Weasles

If it's a non-human, non-Pit Bull, family member, post it here!

Postby Jessie's_mom » August 3rd, 2006, 7:04 pm

Here's a picture of Jessie with Angel (the albino) and Spike

Jessie's_mom
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 3rd, 2006, 7:09 pm

She looks like she's not quite sure what to do with them!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Jessie's_mom » August 3rd, 2006, 7:34 pm

Here's the whole gang. From left to right: Spike, Angel, Morgan, and Merlin (he's my baby, and the old man in the family. He was my first pet and our family's first ferret...sweetest thing you'll ever meet...such a love bug)

Jessie's_mom
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » August 3rd, 2006, 7:51 pm

I love those little monsters!! My old roommate had two of them. They used to steal stuff out of the candy bowl (wrapped candy) and hide it under my sheets. So I'd crawl into bed at night amongst bite sized Snickers bars and packages of Smarties :) Crazy little things. My friend also had a few (3 I think) and her pit bull was terrified of them and one would chase her around the house trying to bite her. Poor vicious pit bull!
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Purple » August 3rd, 2006, 9:21 pm

EEK!!! How stinkin cute!!! I never had one, I've heard they are a whole lotta fun!
What's their life span?
Purple
I live here

Postby Jessie's_mom » August 3rd, 2006, 10:44 pm

They can live anywhere from 6 to 10 years depending on what resource you read. They are prone to ALOT of health problems. Merlin has insulinoma (pancreas tumors) and an enlarged heart and he's six. Morgan was a test/lab ferret, given the flu to test the flu vaccine when she was less than 2 months old. She now has IBD (like IBS for people) which may or may not be because of the testing...she's 5. The other two are just a year and so far, knock on wood, they are healthy. Most problems show up at 4 years or older.
They are ALOT of fun though and worth it all. Imagine the goofiest pit, shrink it down to 3 pounds and stretch its body out....that's a ferret. THey never grow up, and are balls of energy! They are such a riot and in 4 years, I've not gotten board. They're crazy!! :crazy:
Jessie's_mom
Just Whelped

Postby 04100824 » August 16th, 2006, 12:25 pm

How did you manage to get a hold of a test ferret? I didn't know you could do that! It's like...a rescued critter instead of a rescued dog?
Confident Young Bully

Postby Jessie's_mom » August 16th, 2006, 10:09 pm

There are alot of rescues for ferrets...they are so cute at the store, but require so much work that a lot of people don't want them once they hit their "terrible twos" at about 14 to 16 weeks (they are sold, spayed or nuetered at 6-8 weeks). Once the labs are done with their test subjects they give them to rescues to adopt out.
"To Be Great Is To Be Misunderstood."-Emerson
Jessie's_mom
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » August 17th, 2006, 11:14 am

They're soooo cute!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Jenn » August 17th, 2006, 11:25 am

They are cute. Do they stink as bad as people say they do?
Jenn
undecided

Postby Jessie's_mom » August 17th, 2006, 2:38 pm

They do have an odor. A lot of people think if you bathe them more frequently, they'll smell better, but it isn't true...they should be bathed no more than once a month (mine are every 6 months...unless they get dirty) because bathing dries out their skin and they produce more smelly oils on their skin. Honestly, if you don't over bathe them, and you keep their bedding clean (changed every couple of monthes) they really don't smell that bad....but then again after having them for a while, you tend not to notice it....kind of like your house smelling like dog, but only to those that don't own pets.
"To Be Great Is To Be Misunderstood."-Emerson
Jessie's_mom
Just Whelped

Postby SpiritFngrz » August 18th, 2006, 9:37 am

I loved my ferret. They are so much fun. My guy used to hop on the ground like a kitten and wait at my feet like a dog. He did stink though. If they didn't stink I would so get another one.
Unfortunately ferrets are like little tumor-factories and once they get older 6, 7 years old a large percentage of them develop tumors. That's what mine died of at the age of 7 :(
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby call2arms » August 28th, 2006, 7:27 pm

Oh, they're so cute! We used to have a ferret, she died from a cancer. She used to be the best playmate for my cat and my dog, she would beat up the cat so bad!!

She lived to be 7 years old, and then with the cancer we had to put her to sleep...

We did have her de-glanded (removal of anal glands). I find that the regular ferret smell is really not bad, but when she got very excited and happy (just playing, or being petted/scratched) she did SMELL. Once the glands were removed (at about age 4) that smell never came back.
call2arms
Boys Stink

Return to Four Legged, Finned and Feathered Family Members