OOh Rory is being stubborn!

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 16th, 2006, 2:46 pm

So last night I decided to clean out my car, it was parked infront of my house so I thought it would be fine to let Rory roam in the yard because she could see me the whole time. It was also her dinner time so I put her food bowl outside too, to giver her something to focus on (cause god knows all her toys in the yard arnt enough) When I closed the gate behind me she whined like "dont leave me" but I fiugred once she saw I wasnt going far she would be fine. She jumped up on the fence and I told her firmly "you get down" "go eat", and the lil brat barked at me, bark, bark , bark. I decided to ignore her and keep with my cleaning, well the spoiled rotten brat would NOT shut up and let me tell you she is not a barker generally. So after 5 minutes of her being a pest I threw down the vaccumm hose, marched through that gate and put her in the house without her food. She was pissed, so my question is do you think she got the hint? She has done this a couple of times when I go to get the mail and stuff but she dosnt do it when I leave for the day and leave her inside.
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby rockermom » August 16th, 2006, 2:59 pm

Probably did not get the hint. Friggen Rocky who can totally ignore me will do same crap if I go on the other side of fence. He did same thing about a wk ago when I was washing the car. I finally resorted to squirting him. SHUT UP!!!!!
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Knomad » August 16th, 2006, 3:02 pm

Its very common in female Pits, and indeed other breeds also.

Males rarely do it (uhmm at least not frequently!), but females often stamp their feet and bark. My current female is the same, as was my last one.

I tell her to be quiet, she barks back telling me to shut up. I tell her down, she barks no.

Just dont give her what she wants because you dont want a bad mannered girl, but its ok to be highly amused by her. Generally in a female it will always be there in one form or another I think.

You did the right thing in taking away her priveledges, she knows that while she got your atention, she paid the price. Thats good enough as this behavior is generally just posturing and stubborness.

As long as you dont let her have her own way, you can just be amused by her as she sulks. And if she anything like Kaya...boy will she sulk!!!
Knomad
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » August 16th, 2006, 3:19 pm

what was the "message" that you were trying to convey to her?

Does she know the commands "be quiet" and "go eat"?

She barked for a while before you put her in the house, and that's where her toys and stuff are, so did she see it as "punishment"? Probably not.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 16th, 2006, 4:30 pm

She defintly knows "go eat" she has learned this since she was little becuase she is a finicky eater and it used to be a common occurance for me to have to get her to eat but thankfully THAT issue is over. And she defintly knows "get down".
She loves being outside in her yard and wherever I am so the message I was trying to convey to her was if she wants to bark and jump on the gate (and talk back) then she dosnt get the privelege of being outside but I know that messages can get mixed up in the language barrier, haha!
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby rockermom » August 16th, 2006, 4:41 pm

Do you use "off" I use Get OFF, Not get Down. Down means to lay down. Sometimes I say get down in error. Than I correct my self and say get off. Rocky whines and howels when I am out of sight or on other side of fence. He is a male. He does not bark often but when he does he does not seem to get QUIET. I started teaching him speak cause I heard it is easier to teach them quiet. I feel like Im teaching him to bark for a treat though.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 16th, 2006, 5:16 pm

I use "sit" for sit, "lay down" for laying but she defintly knows "down" for get down. I know it is confusing for them to use variations of the same word for different commands, Ilearned that when i tried sit down and lay down. From previous experiences I was under the impression she knew "get down" was to get off but I may be reaching there. Regardless the lil brat knew what I wanted from her and was being stubborn, barking at me, what nerve! lol! She rarely barks so it kinda threw me off guard but I did have a good laugh at her stuborness.....after I'd walked out of earshot of course, haha!
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby rockermom » August 16th, 2006, 5:22 pm

Must be the bratty age. Rocky is about a year ROry about the same right?
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 16th, 2006, 5:29 pm

Eh, she'll be two in January but she is still ALL pup, there is nothing adult about her!
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Malli » August 16th, 2006, 5:41 pm

I'd have used my hose :twisted:

but there are people here who don't agree with that. I honestly think it depends on your dog...
Either that or I'd ignore her compeletely.

