Obedience FAILURE! (She bit the Trainer!!)

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Tha Pete! » August 14th, 2006, 12:33 am

sadowner wrote:I read the trainer grabbed the dogs snout?

All i know is , When my dog went nuts, Their was no way in hell anyone was grabbing him anyplace. He looked meaner then any dog i've ever seen in life or a horror movie. :cry: He was in total "im going to rip you apart" mode. Growling, teeth out, snoorting,barking ,spit flying. He chased me and all. Now after that and reading this all. It sounds like your dog is really scared. :| Again, im just a normal pit owner (former) not an expert or anything, i just wanted to post that.

Former Pit owner? Sorry for your loss. :(
When a fearful dog resorts to biting and when they are in that mindset of panic and react and someone grabs them, you better believe that dog will flip out and panic and bite again and even escalate and even become worse. I think the trainer made a mistake grabbing the muzzle, but I also think the trainer would have seen if this dog was serious and would not have taken a risk like that. Reaching out to a dogs face to grab a muzzle when the dog is really defensive and willing to bite, is like handing the dog a free shot. Dogs are quick like lightening when biting or snapping and would have nailed her hand before she could touch the muzzle. That is why I really doubt this was an aggressive fear or otherwise reaction. I think it sounds more like a naughty dog who needs a lesson in manners.
But, I will say, this is the internet and I have never seen the dog, so I am only speculating and going by my past experiences. I am not willing to say this lady is totally wrong.
Tha Pete!
Just Whelped

Postby rockermom » August 14th, 2006, 8:36 am

Think you had to be there. Its going to be hard for Anissa regardless if it is bad manners or more, with all that is going on. Anissa, Maybe there is some kind of boot camp thing you can send Jaida to during your recovery. I dont know anything about them, but I have heard people swearing by the way there dogs returned and I have also heard of a dobe who returned so much better and a week later he growled and snapped at her and her son.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 14th, 2006, 8:40 am

Ugh - I would never trust anybody enough to leave my dog with them for training. Doesn't make sense anyway - the dog will need to be re-trained by the owner anyway. :|

I'm pleased that Anissa is getting assistance from Charles - he's a wonderful resource.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby rockermom » August 14th, 2006, 10:46 am

OH yeah I realize owner would have to retrain and all. But I think her situation is a tough one. Its going to be very hard on her and jaida as well with all the changes happening. Too bad medical insurance does not pay for dog care and training for recovering surgery.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » August 14th, 2006, 11:29 am

The ONLY thing that will work and NEEDS to be done is to take control of the situation ASAP!!! Of course, it would have been an excellent idea to take control over it TWO weeks ago but :| She would have been on the road to a well trained dog.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » August 14th, 2006, 12:41 pm

She's doing it now, that is the main thing. I have faith in Charles that he will be able to truly assess the situation and work with her and the dog.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby mnp13 » August 14th, 2006, 12:53 pm

rockermom wrote:OH yeah I realize owner would have to retrain and all. But I think her situation is a tough one. Its going to be very hard on her and jaida as well with all the changes happening. Too bad medical insurance does not pay for dog care and training for recovering surgery.

To be blunt, that was an issue that should have been addressed BEFORE taking on another dog. However, that is neither here nor there. The dog is in her possesion and the problems need to be dealt with.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby mnp13 » August 14th, 2006, 12:54 pm

rockermom wrote:Think you had to be there. Its going to be hard for Anissa regardless if it is bad manners or more, with all that is going on. Anissa, Maybe there is some kind of boot camp thing you can send Jaida to during your recovery. I dont know anything about them, but I have heard people swearing by the way there dogs returned and I have also heard of a dobe who returned so much better and a week later he growled and snapped at her and her son.

Onsite training is fine, but it requires just as much time and effort on the part of the owner once the dog is returned. If the dog doesn't respect her (and it seems that she doesn't) then it will not magically respect her when it gets back from being trained by a third party.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » August 16th, 2006, 11:20 am

Real life is different then the internet sometimes.

I spent 3 hours with Annissa and Jake last night. They're great people. Charlie and Jaida are great well behaved dogs and very obediant. Annissa controls them well and they are eager to please her.

I believe that Annissa over reacted to the incident with the trainer. The trainer shouldn't be training IMO and others as well. The incidences were not bites but nips and were without malice on Jaida's part. Simple manners is all that's needed there. Annissa reacted appropriately and I would guess it won't happen again. She really is a great dog with a good temperment.

Annissa wants to be the best ambassador she can for the breed. I think that her reaction to these past events was because of being overloaded about being responsible and representing the breed in the best light possible. I was the same way and I could be pretty tough on myself and over analyze my dogs and their actions.

It's going to take several months for Jaida to settle in after having so many homes but I think with everything Annissa is doing it's going to work out fine.

I am 10 minutes from her and I can help her anytime she needs it during her recovery. Her family and the soldiers wives group are there as well.

Annissa and I will be visiting the trainer together and she will be active in the Bulldoggers as well. I look forward to working with her and Jaida. :D

Thanks for having me over Annissa and welcome to the club!
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Jenn » August 16th, 2006, 11:22 am

That sounds great! :) Best of luck Anissa!
Jenn
undecided

Postby cheekymunkee » August 16th, 2006, 11:30 am

I am sooooo glad to hear this!!!! Thanks for helping them out Charles, I am sure Jaida will be a GREAT dog & Anissa a wonderful owner with a little help from you & a good trainer.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby rockermom » August 16th, 2006, 11:36 am

Anissa is fortunate that someone like yourself lives so close. Im glad to hear she over reacted and I could understand since some of this internet stuff scares you into thinking it is abnormal for these dogs to ever nip a human. This is great news and I am so happy to hear that Anissa is getting a bunch of help.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Tha Pete! » August 16th, 2006, 11:55 am

That's really great news. I am glad to hear this girl will finally have a permanent home, I am sure it will make all the difference. So glad to also hear she has someone like you that close by, during her recovery and to also help with Jaida whenever she will need it during her adjustment to a new home. Good news, keep us updated on the progress.
Tha Pete!
Just Whelped

Postby msvette2u » August 16th, 2006, 12:35 pm

Great news, Charles, good luck with your little brat-girl, Anissa, I know you'll come through for her :)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 16th, 2006, 1:20 pm

Thanks again for helping out Charles!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby SpiritFngrz » August 16th, 2006, 2:32 pm

Yay!!! I'm sure Jaida will be a great dog. With all the work you put into her, you'll appreciate each other that much more :)
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby anissa » August 17th, 2006, 12:41 am

Charles.. it was great being able to finally meet you. Like you said, real life is definately different than the internet.. and your help and advice was very much appreciated.

Let me tell ya.. this guy can TALK! lol

Look forward to working with you and the club!

Thanks again Charles!
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby a-bull » August 18th, 2006, 9:51 am

Wow, this is great news!!

This is why I don't think people should ever suggest someone put a dog to sleep based upon and internet post.

There's a big difference between a dog that bites and a dog that nips out of fear, as a warning/reprimand, or in this case, as Charles said, bad manners.

Great work Charles, and kudos to Anissa for not jumping to any conclusions and doing what's right all around!!!

:clap: :clap:
a-bull
I live here

Postby julie k » August 20th, 2006, 12:42 am

Two thumbs up for Anissa and Romanwyld!!!

Julie K
julie k
Just Whelped

Postby nikki h » August 20th, 2006, 1:16 am

good news! so glad to hear it worked out and its nothing serious or that cant be worked on! im glad you also have one-on-one help within reach.

I can completely relate to what charles said about over-reacting simply because of wanting to represent/reprimand your breed properly. there have been a few situations i have avoided with my akita and my pit bulls in the past before realizing their true demeanors simply because i worry TOO MUCH about the negatives. sometimes you have to give your dogs a little credit. :wink: sounds like your girl's a great girl. and with time, i too have realized what my guys' limitations are and what situations are best for them too and that typically, they too, are great dogs. lol.

Good luck!
nikki h
Just Whelped

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior