See's his shadow or not ?

Everything that doesn't fit anywhere else!

Postby Emi » February 2nd, 2006, 9:48 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060202/ap_ ... undhog_day

Punxsutawney Groundhog Sees His Shadow By DAN NEPHIN, Associated Press Writer
1 minute ago

PUNXSUTAWNEY, Pa. - Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow, but it was hard to find a complainer in the crowd on Gobbler's Knob, where the morning temperature was well above freezing and Thursday's high was expected to hit 48 degrees.

ADVERTISEMENT

There were a few boos at the groundhog's prediction of six more weeks of winter, but most of the hundreds of revelers instead turned the event into an impromptu Pittsburgh Steelers rally.

Fans in football jerseys sang "Here we go Steelers," and members of the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club's Inner Circle — the top-hat- and tuxedo-wearing businessmen responsible for carrying on the groundhog tradition each year — threw black and gold Steelers "Terrible Towels" as they waited to rouse Phil from his burrow.

The furry forecaster may be popular, but the Pittsburgh Steelers are playing in the Super Bowl on Sunday.

"It's been really wonderful. This is just a ball. I'm having so much fun," said Nancy Durr, who came from Paxton, Neb., to the small western Pennsylvania town about 65 miles north of Pittsburgh to celebrate her 50th birthday.

She had been outside awaiting Phil's arrival since about 2:15 a.m., a rub-on Punxsutawney Phil tattoo on each cheek.

Others latched on to the Phil frenzy for a publicity boost — for just about anything, from global warming to the lottery.

The National Environmental Trust said it's groundhog-suit-wearing human "will ignore his shadow and will instead rely on global warming evidence to forecast an early spring."

The American Physiological Society was offering experts to discuss "What Punxsutawney Phil can teach us about surviving massive blood loss, preventing muscle atrophy, and more."

The Pennsylvania Lottery even has Gus, "the second most famous groundhog in Pennsylvania," who implores lottery players to "keep on scratchin'."

None of those things are really what Groundhog Day is about, said Mike Johnston, a member of the Groundhog Club's Inner Circle. Punxsutawney Phil is nonpolitical and can't speak anyway, Johnston said.

Each Feb. 2, thousands of people descend on Punxsutawney for a little midwinter revelry, celebrating what had essentially been a German superstition.

The Germans believed that if a hibernating animal casts a shadow Feb. 2 — the Christian holiday of Candlemas — winter will last another six weeks. If no shadow is seen, legend says spring will come early.

According to the Groundhog Club, Phil has now seen his shadow 96 times, hasn't seen it 14 times and there are no records for nine years.

The last time Phil failed to see his shadow was in 1999
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby Purple » February 2nd, 2006, 7:47 pm

Happy Groundhog Day!!! :piggy:
Purple
I live here

Postby pLaurent » February 2nd, 2006, 9:29 pm

I doubt any groundhogs could dig their way out to see their shadows around my place. :cry:

pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby CinderDee » February 4th, 2006, 12:48 am

I'm so jealous, PL. We haven't had one decent snowstorm this year. :(
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby pibblegrl » February 4th, 2006, 1:27 pm

Ya know, I hate to sound like I am complaining about the warm weather we have been having...cause I'm not...

I just wonder what summer is going to be like now. :shock:
Candi

God created idiots as an endless source of amusement for the rest of us!
pibblegrl
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby pLaurent » February 4th, 2006, 2:39 pm

I'm so jealous, PL. We haven't had one decent snowstorm this year.

I wish I could have sent that last one to you...... :rolleyes2:

I'm worried about summer too. Last year was the hottest and most humid on record here, and this winter has been warm (for us!)
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby CinderDee » February 4th, 2006, 2:44 pm

I'm already dreading it. I can't stand the heat and humidity. :(
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby girlie » February 4th, 2006, 3:27 pm

I live for heat and humidity............it's the best!!

Put me near snow and it's like you put me on another planet. Just can't deal with it. It is beautiful though.
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » February 4th, 2006, 3:35 pm

pitcess wrote:I live for heat and humidity............it's the best!!

Put me near snow and it's like you put me on another planet. Just can't deal with it. It is beautiful though.

:goodStuff:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Off-Topic