Killin' the grass

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby 04100824 » August 20th, 2006, 7:24 pm

You could run a car off of Reno's pee. He drinks tons and TONS of water, and it's still yellow, potent, and kills grass. We don't have our own yard right now, and I can still go outside to walk him and tell where his common pee spots are.

SO... we're moving into our new house next week, and are planning to have the back yard sodded the day after closing. I may as well kiss my grass good-bye now.

BUT recently, I had some friends tell me that there's something you can put in their food or water that stops their pee from killing the grass. Has anyone ever used anything like this before? Does it work? Would it be harmful to him in any way? I've only found a couple of products that claim to lower the acid in their urine and help save your lawn... if it works, and it's not harmful, I'd love to look into it, otherwise I'm ok with having a dead lawn... but it'd be nice to have it pretty and green back there.

Or should I just teach him to go in one spot, or pour water over his first pee in the morning? :|
Confident Young Bully

Postby nikki h » August 20th, 2006, 7:36 pm

im of no help, as if you were to see my yard, you'd see yellow spots in various areas. lol but i've heard the only thing that really works is heavily watering down the spots as soon as the dog goes. :| good thread though, and i'll be keeping up with it too for when we get our own house. :)
nikki h
Just Whelped

Postby rockermom » August 21st, 2006, 5:39 pm

Ok I heard tomato juice works however also heard not so good for the belly. You can water down the spots as soon as he goes which means you follow him around with watering can. Or you can do what I have done. Walked Rocky on lead to his spot. He has a couple of spots in the yard depending on which area he is contained in. Sometimes he does not make it there but he rarely pees on the grass and never poos on grass he chooses to go off into a mulch or hay area. He also does NOT lift his leg. If he does go on the grass and I catch it I will water it down which does help. When you walk him to the spot do the command (mine is take a leak) when he takes it make a big deal have treats if ya want. It takes time but it should work. Dont make the spot toooo far away from the door. Rocky's spot is a bit far, but first thing in the morning he trots this gotta pee trot and heads to his spot. Oh yeah I also decorated that corner a little with some dog statues from dollar store so people get the idea not to go hang out over there. I would like to get a fire hydrant too. Good Luck!!!
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby babyreba » August 21st, 2006, 5:43 pm

i have found that the combination of dog pee and dog play on the grass to pretty much mean . . . no grass for me.

here's what my yard looks like right now. granted, we've had a massive heatwave and i didn't water my yard, but still . . . a lot of this is the result of 2 male dogs peeing on the grass every day. :(

i do use a yucca-based supplement that sorta helps but that's about it . . . this fall, i think i'm going to be revamping the yard and doing away with the grass. i planted a row of hedge-type trees along the back, and i'm going to mulch back in that area. in fact, you can see the pile of mulch bags sitting on the other side of the fence in this picture! then i think we'll do a couple of raised beds and a small patio and maybe some kind of low-lying ground cover rather than grass. grass and dogs just don't mix unless you have a ton of space. me, i just have a small city yard.
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » August 21st, 2006, 5:49 pm

I seen some things at Petco last weekend, and just did a quick search on their site. I've never used any of the products, and not sure about them, but it's probably what your friends were talking about. :| At least something along these lines.

http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Product ... +5621.aspx
Jenn
undecided

Postby katiek0417 » August 21st, 2006, 6:55 pm

I've been using Grass Saver. It takes close to a month to start working. They're peanut butter flavored treats. I've been giving them to all the dogs at my house. I'm waiting to see if it starts working. I've heard good things about it....I'll let you know in another few weeks how it does.
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby 04100824 » August 21st, 2006, 9:12 pm

katiek0417 wrote:I've been using Grass Saver. It takes close to a month to start working. They're peanut butter flavored treats. I've been giving them to all the dogs at my house. I'm waiting to see if it starts working. I've heard good things about it....I'll let you know in another few weeks how it does.

That would be awesome! I'm very interrested to see if it works.
Confident Young Bully

Postby mnp13 » August 21st, 2006, 9:43 pm

Make a small gravel spot and teach them to pee there. You'll want to water it a few times a week so it doesn't smell but they will get used to it pretty quickly.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 21st, 2006, 10:56 pm

Damn, grass is supposed to be green? Who knew.... :|
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Return to Nutrition & Health