weight pull

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby nikki h » August 14th, 2006, 6:39 pm

can anyone tell me what specific type harnesses are good for weight pull and how to start off? also, does a dog have to be registered to enter or be purebred? (2 purebreds, 2 mutts, lol) links are welcomed reading!

thanks. :D
nikki h
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » August 14th, 2006, 6:43 pm

You need a harness specifially designed for weight pull. My dog has one from Alaskan Dream Malimutes. Rob likes Harnesses by Carol.

For UKC and ADBA pulls your dog must be registered. If you have an altered pure bred you can get an ILP number to pull. IWPA lets dogs of any breed pull, you just have to join.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Big_Ant » August 14th, 2006, 6:52 pm

Maybe it's just me Michelle, or I might be looking at the wrong URL, but the IWPA doesn't seem to have any pulls on the West Coast (California specifically).

Sorry to highjack!

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby JCleve86 » August 14th, 2006, 6:53 pm

What she said. A lot of folks like CDpits harnesses too...that's what I have... http://www.itsmysite.com/cdpits/

To start off...depends on the dog. The particular dog I'm working with is a senior (8 to 10 probably) girl with crazy high drive and no manners. I started off just leash training her, and than taught her "stop" (as in, stop whatever you are doing and don't move) and then "stay."

Oh hell...I'll end up writing a book...just go to here: http://www.apbt.info/tiki-index.php?pag ... l+Training

I read that and re-read it for like two weeks before I moved past leash training. It's all there, and it works, and its good sound advice.

My girl is now happily pulling a tire along, we're going to add more weight soon.
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby mnp13 » August 14th, 2006, 7:00 pm

Big_Ant wrote:Maybe it's just me Michelle, or I might be looking at the wrong URL, but the IWPA doesn't seem to have any pulls on the West Coast (California specifically).

Sorry to highjack!

- Anthony

The season doesn't start for a month, and the site hasn't been updated since July, so I'd keep ckeching back! there were only 3 pulls last year in that reagon though.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby nikki h » August 14th, 2006, 7:03 pm

thanks guys! i'll definitely read the link. and thanks for the recommendations as well. i'll definitely go with what would work best and what the boyfriend and i can agree on.
nikki h
Just Whelped

Postby Big_Ant » August 14th, 2006, 7:06 pm

mnp13 wrote:
Big_Ant wrote:Maybe it's just me Michelle, or I might be looking at the wrong URL, but the IWPA doesn't seem to have any pulls on the West Coast (California specifically).

Sorry to highjack!

- Anthony

The season doesn't start for a month, and the site hasn't been updated since July, so I'd keep ckeching back! there were only 3 pulls last year in that reagon though.

Thanks.

I've considered getting an ILP for Weda and just going that route, but I'd love to check out IWPA if it was more consistent.

- Anthony
Big_Ant
Enlightened Bully

Postby grizzly » August 14th, 2006, 11:08 pm

nikki- if you go to carol's websitehttp://www.harnessesbycarol.com/
there are three good training articals.

Rob
grizzly
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby nikki h » August 14th, 2006, 11:42 pm

grizzly wrote:nikki- if you go to carol's websitehttp://www.harnessesbycarol.com/

Rob

thanks again. looking forward to doing some stuff.
nikki h
Just Whelped

Postby Karen » August 15th, 2006, 9:29 am

grizzly wrote:nikki- if you go to carol's websitehttp://www.harnessesbycarol.com/

Rob

There are also pics of Dilly in her spiffy harness ;)

Michelle you can LP an AMBOR dog ukc to perform as well. Just need to follow that paperwork. AMBOR registeres mixes to do obed. and is American Mixed Breed Obedience Registry. NADAC has combined with AMBOR for Agility.
http://www.amborusa.com/ is where you can reg. with AMBOR.

http://www.ukcdogs.com/RegistrationFees.htm is where you can find the application to LP your mixed breed dog. There is a line that sayc check here if mixed breed no pictures necessary. Breed will be listed as AMBOR.
Karen, Cuddles, Dilly the Understudy, and Rowdy the Ruckus Raiser
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby nikki h » August 15th, 2006, 11:37 am

thanks for that karen, that really opens up other opportunities for us.
nikki h
Just Whelped

Postby bahamutt99 » August 15th, 2006, 2:20 pm

Big_Ant wrote:I've considered getting an ILP for Weda and just going that route, but I'd love to check out IWPA if it was more consistent.

- Anthony

Ant, we started out pulling in the IWPA. I thought it was pretty good, and unless things have changed in the year that I've been out, there wasn't a lot of the scary stuff you see at some other clubs' pulls. Of course, that could vary from region to region. Downside is they only offer 3 titles, and that's the main reason I compete. Anyway, I recommend them. Good people, friendly environment, smoothly-run pulls.

Why not do both though? You're in California? There are a few UKC weight pull clubs there, so you might want to check it out. I prefer UKC over the others out there for a few reasons. One being that you can call your dog from an inch away if you want -- as long as the dog doesn't touch you -- not have to be on the other side of the end line. I also like being able to hit the pulls that are in conjunction with shows, trials, etc. And they offer gobs of titles, not just a few.

