agility AND obedience trainers???

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby nikki h » August 14th, 2006, 6:42 pm

our boxer/CC mix is going to be an EXCELLENT agility candidate i can tell. BUT, im having a very hard time finding a training facility that trains for agility. there is one in the area at all that i've found...but when we went to sign all 4 up for their CGC testing, they dont train pit bulls at all. Obviously i dont want to support them by taking one of my non pitties there either.

i live in northeastern PA, so something relatively close so that i can 100% make classes and feel secure in calling the trainer for extra practice if needed. We've also got to get him worked with on obedience first, so preferably a trainer who can do both.

He knows sit, down, paw, and stay (somewhat). we're working on here and heel, but i'd like to get him into a trainer environment with other dogs if possible.
nikki h
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » August 14th, 2006, 6:45 pm

Please give a more detailed location than "northeast PA" and I'll see what I can dig up - that's a pretty big area!!!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby nikki h » August 14th, 2006, 6:56 pm

anything in between or near wilkes-barre or scranton would be helpful. also, the place that doesnt train pit bulls is K-9 Corner in case that comes up. :x
nikki h
Just Whelped

Postby ellie@ny » August 15th, 2006, 8:09 am

This was an earlier post :wink:
http://pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=2600
Hope it helps!
There is a lot in PA!I just checked!Good luck!
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby nikki h » August 15th, 2006, 11:25 am

thanks very much. but i've already been there. :( theyre all roughly 2 hours from here (Or more). this one training facility is state of the art and a great club. BUT as i said...they dont train pit bulls. its right in my backyard. i've even asked veterinarians, the SPCA staff, they all say the only place they know of is this place. sigh. i have one other hope/option out of the yellow pages. she doesnt list agility, but im going to ask when i call. she seems extremely knowledgable.
nikki h
Just Whelped

Postby nikki h » August 15th, 2006, 11:31 am

actually, this "loyalville" club is listed a few places, however on one site there was a link to their wbsite, and the website said they were in FLORIDA!! :|
nikki h
Just Whelped

Postby ellie@ny » August 15th, 2006, 7:52 pm

Upps sorry!Check this one out!Maybe you can find something here?Good luck!
http://www.akc.org/events/obedience/training_clubs/index.cfm?action=search_state&state=PA

ETA: And you can always tell them that your dog is an AST ? :| Approved by AKC?
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Purple » August 15th, 2006, 8:00 pm

Check the Scranton paper, usually on Sunday. Agility classes start up again in the fall, the classes are in Elmhurst. Look under the pets and supplies section of the classified.
Contact the Lackawanna Humane Society. Barb Lampman is who usually arranges the classs schedules.
Renie is the agility instructor, I can e-mail her to find out when agility starts again. It's really a very basic class.
Purple
I live here

Postby nikki h » August 15th, 2006, 8:35 pm

thank you! so much! you're pretty close to us i'd assume? we actually live near pittston, dont know if you're familiar with it.

i'll have to check it out. we dont get the paper. :oops: lol, but i will buy the sunday at the corner store. i also have to get to the humane society to give them my contact info for the cane corso rescue anyways, so that'll be 2 birds with one stone i guess. Thanks so much again for your help!
nikki h
Just Whelped

Postby Purple » August 15th, 2006, 8:39 pm

Barb is the obedience instructor!

Pittston...home of the tomato festival, that's this weekend, isn't it?!......mmmmm, old ladies cooking great food, I love it!!
Purple
I live here

Postby nikki h » August 15th, 2006, 9:15 pm

hahaha. lol yea it is. i havent been to it in a few years though. the cherry blossom fest was always more my thing. i'll definitely have to get in touch with them up there. do you do work with them?
nikki h
Just Whelped

Postby Purple » August 16th, 2006, 6:33 am

No, I don't work with them, I just take their classes.
Purple
I live here

Return to Training & Behavior