Dry food Question

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby SpiritFngrz » August 25th, 2006, 10:52 am

do you mean it's Purina?
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby jlewin » August 25th, 2006, 10:55 am

i believe purina mills is the same company as purina yes. but this food i could not find listed on the purina web site and it is definately not next to other purina products in the store. the clerk had only good things to say about it and bad things to say about products like beneful etc. which they also carry, but yes the purina name made me nervous that's why i just grabbed samples and came on here to inquire.
jlewin
Just Whelped

Postby Romanwild » August 25th, 2006, 1:39 pm

I hate doing searches but in a couple of our past threads we kind of made a lsit of all the premium foods that are out there.

I'm lucky that a friend of mine carries nothing but the top rated ones. I have been rotating between. Innova, Innova EVO, Chicken soup, nature's variety herring and sweet potatoe (Dreyfus does best on evo and NV) Diamond is good on Chicken soup.)

I think we listed about 10-15 brands that were good.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby jlewin » August 25th, 2006, 2:47 pm

so i gather it has some corn meal and some beet pulp. not the best, but better than most is the feeling i get. the question is how much better would a canidae be, if i could get them to eat it, or a timberwolf be if i bite the bullet and buy it. if they are leagues above this exclusive brand than i have no problem doing it but if it is just a small difference i would stick with the exclusive, they like it, it's readily available locally and at a decent price. (aprox 25.00 per 35 lbs)
jlewin
Just Whelped

Postby chewbecca » August 25th, 2006, 5:02 pm

SpiritFngrz wrote:There are numerous people on here who feed Canidae, and looking at the ingredients, it is a great food. Timberwolf is also a popular one.
That said, I think a couple people on here have also used the Kirkland's brand you speak of from Costco (made by Diamond).
Maybe they could shed light on this. Or if you could post the ingredients like Michelle said that would be good also

Speaking of Timberwolf, they're coming out with CANNED in a few months.
I'm a dork and find this kind of exciting.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » August 25th, 2006, 6:31 pm

Oh wow, that would be awesome!!!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » August 25th, 2006, 6:31 pm

Romanwild wrote:I hate doing searches but in a couple of our past threads we kind of made a lsit of all the premium foods that are out there.

I'm lucky that a friend of mine carries nothing but the top rated ones. I have been rotating between. Innova, Innova EVO, Chicken soup, nature's variety herring and sweet potatoe (Dreyfus does best on evo and NV) Diamond is good on Chicken soup.)

Charles, when you rotate food, how often do you do it? Every 6 mos., or a year?
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » August 25th, 2006, 8:34 pm

jlewin wrote:so i gather it has some corn meal and some beet pulp. not the best, but better than most is the feeling i get. the question is how much better would a canidae be, if i could get them to eat it, or a timberwolf be if i bite the bullet and buy it. if they are leagues above this exclusive brand than i have no problem doing it but if it is just a small difference i would stick with the exclusive, they like it, it's readily available locally and at a decent price. (aprox 25.00 per 35 lbs)

Why don't you pick up another sample of the TO and add some warm water before you feed it. Sometimes that alone can make it more appetizing to them because it releases the smell.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby jlewin » August 25th, 2006, 9:48 pm

i take that to mean you think the TO is much better than the exclusive. i actually did not try the TO it was the canidae they weren't interested in. Timberwolf is a little bit price prohibitive for me. I will try that with the Canidae though.
jlewin
Just Whelped

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » August 25th, 2006, 10:03 pm

Three of my dogs eat Canidae (includes my senior) and do very well. I'm always amazed at how wonderful their coats look.
My fourth dog eats TimberWolf's grain-free formula because of here severe allergies. I have to order it directly from the company (free shipping) and so far I've been very happy with it, but yes it is expensive. I wouldn't be able to feed it to all four dogs. I've heard their customer service sucks, but I haven't had any problems yet.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby ellie@ny » August 25th, 2006, 10:24 pm

My female was very gassy on Candidae,I mean at almost every step on the stairs etc...and it's gone since we switched to raw. :D
I can sleep better now...
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » August 26th, 2006, 12:53 am

jlewin wrote:i take that to mean you think the TO is much better than the exclusive. i actually did not try the TO it was the canidae they weren't interested in. Timberwolf is a little bit price prohibitive for me. I will try that with the Canidae though.

Ooops, sorry!! Yeah, try it with the Canidae. :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Romanwild » August 29th, 2006, 8:38 am

SpiritFngrz wrote:
Romanwild wrote:I hate doing searches but in a couple of our past threads we kind of made a lsit of all the premium foods that are out there.

Charles, when you rotate food, how often do you do it? Every 6 mos., or a year?

I have been rotating every 2 months or so. I think I will end up doing raw and using Evo for convenience. I still have a bunch more foods to try before my experiment is done. But my gut tells me that raw is the way to go.
Romanwild
I live here

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health