Dead Pets Found In West VA

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby Purple » February 3rd, 2006, 8:56 am

Hundreds of dead pets found in woods
West Virginia investigates 4,000 pounds of discarded carcasses
From Michael McManus
CNN
Thursday, February 2, 2006; Posted: 7:00 p.m. EST (00:00 GMT)
West Virginia
Forest Service
Animals

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Hundreds of dead cats, dogs and other animals were found in two wooded areas of West Virginia, the state Division of Natural Resources said Thursday.

More than 250 dead animals have been identified, inventoried and photographed, the state said. They included animals with rabies vaccination and name tags, indicating they were pets.

Most of the animals were dogs and cats, but there were also mice, rats, rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, foxes, hawks and deer.

Some of the animals had been decapitated, said Maj. Jerry Jenkins of Division of Natural Resources law enforcement.

The dead animals were removed Monday from the wooded area in Hampshire County, near Capon Bridge, West Virginia. A second and similar discovery continues to be investigated in Hardy County.

Investigators believe the animals came from counties around the greater Washington, D.C., metropolitan area.

Fairfax County Police Lt. Rich Perez said some of the animals came from that county and indicated that some of the animals found had previously been turned over to Family Pet Cremations.

The Chantilly, Virginia-based company has contracts with the department to dispose of dead, sick or stray animals, Perez said.

"We are disturbed and concerned that animal remains we were turning over to Family Pet Cremations have turned up at this illegal dump site," he said.

The department would look at whether the contract with the company will continue, he said. Calls to the crematorium were not returned.

Jenkins said his agency removed more than 4,000 pounds of animal carcasses, some of them with intravenous tubes in their legs.

The U.S. Forest Service is also taking part in the investigation. Woody Lipps, a spokesman for the agency, said one of the dumping sites was in George Washington National Forest and the perpetrators could face stiff fines.

"Dumping debris on federal property is a federal misdemeanor, but the attorney's office could decide this was hazardous material and if that's the case, the fines and jail time increase dramatically," Lipps said.

The U.S. Forest Service expects to turn over its investigation to the U.S. attorney's office in West Virginia next week.
Purple
I live here

Postby Emi » February 3rd, 2006, 9:28 am

that is sad and sick , whom ever did that is sick :(
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby SisMorphine » February 3rd, 2006, 9:38 am

Wow. Well if it was a pet cremetorium that would explain why some were beheaded (rabies testing). That's disgusting. People expect their pet's remains to be taken care of in a respectful way. I wonder if these people would just chuck their own mothers into the pile when they passed. Gross.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » February 3rd, 2006, 9:49 am

That story is aweful... and they are 'not sure' if the contracts with that company will continue? excuse me?

but this was funny (sorry)
The U.S. Forest Service is also taking part in the investigation. Woody Lipps, a spokesman for the agency
(sorry)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » February 3rd, 2006, 12:11 pm

Sick. The same thing happened with a human crematorium not long ago as well.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Kangas Mommy » February 3rd, 2006, 10:12 pm

lol Michelle i was laughing at that name too i just couldnt help it. But this story is sick. Could you imagine if you sent your pet to be cremated then they found it in the woods? :shock: UGGG! People SUCK!

:(
Kangas Mommy
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Off-Topic