JMO. I would cross-compete in different venues all the time if possible. We've got ADBA all over down here, but they don't like dogs with no parts. LOL.
~~~
[b]Lindsay
[i]& the [url=http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99/index.htm]Gravity Dogs[/url][/i][/b]
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » August 19th, 2006, 11:43 pm

Totally off the subject, but how cute is this?

http://www.harnessesbycarol.com/images/ ... %20Pic.JPG
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby JCleve86 » August 20th, 2006, 12:04 am

bahamutt99 wrote:I prefer UKC over the others out there for a few reasons. One being that you can call your dog from an inch away if you want -- as long as the dog doesn't touch you -- not have to be on the other side of the end line.

See this is where I'm getting confused on training. I don't know whether to stay close to her and tell her to work work work, or to tell her to STAY, walk 20 to 30 feet away, and THEN tell her to work work work. I've done both. She doe's better when she doesn't have to stay, obviously. Suggestions?

And then there's the conditioning, where she's just constantly pulling...should I use a different command for that? SO MANY VARIABLES an OCD person like me can't handle it!!!
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby bahamutt99 » August 20th, 2006, 12:18 am

JCleve86 wrote:See this is where I'm getting confused on training. I don't know whether to stay close to her and tell her to work work work, or to tell her to STAY, walk 20 to 30 feet away, and THEN tell her to work work work. I've done both. She doe's better when she doesn't have to stay, obviously. Suggestions?

And then there's the conditioning, where she's just constantly pulling...should I use a different command for that? SO MANY VARIABLES an OCD person like me can't handle it!!!

What I like to do is teach "wait" and "work." I sit and "wait" Loki, walk to the end of her 6-foot leash, then call. That way, if she decides to fart around, I can give a leash correction to get her attention. I back up as she's pulling to me, then stop, praise and pets when she gets to me. Make her sit, back up 6 feet, lather rinse repeat. We usually do 20-30 reps like that in a session.

ETA: Just remembered, though. If your dog breaks the "wait" and starts pulling, don't make her stop or correct her. Just let her finish the pull and start again. You don't want your dog to ever think that pulling in the pull harness is against the rules.

You can teach pulling without a wait, but if you ever pull under a club that has a line rule, you're going to have to hustle to get over that line before your dog moves the cart. Its actually a bit funny to go to an IWPA or APA (I think) pull and see people turning real fast from their dog and leaping over that line.

I probably wouldn't give the same command when you're just taking the dog for a walk. Because when you give your pulling command -- "work" or "dig" or "pull" or whatever you use -- you're teaching the dog that they're only going to have to pull so far and then they'll be able to get their reward. Changing the rules might cause confusion. I usually just say "Let's go!" and start walking if we're taking a drag-walk as opposed to doing actual training.
~~~
[b]Lindsay
[i]& the [url=http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99/index.htm]Gravity Dogs[/url][/i][/b]
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Postby JCleve86 » August 20th, 2006, 1:02 am

Okay...makes sense. Thank you!

Next Q: When pulling UKC, do you make Loki wait just like at an IWPA show or do dogs generally adapt okay to switching "styles?" I suppose if Kya REALLY understands "wait" she'll do it when I tell her...I just don't want to end up with a confused dog who fouls out! lol
JCleve86
Confident Young Bully

Postby mnp13 » August 20th, 2006, 10:12 am

As I understood it, your dog can start pulling at any time at an IWPA pull, you just can't give commands until after you have crossed the line. :?
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby grizzly » August 20th, 2006, 11:44 am

last year iwpa did away with the rule of having to get across the line before your dog starts pulling.
most all clubs did away with this rule except amca(malamute club)
i've competed heavy for 5 years with ok results until last season when i totally retrained griz to start pulling the minute i leave him-as long as i do not speak to him until i cross the line & proceed across the line.
some people spend more time getting there dog to stay than it takes to complete the pull(waste of time and energy) if your dog is ready to go ,let him/her go. i,ve even learned when hooking griz to the cart/sled to stand by his side and hold his coller ,and when he is ready he will start to drop his head- at that moment i let his coller go and head for the finish line. with any luck griz is right behind me pullin'.sometimes i think dog get confused with stay/work-you don't want to teach them to stay if they want to pull. some dogs have no problem with both comands, but where you get in troble with stay is on snow pulls (sometimes on carts too)-the longer it takes you & your dog to get pullin' the more froze up the sled gets

ther is a different reason to train your dog this way-calibration. a dog who has been trained to pull right away will always pull right away until the weight gets too heavy. this helps me judge when to pull him out. every track is different . at ukc enfield griz pulled all the weight they had( great track , level hard concrete) at other pulls the same dog had trouble with half that weight.

the rule change with iwpa about the finish line , changed the way i compete , and now griz runs with the best dogs in the world!

Rob
grizzly
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby bahamutt99 » August 20th, 2006, 2:26 pm

Thanks for that info, guys. I'd heard that the IWPA was thinking about doing away with the line rule, but I didn't know if it had happened.

JCleve, when I'm pulling Loki, anymore I don't make her wait because she's a slow starter anyway. She sloooowly walks up, slowly leans into the harness, slowly starts digging. She's just not a real exciteable dog, unless you just got her out of her crate or its mealtime. But when we train, I do waits and works. I figure its a good thing for her to know anyway, whether or not we use it in practice.
~~~
[b]Lindsay
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Return to Sports