Cuts

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 17th, 2006, 6:06 pm

Magnolia618 wrote:
every week and a half or so

Holy moly! :shock:

Oooh... the Burt's Bees stuff is comfrey salve! My sister makes that stuff. I have a couple little jars hanging around my house. Works GREAT!

Holy Moly? Is that bad? Too much or too little?
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Magnolia618 » August 17th, 2006, 6:11 pm

Too much! I wouldnt bathe a dog more than once a month. Mine get baths a few times a YEAR! lol
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Marinepits » August 17th, 2006, 6:30 pm

Magnolia618 wrote:Too much! I wouldnt bathe a dog more than once a month. Mine get baths a few times a YEAR! lol

I agree. Unless they do something extra-gross like roll in poo, my guys get baths roughly every 2 to 3 months or so.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 17th, 2006, 6:41 pm

Oh lord really? I was told that every two weeks or so was average and that my 1.5 week interval was a lil much but I didnt realize it was THAT bad. Well I guess I'll have to do some further thinking but Rory dosnt seem to suffer from it.

Do you let your dog sleep on your bed?
Dont they stink?

I cant see not giving Rory a bath after she frolicks in the ocean. She has sand in all the wrong places and the salt water leaves her sticky and itchy. If I DONT giver her a bath the same day that she has played in salt water she is not a happy girl. If she just has a little sand on her I brush it off and do the warm cloth thing. I dopnt bathe her unless it a serious stink, I dont mind her doggy smell but thinking more on it we are pretty actie so at least once a week she finds herslef in some serious mess. Especially when she spends a day with my dad on his fishing boat, ugh!

Please share your bathing rituals with me
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Marinepits » August 17th, 2006, 6:44 pm

lipshipsattitude wrote:Please share your bathing rituals with me

Hey, now! This AIN'T that type of forum! :D
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Magnolia618 » August 17th, 2006, 6:45 pm

Do you let your dog sleep on your bed?
Dont they stink?

Yep.

Nope.

:D

My dogs really dont have that dog smell. If they get dirty, usually they just run around and it just... comes off :| lol

After swimming in the ocean, I would probably just hose her down to get the sand off :|

2 weeks is definitely excessive. I can't imagine it would be good for her skin, either.
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 17th, 2006, 7:16 pm

Well poop! She just went to the vet 2 motnsh ago and she had a clean bill of health. She dosnt have skin probs, no itchies, bald spots, allergies scratchies, or anyhting except the ones incurred by activity. Maybe she dosnt have probs cause I use that gentle septiderm wash but now I'm all freaked out!
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Magnolia618 » August 17th, 2006, 7:19 pm

I dont think its anything to freak out about... but I'd cut it down a bit.

She really doesnt need a bath every 1.5 weeks. Dogs that come into the grooming shop usually have monthly appointments.
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » August 17th, 2006, 7:44 pm

I bath my dogs if we have to go somewhere,but usually just every 1,5 months.
If they get into something,I just wipe them with wet paper towels,or baby wipes.
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby mnp13 » August 17th, 2006, 8:28 pm

Ruby's last bath was last June (2005) when she jumped into the lake from the boat. She was soaked so I figured I would just add insult to injury. I gave Riggs a bath right after I got him and then in April and June before his shows.

If she is that stinky and itchy that she needs baths that often I would think about switching her food and see if she gets less oily or less dandruff-y
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » August 17th, 2006, 9:40 pm

Um I'd say every week and a half or so

Thats how often I bathe Oscar and he has skin problems. You may want to consider switching her diet (did I see a thread about that?), starting her on fish oil supplements of some kind and/or talking to the vet about this. IMO for a "normal" dog this is too often. Perhaps try doing a water only bathe every second time and see if that helps?

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby cheekymunkee » August 17th, 2006, 10:27 pm

I bathe mine every couple of months. The only smelly thing about them really is their feet, they get the frito foot funk. I will wash their feet but other than that I don't bathe them often at all. I bathe Ollie a bit more because she has long hair & tends to smell like death but the bull dogs don't smell.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Hoyden » August 17th, 2006, 11:20 pm

In the warmer months, I don't bathe Birdie because she jumps into the kiddie pool with the kids.

But typically, they get a bath every 1.5 months or when my husband says they stink.
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby SpiritFngrz » August 18th, 2006, 8:13 am

I LOVE Burt's Bees stuff. I'll have to look for the green gunk..

Anything with chlorhexidine gluconate is a good anti-bacterial- Oronine,Hibiclens, Hibiscrub, ChloraPrep, BIOPATCH, and Exidine.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Mind_doc » August 18th, 2006, 9:18 am

A remember reading about a product called "Nustock" I think farmers use it on cows and horses and swear by it. I heard good things but have never used it.
Mind_doc
Just Whelped

Previous

Return to Nutrition & Health