130lb Pit Bull shot

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Miakoda » August 16th, 2006, 8:48 pm

Owner upset after officers shoot dog
August 16, 2006

Shun Carter, owner of slain pit bull puppy Dino, reacts after officers were forced to shoot the dog during a dog fight in Cedar Grove today. (Greg Pearson/The Times)

By John Andrew Prime
jprime@gannett.com

The owner of a pit bull shot by police officers in Shreveport's Cedar Grove neighborhood Tuesday says he thinks officers overreacted and plans to file a complaint.

Shun Carter, 19, of the 600 block of West 72nd Street, said he had just let his 11-month-old American pit bull, Dino, out to "attend to nature" when it got into a fight with another neighborhood dog.

Concerned neighbors called police about 9 a.m. to report the dogfight and when officers arrived, Dino charged an officer, who shot at it twice.

A least one round struck the dog but it got back up and charged another officer, said Shreveport police Sgt. Johnny Cook.

"The dog got back up, made circles and charged the other officer. The second officer shot at the dog four or five times. The dog dragged itself behind the house," Cook said.

Shreveport police spokeswoman Kacee Hargrave said the dog was struck in a leg and his hind area and was taken by Caddo Parish Animal Control.

Cook estimated the dog weighed about 130 pounds. The dog had been tied up but broke loose to charge officers, Cook said.

Cook said officers Maced the animals first to break up the dogfight. Carter, who also was attempting to break up the fight, caught some of the Mace, although not directly, Cook said.

Cook said the first officer to fire shots was a veteran officer with at least eight years on the force. The second officer was a new officer on the force. Neither officer's name has been released, and the incident will be investigated, Cook said. Both officers also will have to undergo routine drug screening.

Hargrave said neither officer was injured and no arrests were made.

Carter, who had to be briefly restrained by officers during the incident, stood later in the street, his white T-shirt covered with his dog's blood, and fumed at what had happened.

"My dog wasn't going after any officers," Carter said. "He was just running around in his yard. All they had to do was let me go and grab my dog and put it in the house. He shot my dog, I guess, because it's a pit bull."

Cook, like most officers, was subdued after an incident in which a pet dog is shot.

"They're always going to be mad because we have to shoot the dog," he said.

The last reported incident in which Shreveport police had to shoot a dog was less than a month ago. On July 26, officers shot two pit bulls during a search in Queensborough for a man sought on an armed robbery warrant. That occurred in the 3100 block of Catherine Street when someone released one of the dogs after the suspect ran into a residence. That dog bit a female officer and was shot.

The second dog was shot a little later when officers tried to round up numerous other canines at the house and the second dog tried to attack an animal control officer. The man who allegedly released the first dog on the officer was arrested.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby prinpoms » August 17th, 2006, 1:02 am

:x errrrrrrr another pit gone just because of what it was makes me so angry! :beatComp:
PitBull Momma
prinpoms
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » August 17th, 2006, 7:55 am

Another dog gone because of a moronic "owner".
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » August 17th, 2006, 7:56 am

Miakoda wrote: the dog weighed about 130 pounds

:shock: Must be one of them new-fangled "pit bulls". :wink:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Jenn » August 17th, 2006, 8:48 am

:shock: That's a picture of a dog, I'd have to see to believe.
Jenn
undecided

Postby ilovemybacon » August 17th, 2006, 9:14 pm

This story is a perfect example of why stupid people should be banned instead of dogs. I wonder if they weighed the dog after they shot him?
ilovemybacon
Just Whelped

Postby jlewin » August 24th, 2006, 2:20 pm

i would be very surprised if the dog was not weighed post mortem. why an 11 month old pit bull weighs 130 lbs is beyond me. the only reasonable explantion would be that it were a bull mastiff or something else, but not a pit bull, which is a possibility. unfortunately this is probably the owners fault, not the dog or the officers, unless their is somthing seriously missing from the story.
jlewin
Just Whelped

Postby ilovemybacon » August 24th, 2006, 7:48 pm

Your right...it was probably Bull Mastiff. The jewerly store here has one and she always says people think he's a pitbull. He's huge...probably close to 130....So here we go again...another case of mistaken identity!
ilovemybacon
Just Whelped

Postby jlewin » August 24th, 2006, 9:48 pm

that is a HUGE problem b/c it leads to inflated numbers concerning pit bull attacks. so when they quote x% of attacks each year are pitbulls (which is small even when inflated) they are really upping the % with the other breeds included. cane corso bull mastiff etc. 130 lbs is andre the giant of pitbulls. unfortunately many people own bull mastiffs etc and honestly believe they are pitbulls, so that doesn't help.
jlewin
Just Whelped

Postby sadowner » August 29th, 2006, 4:04 pm

Talk about stupid people.

The guy down the street from me has an eglish bulldog.

He argues with me up and down its an "english pitbull" .. :shock:

Its sad. Stupid people is a real problem these days. They are breeding like rats and having more and more stupid kids. Soon they are going to outnumber us normal people 100/1 and then all hell is going to break loose! Back in caveman days a dymbass would get eatten by a dinosaur, not today. Today he gets elected as a mayor or president!!!!!!
sadowner
Just Whelped

Postby bahamutt99 » August 29th, 2006, 4:42 pm

Yeah, the cop estimated the weight? I'm sure he inflated it greatly to make it seem as if he was heroic in shooting the dog. Many people have no idea how to guesstimate dogs' weight.
~~~
[b]Lindsay
[i]& the [url=http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99/index.htm]Gravity Dogs[/url][/i][/b]
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Postby sadowner » August 29th, 2006, 6:13 pm

I dont think we know enough about the story to really comment on it. For example was this in an unfenced front yard?

How did the dog get in a fight with another dog?

Was it dog fighting instead of a dog fight?

If the owner was so worried about the dog where the hell was he the whole time the dog was fighting and then going after the cops?

And last

If i was a cop and a large dog attacked me I'd shoot it too.
sadowner
Just Whelped

Postby luvmyangels » August 29th, 2006, 8:59 pm

Another sad story. Dumb owner.
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Miakoda » September 3rd, 2006, 12:00 am

sadowner wrote:I dont think we know enough about the story to really comment on it. For example was this in an unfenced front yard?

How did the dog get in a fight with another dog?

Was it dog fighting instead of a dog fight?

If the owner was so worried about the dog where the hell was he the whole time the dog was fighting and then going after the cops?

And last

If i was a cop and a large dog attacked me I'd shoot it too.

The dog was let loose to "go potty". It got into a fight with another loose dog. A pic of the dog was on the news & it looked like a Bourdeaux mix. And it lunged at the police officer.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL