Am I a mean Mommy?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 17th, 2006, 2:39 pm

So my best friend Kim has the cutest Jack Russell, Minnie and she has wanted to let Minnie play with my Rory for the longest time. While Rory has yet to EVER show any dog aggression she had also never played with such a small dog. Minnie is small for her size but lives with two large dogs and as Kim puts it "she dosnt take no crap" so after several months I relented and thought if we introduce them properly it may be good for Rory anyhow to learn to interact with smaller dogs.
So last night Kim parked down the street from my house and Rory and I walked down to meet them (on neutral territory) and they seemed happy to meet so we walked back to my house to let them romp in the yard. All the while I had to keep Rory in check, she really wanted to wrestle and rough play which is what she does with her Dobie and other pittie friends but she obeyed my commands VERY well and over all I was proud of her. All 4 of us took a super long walk down the beach and when we got home is when I felt like the biggest meany ever.
Lil Minnie runs into the house, jumps on my bed and Rory looked at me like "you better do something about that" so I grab Minnie off of my bed and she runs straight to Rory's toy basket. Rory's ears went back and she was NOT happy about that at all. I tried to make a comment to Kim about it because I would never let Rory go into a strange dog's house and steal its toys so I got Rory a fresh clean bone but of course she wanted nothing to do with it. Plus Minnie had chose a bully stick, uh oh! I was making dinner for Kim and I so its not like I could tell them to leave, her dog was being the rude one and had started growling at Rory if she got to close so I made Rory get up on ther couch (her coveted spot) and stay. My baby sat on the couch for a hour and a half staring at lil Minnie eat that bully stick and alternately giving me the evil eye. I gave in after 30 minutes and made her a special wet food dinner since it was dinner time and that was the only time she got off the couch. Throughout this time I would go to Rory pet her and praise her for staying and being a good girl as did Kimmie but Rory pouted all night and wouldnt even sleep with me. So my question is......
Was I being to disloyal to my dog or was it a good lesson to her about discipline and manners. I tried to take the focus from Minnie and give Rory her own bone, praise, and special food. I was very proud of her and actually expected a little more disobediance from her, ie getting to rowdy or fighting with me to stay on the couch but overall she was a good girl. Regardless I dont want to make this a habit, it was harf work keeping a eye on her the whole time, talking to Kim, adn making dinner. I dont mind sharing walks because its good interaction for Rory but what do you all think Rory thought of the situation?
PS.
This morning we made a special trip to Petco and I got her a huge Galileo bone, she seemd to accept my gift happily!
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jenn » August 17th, 2006, 2:42 pm

Sounds like she was a very good girl for you. I think that if they visit again, that I'd be sure and pick up everything out of either dog's reach though.
Jenn
undecided

Postby Malli » August 17th, 2006, 3:10 pm

I also think that Rory did very well, BUT, I agree.

Its her house and her toys and its not fair for another dog to be bossy about it; not to mention, its likely for most Pits that they may eventually just decide they've also had enough "crap" and actually do something.
I totally think the solution is to take away Rory's stuff. If she looks like its too much for her to deal with the dog in her house or she's had enough, give her a room to hang out in alone and away from the other dog. Breaks in interaction and play are IMPORTANT.
Os was playing with a Great Dane the other day. She was offleash, he had to be on (he does not respond well off, especially with distractions); I seperated them when he started walking away from her and avoiding the play. I WANT them to be friends, she doesn't understand how big and strong she is, and he doesn't know how to tell her any more strongly that he's had enough, so I help out. It reinforces that he can trust me when we are with other dogs, and that I will protect him and I am the leader.
It also prevents a fight.

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 17th, 2006, 3:11 pm

I think it's good that she listened to you, but that could have gotten ugly. I would NEVER let another dog come over and just start taking Inara's toys, especially fab ones like bully sticks. Rory needs to know that you're going to protect her, and by letting another dog take her things, you're not protecting her. Does that make sense? And I could be way off, but I just don't feel it's right for another dog to be allowed to play with your dogs toys.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » August 17th, 2006, 3:14 pm

Actually, I think you avoided a TOTAL disaster by the skin of your teeth.

You brought a strange dog into your home and allowed that dog to take over your home and made your dog sit and just take it. Had Rory decided to teach that dog "a lesson" it may have been badly injured before you could even blink. JRT's are little scrappers though, so both dogs would have been on the way to the ER.

Next time, put all of the toys away. No treats, no nothing and I'd put the guest on leash if it can't behave itself.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » August 17th, 2006, 3:36 pm

I agree. Mine don't get treats or toys around each other & they LIVE together. I have two that despise each other & I will not let the other dog on their bed. Munkee can go in Amanda's room & Justice in mine but they can't lay on each other's beds. That is THEIR space. I don't allow them to have each other's toys either. Mainly becuase Munkee just wants to destroy toys & Justice is good with hers. Good for her for staying on the sofa though! :)
Last edited by cheekymunkee on August 17th, 2006, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 17th, 2006, 3:36 pm

Oh believe me, I realize the potential for disaster and I take the blame for not thinking ahead. It was all spur of the moment and I felt like such a traitor to her regardless of how proud I was. I had her immaturity on my side, thankfully she has yet to display aggression but man oh man she was shooting me dagger looks like " I cant believe you traitor"! The ONLY dog I have ever let in my house before is my sister's old man dog, half lab half pit who is super close with Rory.
Anywhoo I dont think I'm up for putting her to the test like that again in addition to feeling like a big peice of poop but on our walk they were a dream, each invloved in their own search of smells so I need to convey to Kim that the at home visits are not ok but it also gave me a impression of how it would be if I ever got another dog. My conclusion is that Rory has been so accustomed to it being just me and her from the start that I think she will always preffer it that way which is just fine with me!
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby msvette2u » August 17th, 2006, 5:13 pm

My conclusion is that Rory has been so accustomed to it being just me and her from the start that I think she will always preffer it that way which is just fine with me!

You seem to be missing the point, the whole evening could have been a "dream" if you'd just picked up EVERY TOY or chew in the household before inviting another dog in.
If it had been me I'd have removed all of my dog's belongings, etc, before another dog comes in the house.
Even had I forgotten one down, I'd have taken it from the other dog and put it ALL UP, post haste.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 17th, 2006, 5:26 pm

Oh please understand I know I was a idiot in this case but I wasnt prepared for them to stay and eat dinner. That is no exscuse I realize and thankfully I had luck on my side. My poor girl!
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » August 17th, 2006, 6:50 pm

lipshipsattitude wrote:Oh please understand I know I was a idiot in this case but I wasnt prepared for them to stay and eat dinner. That is no exscuse I realize and thankfully I had luck on my side. My poor girl!

If you get stuck in the same situation again, maybe you could crate her dog? Or leash it and attach the leash to a table leg?

No matter what, I would pick up all toys and treats.

Things happen, you'll be ready for next time!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 17th, 2006, 7:00 pm

Thanks for not rippin on me too bad. I hate going on a forum, reading someone's post and thinking "are people really that dumb" So hopefully I didnt warrant to many of those thoughts, lol! I dont plan on putting my girl through that again and I have a idea that if she was older and not still so much of a puppy she may have been less tolerant. Bottom line is I felt it was wrong when it was happening and you all validated that for me and gave me great alternative ideas so thanks for that!
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » August 17th, 2006, 8:38 pm

Honey, if you didn't quite the forum after the trashing you got about leaving Rory out when you weren't home, nothings going to chase you away! lol

Bottom line is I felt it was wrong when it was happening and you all validated that for me

Next time go with your gut, it was spot on.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Return to Training & Behavior