Do your dogs LOVE ice cream & milk?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Hoyden » August 12th, 2006, 11:24 pm

I dunno what it is with Birdie, but I have never seen or heard of another dog who LOVES ice cream and milk so much.

Today, she was determined to have milk. I had to drag her away from a glass of milk that I though was an accidental spill. Later she knocked over another glass intentionally and was lapping it up as fast as she could. Then she shoved her head in my glass to help herself.

I've taken her grocery shopping and had her in a down stay right next to meat case or talked to the butcher to ask for certain cuts of meat. No problems, she could have cared less.

The ice cream palor is another story. She literally DROOLS as we wait for our scoops and leaves puddles of spit on the floor at my right foot. I have to tell the employees that she can't have any while we're eating in the store, but they usually give us a small cup when we leave to take with us for her.

We won't discuss what's she'll do for McDonalds soft serve cones.

Anyone else's dog have such a weird craving for milk and ice cream??

Could it be a dietary defincency of some sort?
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby chewbecca » August 12th, 2006, 11:31 pm

I don't know about ice cream, but Ella will do just about anything for cottage cheese.
She becomes very clumsy when she gets excited too, it's SO cute.
She'll go from sitting down to trying to stand up and fall flat on her face in excitement.
And she's not usually an overly excitable dog either. She just LOVES cottage cheese.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby ellie@ny » August 12th, 2006, 11:41 pm

Mines loves all kind of dairies!No matter what it is! :)
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby concreterose » August 13th, 2006, 12:22 am

Vicki LOVES ice cream. I always share mine with her.
concreterose
Loyally Bully

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » August 13th, 2006, 12:32 am

When I lived with my parents, my dad and I ate cereal together every morning and then his dog would drink his leftover milk and Jasmine would drink mine. She'd lay near me and drool the entire time I was eating.

She's more crazy about trying to get beer than milk, though. My bf's friend brews beer and Jasmine will sit near the stove and drool puddles the whole time it's boiling. She's intentionally spilled my father's beer to try to drink it up before we can clean it. Naughty dogs.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Emi » August 13th, 2006, 4:41 am

Miss Dottie loves ice cream , she'll lay some where watching me eat mine , then when she knows i'm done , she comes over and sits down and looks up at me "Like ok i'm ready for mine now" ... she loves cheese to .. 8)
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby Purple » August 13th, 2006, 7:41 am

Hopscotch loves milk and ice cream.
Sammy will steal your whole cup of coffee of you leave the cup unattended....he counter surfs.
Purple
I live here

Postby chewbecca » August 13th, 2006, 8:39 am

Purple wrote:Hopscotch loves milk and ice cream.
Sammy will steal your whole cup of coffee of you leave the cup unattended....he counter surfs.

Aww. That is so cute! Ella gets nosy and she'll sniff things but she's usually ok but not getting into things.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » August 13th, 2006, 10:15 pm

This weekend we were at my brother-in-law's and there were sprinkles in the back of his Tahoe. We were like, why are there sprinkles in the back of the car? He said Isabelle (the boxer) was eating her ice cream back there. With rainbow sprinkles, apparently. :|
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Purple » August 13th, 2006, 10:25 pm

The ice cream stand out by us sells a poochie parfait.....a small dish of vanilla with a couple of small milk bones!
Purple
I live here

Postby rockermom » August 14th, 2006, 8:43 am

Well this just confirmed what I thought was going on. We had taken Rocky by car to ice cream stand. He just got a few licks. It is located across and down the street of our walking path. One day on an eve walk my walking partner wanted to stop for Ice cream. ROcky got a few licks. Well the next couple of times I went walking and went to round the corner down the street from the stand Rocky stoped dead and started pulling backwards and looking towards the stand. I swear his face said oh please lets go for ice cream. He has done this every walk since.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby SisMorphine » August 14th, 2006, 8:53 am

Wally loves his ice cream! We have to spell it in front of him, now, because he definitely knows what it means.
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 14th, 2006, 12:09 pm

rockermom wrote:Well this just confirmed what I thought was going on. We had taken Rocky by car to ice cream stand. He just got a few licks. It is located across and down the street of our walking path. One day on an eve walk my walking partner wanted to stop for Ice cream. ROcky got a few licks. Well the next couple of times I went walking and went to round the corner down the street from the stand Rocky stoped dead and started pulling backwards and looking towards the stand. I swear his face said oh please lets go for ice cream. He has done this every walk since.

If only it was that quick and easy to train everything!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby lellis34 » August 17th, 2006, 1:30 pm

For all the doggies that love ice cream (and people too) look to see if you have a Brusters Ice Cream shop in your area. My daughter just got a job there not too long ago. If you buy ice cream for yourself, they'll give you a free doggie Sunday (have to have the dog with you). Basically, it's a scoop of vanilla with a big Milk Bone in it. King LOVES when we go to pick my daughter up from work cuz he knows he's getting a treat. :D
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
Tuck: “you can say that again”
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-ZxcPE33w
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 17th, 2006, 1:51 pm

Oh there's a Brusters by my dad's house...they have the BEST ice cream!!! :drool:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Magnolia618 » August 17th, 2006, 5:47 pm

I have seen dog ice cream in a couple different stores :|
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby karma » September 18th, 2006, 12:05 am

are there any real concerns with giving ice cream or any dairy to your dog?
Taj Taylor
Http://www.karmatiknd.com
"Go for the T.E.N." -Taj of Karmatik Training Services
"HEALTHY DOG HAPPY LIFE" - Taj of www.karmatiknd.com

Return to Nutrition & Health