Kibble

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Iris » August 24th, 2006, 5:27 pm

It's seems like I'm on an impossible mission....

Finding a good food in Sweden is not an easy task, I can assure you... I want a meat based kibble with pure, quality ingredients...Don't really know what to do :|

Some of the "ok" brands that are available here are:
Eagle Pack, Precise, ANF...
Then we have all the common brands:
Eukanuba, Hills, Royal Canin, Pedigree...
Well, you know :( ...

There's this Swedish made brand though, I'll try and translate the ingredients for you:
Meat meal (chicken, pork & lamb), rice flour, animal fat (chicken fat & lard), chicken liver, eggs, B-vitamin complex, pro-biotics, bone meal, chicken & pork cartilage, rice fibre, vitamins, minerals...
PROTEIN: 23 % (89 & meat, 11 % rice)
FAT: 16 %

What do you think????? Opinions please!
Iris
Just Whelped

Postby Magnolia618 » August 24th, 2006, 6:04 pm

If I were you, I'd feed the Royal Canin and supplement it with raw and other good stuff (eggs, yogurt, veggies, etc...) . Or just go raw :wink:
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Iris » August 24th, 2006, 6:11 pm

The Swedish (European) formula of Royal Canin aren't even close to the American formula - pure crap I would say!!!! Raw meat and veggies are always included in their diet though...
Iris
Just Whelped

Postby katiek0417 » August 24th, 2006, 6:14 pm

Yeah, I would say to just go raw....you'd be better off....
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Magnolia618 » August 24th, 2006, 6:16 pm

What Katie said.
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby mnp13 » August 24th, 2006, 6:25 pm

another vote for raw, my dogs are doing fantastic on it. Riggs has put on a couple pounds and his hair is coming back in nicely.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Iris » August 24th, 2006, 6:35 pm

Of course I know raw is BEST :!:
I did feed my dogs a completely raw diet a couple of years ago and I was more than satisfied with the results. It's very expensive though, but that's not my biggest concern. I don't have enough space in my house for 2 freezers (which I do need if I'm going to bulk up for an entire month at a time). My 'kibble quest' is in finding a quality food (as quality as kibble can be...) and add raw meats and veggies to it (as I do now... but aren't all that happy with the brand of dog food I'm feeding, unfortunately).
Iris
Just Whelped

Postby katiek0417 » August 25th, 2006, 6:50 am

Iris wrote:Of course I know raw is BEST :!:
I did feed my dogs a completely raw diet a couple of years ago and I was more than satisfied with the results. It's very expensive though, but that's not my biggest concern. I don't have enough space in my house for 2 freezers (which I do need if I'm going to bulk up for an entire month at a time). My 'kibble quest' is in finding a quality food (as quality as kibble can be...) and add raw meats and veggies to it (as I do now... but aren't all that happy with the brand of dog food I'm feeding, unfortunately).

Rather than a second freezer, have you thought about buying a vacuum sealer? I bought one, and saved a ton of room. I have a freezer strictly for the raw meats, etc for the dogs....it would get filled after buying 50 lbs of chicken, bagged separately for meals. So, I bought the vacuum sealer, sealed the individual meals, and now have more room....
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby SpiritFngrz » August 25th, 2006, 8:11 am

can you order the food you want online?
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Iris » August 26th, 2006, 1:28 pm

A vacuum sealer... It never even crossed my mind!!!! Will look into it...

About ordering on line... Canidae is now available in the UK, and I thought - finally! But when I checked the shipping costs would be tremendously high, ridiculously high :(
Iris
Just Whelped

Return to Nutrition & Health