I always tell people when they say that my dog is well trained that it is only because I am more stubborn then him :shock:

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » August 16th, 2006, 5:41 pm

lipshipsattitude wrote:She defintly knows "go eat" she has learned this since she was little becuase she is a finicky eater and it used to be a common occurance for me to have to get her to eat but thankfully THAT issue is over. And she defintly knows "get down".
She loves being outside in her yard and wherever I am so the message I was trying to convey to her was if she wants to bark and jump on the gate (and talk back) then she dosnt get the privelege of being outside but I know that messages can get mixed up in the language barrier, haha!

Ok, when you give her the command "go eat" and she doesn't, what do you do? This is similar to the person who posted that her dog knew to go to the bathroom on command at only a few months old. What do you do when the dog doesn't actually have to go to the bathroom? You shouldn't give commands that you can't enforce, and it's hard to enforce telling a dog to eat.

You told her to get down, but she kept barking, but you told her down and she did as she was told.

Do you use "off" I use Get OFF, Not get Down. Down means to lay down.

Down doesn't mean anything, it's just a word. For one of my dogs down is "platz" for the other it's "chouchez". It could be pineapple if you wanted it to be.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby rockermom » August 16th, 2006, 5:44 pm

For my dog Down means to lay down not to get down..I was wondering if she used down for lay down and get down.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » August 16th, 2006, 6:00 pm

I think its best to avoid using a word for multiple actions even if it's combined with another.

To Oscar, even "bow" and "down" sound so similar that I created a hand signal that I always use with bow, so I am sure he is not confused. How awful I know I would feel if I corrected him for something he was confused about.

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 16th, 2006, 6:55 pm

Well I only tell her to go eat when she is being stubborn and has gone a whole day almost without doing so. "Go eat" is accompanied by me looming over her as she does so. I noticed someone mentioned hand signals and I just recently have noticed that she pays WAY more attention to my hand signals that I have a habit of still using from early dog training. I read The Other End Of The Leash last week by Patricia McConnell and that is where I got the idea to pay more attention to my hand signals that I was subconciously using in conjunction with my verbal commands. So for the past week or so I have been testing using Rory's name to get her attention and using hand signals only and WOW was I surprised at how well she has responded but it could be that she has always responded that way I just never knew it, I'm still testing that theory though.
Ha ha and good insight Muchelle on the whole "down" thing but she didnt stop barking. It really makes me believe that humans need more training then our dogs
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Magnolia618 » August 16th, 2006, 6:59 pm

Just FYI:

If she is not eating, leave her food down for 20 minutes. IF she doesnt eat it, pick it up and save it for the next day. It wont kill her to go a day or even several days not eating. She will quickly get the hint. She eats because you want her to eat and you know what is best for her. :)
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 16th, 2006, 7:13 pm

She's always been a bratty eater. You know something funny is that when people ask me why I decided to get a dog/pit bull whatever I say "well I'm 24, I looked around and saw all of my friends getting married and having babies and I thought to myself, hey I think I'll just get a dog" Its proving to be the smarter choice but man she sure tests me sometimes like a toddler, ha ha!
I have never been so humbled, she has taught me patience to say the least
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 16th, 2006, 7:16 pm

Oh and squirting her with the hose is NOT above me but unfortunalty I was only vaccuming the inside and throwing away rubbish or it woulda been ON! :devilWink:
Plus she is deathly afraid of water, I have no idea why
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby msvette2u » August 17th, 2006, 6:39 pm

Magnolia618 wrote:Just FYI:

If she is not eating, leave her food down for 20 minutes. IF she doesnt eat it, pick it up and save it for the next day. It wont kill her to go a day or even several days not eating. She will quickly get the hint. She eats because you want her to eat and you know what is best for her. :)

That's what I was thinking too, don't free feed her, it probably encourages the "pickiness".
And I thought you'd mentioned at one point you were going to pick up most or all the toys and rotate them through one at a time?
msvette2u
I live here

Postby mnp13 » August 17th, 2006, 6:48 pm

lipshipsattitude wrote:Plus she is deathly afraid of water, I have no idea why

If this is true you should NEVER use water to disipline her. You will make her fear much worse.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Malli » August 17th, 2006, 9:44 pm

I agree with Michelle.
I guess the hose isn't an option for you ;)
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Training & Behavior