuses to eat, up it goes, AGAIN until breakfast. She'll begin to look foward to her meals and she'll realize you're in control of her eating, and will respond. Voila, no more games at mealtime!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Big_Ant » August 25th, 2006, 11:38 am

msvette2u wrote:Yep - that is why we've been encouraging you to NOT free-feed Rory.
As it is now she is in control of if/when she eats and that's not a good thing for a dog.

I think we'll need to wait for her to read a story about something bad happening with a dog being free-fed and then she'll come back and say, "Oh you guys, I should have listened. You were telling me all along and I just couldn't see it"

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby msvette2u » August 25th, 2006, 11:40 am

I suspect you're right lol
msvette2u
I live here

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 25th, 2006, 1:38 pm

Big_Ant wrote:
msvette2u wrote:Yep - that is why we've been encouraging you to NOT free-feed Rory.

I think we'll need to wait for her to read a story about something bad happening with a dog being free-fed and then she'll come back and say, "Oh you guys, I should have listened. You were telling me all along and I just couldn't see it"

- Anthony

Wow thats a wonderfully mature comment, let me bow down oh great wise one seeing as how you were obviously born with infinite wisdom and need not ask such questions.. I flippin came here to ask a question because I have my dog's best interest in mind, if I'm doing something incorrectly I ask for insight not your crappy opinion, go buy a ladder
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Big_Ant » August 25th, 2006, 1:50 pm

lipshipsattitude wrote:let me bow down oh great wise one seeing as how you were obviously born with infinite wisdom and need not ask such questions..

No, I was not, nor have I claimed to have. However, I do know that when I come and ask people for advise, I first of all don't try and tell them what they can and cannot comment on, and second, if I'm asking, and these people are more experienced than me, I would listen to their advice, not wait until I decide that it is ok to listen. Why ask if you aren't going to listen. Since day one when you came here people have told you that your dog is running you and that is the majority of your problems, but have you taken that advice? NOPE!

lipshipsattitude wrote:I flippin came here to ask a question because I have my dog's best interest in mind, if I'm doing something incorrectly I ask for insight not your crappy opinion, go buy a ladder

If you had your dog's best interest in mind then you would listen to the advice that people have given you and not keep asking questions when you know it's all going to go back to the same damn answer they've been giving you.

AND WHAT THE HELL DOES A LADDER HAVE TO DO WITH PIT BULLS AND OPINIONS?

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » August 25th, 2006, 1:52 pm

Come one guys, give the girl a break. She is trying to learn and she is learning.

Yep - that is why we've been encouraging you to NOT free-feed Rory.
Remember, she IS a dog - she needs YOU to make the decisions! If you set her food out and she doesn't eat it, up it goes, until you get home, and at her dinner time, give it to her after she sits (NILIF) and then if she refuses to eat, up it goes, AGAIN until breakfast. She'll begin to look foward to her meals and she'll realize you're in control of her eating, and will respond. Voila, no more games at mealtime!

This is good advice & will help you in the long run to let her know who rules the roost. It will actually help you in more ways than one, once she realizes who is boss ( you by controlling her food) she will be easier to live with.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Big_Ant » August 25th, 2006, 2:03 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Come one guys, give the girl a break. She is trying to learn and she is learning.

While I'm all for giving people "breaks", I don't see it with her.

What I have seen is someone who posts, tells us not to comment on particular things, or gets mad when we mention things that we notice. She points out that she is making mistakes, but doesn't do anything about it. And does not listen to the advice until it's drilled in.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby rockermom » August 25th, 2006, 2:06 pm

Hmmm Well I would like to help out but I dont have a problem with this one. ROcky choms down his food within seconds. There was only maybe 2x he did not eat his breakfeast and it was like his 2nd week in my home. However shortly a couple of weeks after being i in my home Rocky is to go into his crate and lay down at meal time. He is told "leave it". He is to wait there untill I am finished putting the food in the bowl and put the scooper away. Then I wait a bit and say "Eat" He comes out and gobbles it up. So now every eve around 6:30 Rocky sits by his food bowl looking at the clock. THe second I head to were food cabinet is he comes to check if I am getting food he than runs to his crate or I comand him "IN" I started doing this with NILIF. He never refuses a meal and if he did I would think his belly is upset or something. Maybe set schedule will help her. For me I worry too much so leaving him with a bully stick or a pigs ear would worry me too much the way he gobbles. SO If I am going out for long day I will freeze stuff in a Kong like toy. I have a few cheap versions from walmart. If I am going out for short period I just stick a buiscuit in the kong. I am just telling you what I choose to do because most of what I do is bits and peices of what I read some do. Just some ideas. Also maybe she only needs to eat once a day. Some dogs only eat once a day right?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » August 25th, 2006, 2:08 pm

Some dogs only eat once a day right?

Yep, mine get fed once a day...........if they're good. :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Magnolia618 » August 25th, 2006, 2:30 pm

I would freak the f*ck out if Maggie or Trey refused to eat :shock: I guess that goes along with raw :neener:

You've gotten some excellent advice. People really are trying to help you! You can learn alot here. :wink:
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby lellis34 » August 25th, 2006, 9:58 pm

I've not had a problem with feeding either.

However, on a personal comment in here. There are several of us who are here trying to learn as much as we can about the breed because we've come into them in one way or another. However, some folks when commenting - and I'm sure trying to help - seem to have a little bit of an edge and the suggestions or advice come of as condescention or "what are these idiots doing". Because we're not actually talking to each other, and things are written, sometimes things don't come across as they're intended. I think it would be good for everyone to try and keep that in mind when they're offering advice. We're all here for the same reason - cuz we love our dogs and the breed. Can't we all just get along? :D
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
Tuck: “you can say that again”
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-ZxcPE33w
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby msvette2u » August 25th, 2006, 10:27 pm

However, some folks when commenting - and I'm sure trying to help - seem to have a little bit of an edge

What you are sensing is frustration that some people come on here, ask for advice, then pick and choose what advice they'll take, or ask for advice and ignore it completely, then get pissy when we say "hey we've told you this before" Like Big Ant suggested, if you're asking advice here it obviously means you respect the opinions given here (some of us have owned dogs longer-some people on here are even trainers!), but if that is the case, why ignore the advice completely?
Why keep coming back and complaining about the same issues that, if you(they) would have listened in the first place, you(they) would not be dealing with it?
msvette2u
I live here

Return to Training & Behavior