hello im new and need help bad

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Vanessa » August 9th, 2006, 9:20 pm

I just want to say that i'm very sorry for your loss and i hope you can find peace about what happened. It wasn't your fault and you must have loved him very much. :( He is at peace now.
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby concreterose » August 10th, 2006, 12:37 am

I'm so sorry for your loss. You made a hard, but brave decision.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby bahamutt99 » August 10th, 2006, 3:46 am

Been there, done that, and it wasn't easy. You dealt with the situation before a tragedy happened; you have full marks in my book for that. When put in the same situation, I waited and fooled myself into thinking everything was under control. An 8-year-old girl was attacked by my dogs before I was convinced that something was wrong, and by then it was too late. They were taken, PTS in the city animal shelter, we got sued, lost our homeowner's insurance, our city passed BSL less than a year later. Not an experience I'd wish on anyone.

You did the right thing. Small consolation in a time of grieving, I know. Hopefully when you're ready for another dog, it will be everything the breed is supposed to be.
~~~
[b]Lindsay
[i]& the [url=http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99/index.htm]Gravity Dogs[/url][/i][/b]
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Postby Malli » August 10th, 2006, 4:07 am

I agree, I think you did the right thing.

I think that we would all enjoy some pictures of your boy.

Don't beat yourself up. There are mentally imbalanced dogs as there are people; unfortunately dogs that are truly mentally unwell can rarely be fixed.

I do think you should stay with the forum.

Perhaps, in time, and with more learning, you will get another dog.

And we will be here to help.
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » August 10th, 2006, 7:56 am

I'm sorry for what you've had to go through. :( Thank you for doing the right thing.

I would like to share some pics of him with you all. I have pics when he was a puppy and a pic i took last week of him. I cant post pics on here though can I?

You can post pictures in the "Our Departed Friends" section, if you'd like. There is a sticky with instructions in the Gallery section.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby rockermom » August 10th, 2006, 8:27 am

This is a most horrible story. By God is it strange that a great happy puppy raised from day one by same owner, never showed any signs all of a sudden went nuts. Its scarry to me and will keep me up at night since Rocky is the same age. I feel horrible for you and I wish you peace. When you heal and if you are getting another dog may I suggest an adult dog or even better as a parent myself of 2 older children now 11 and 16, wait untill your baby is much older. Enjoy your baby, my god they grow up fast. Seriously it seems like yesterday. I am so sorry for what happened. Hugs to you and your family!
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby sadowner » August 10th, 2006, 11:30 am

Thankyou all . Last nite was hard , i didnt sleep much. My wife was more pissed then sad. I really miss him. We normally go for a walk late at nite. I went by myself last nite. I know it was the right thing to do. After what happend i dont think anyone could make me trust that dog around anyone. All i kept thinking was hes going to hurt one of us or someone else one day. The people who took him for me said he attacked a worker at the place they took him to. :( He didnt get ahold of the guy so the guy is thankfully ok.

I have to set up a picture host thingy and ill post pics of him . I have some when he and his brother were puppies. And some of him last week.

I think we are going to wait for awhile to get another dog. Cant think of that right now.
sadowner
Just Whelped

Postby muse » August 10th, 2006, 12:03 pm

Im sorry youve had to deal with this, its a decision all of us pit bull owners have to consider when we decide to own the breed. I personally think you made the best, though hardest, desicion you could have made.

Your in my thoughts, Im sorry. :(
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby sadowner » August 11th, 2006, 11:40 pm

Sorry i didnt post the pics yet. I have not been able to look at them. Everyone who comes over my house looks like they have came from a funeral. My nephews (3 and 4 ) were crying. My 1 year old son wobbles over to were the dog used to nap. I'll get them up soon.
sadowner
Just Whelped

Postby sadowner » August 11th, 2006, 11:49 pm

<~ :cry: This is him... took me forever to get it to work.
sadowner
Just Whelped

Postby SpiritFngrz » August 14th, 2006, 8:14 am

Again, so sorry for your loss. :( Did they necropsy the dog? I mean to see if he had any medical problems that would've caused this type of behavior in him.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby 04100824 » August 14th, 2006, 11:22 am

I'm soryr to hear about this, but really...I very much think you did the right thing, no matter how much it hurts. :cry:
Confident Young Bully

Postby luvmyangels » August 14th, 2006, 12:42 pm

I am so sorry.
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby sadowner » August 14th, 2006, 3:26 pm

Thankyou all again. I have been pretty busy lately. I have been talking to the breeder he came from. None of the other pups from his litter are showing any signs of problems like he is. One a friend of mine has and its fine, a great dog. So i do not know what his problem was. I dont think i ever will.

I have also been talking to a guy who lives close to me. He rescues pits who have been abused and strays. He runs a very small operation out of his house, Alot of the dogs are pretty badly hurt. He takes them to a vet and pays for everything himself. After the dogs get well he has some kid of temperment test done. I forgot what he said it was. Then works with some other rescue to find them homes.

What i noticed is how many dogs he has and how many of them are nice dogs even after all they have been through. This one dog needed staples all over his face when he found it. Even now the dog has a wound that is healing. But he is so nice. He doesnt even show agression towards other dogs. When i am their and watch some of the dogs with eachother (he keeps them be themselves all the time, only the ones that have been tested are let in the play yard with eachother and 3 people watching them closely) and i see these are dogs that have been abused. And i see how they are happy and not mean at all. I kinda relize how bad my dogs issues were.
sadowner
Just Whelped

Postby sadowner » August 14th, 2006, 3:34 pm

ALSO i forgot to tell everyone. The reason he came to live with us so young was his mom died after giving birth. He was raised by the breeder then when we got him by us. I just wanted to clear that up.
sadowner
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » August 14th, 2006, 3:57 pm

Where are you located Sadowner?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby SpiritFngrz » August 14th, 2006, 3:58 pm

Which rescue?
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby sadowner » August 14th, 2006, 4:08 pm

I am located in Philadelphia . Sorry i just noticed i didnt fill that in.

He works with some place that works with mainly rots and pits. Rotnpitty or something like that.

BTW we have an spca here in Philly but its not in the greatest of areas . This area is known for drugs and dog fights so any pit that goes to them is pts . So i have been told anyway.
sadowner
Just Whelped

Postby nikki h » August 14th, 2006, 4:28 pm

ROTNPITTY IS A GREAT ORGANIZATION HERE!!! :D i hope it all works out for you.
nikki h
Just Whelped

Postby Kingsgurl » August 14th, 2006, 7:40 pm

What i noticed is how many dogs he has and how many of them are nice dogs even after all they have been through. This one dog needed staples all over his face when he found it. Even now the dog has a wound that is healing. But he is so nice.

One of the most impressive things about true Pit Bull temperment (or correct, if you prefer) is their amazing ability to bounce back from some pretty horrific abuse with that love of life and people still intact.
I'm sorry you went through what you did with your boy. He was beautiful and that's a heartwrenching situation.
Kingsgurl
Just Whelped

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior