racist dogs

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 10th, 2006, 2:37 pm

:o
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Malli » August 10th, 2006, 5:47 pm

bahaha

I think we are commonly seeing this issue in rescue dogs, so we can assume poor socialization, since there is a lot of that out there...

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » August 14th, 2006, 4:02 pm

Caesar does not like guys with fros. Maybe he just hates bad hair? :|
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby 04100824 » August 15th, 2006, 4:10 pm

Reno looooves mexicans :?
Confident Young Bully

Postby prinpoms » August 18th, 2006, 12:15 am

Baby Girl doesn't seem to like anyone who is asian or hispanic. We had a hispanic man at the outer door yesterday and she got that low bark she does when she doen't like something. Have no idea why, but she is a rescue. What's really crazy is she was abused by teenagers of all shapes and sizes yet LOVES kids and all the teens around. Maybe because my teens saved her? She seems to think if she hears a teenager or a child it must be one of hers! She gets all excited! But hispanic or asian people forget it!
PitBull Momma
prinpoms
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » August 18th, 2006, 1:00 pm

04100824 wrote:Reno looooves mexicans :?

So does my sister.
lol
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Magnolia618 » August 19th, 2006, 3:18 pm

I have a crush on the mexican guy that pumps my gas. Shhh... dont tell my boyfriend! :wink:
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Echosmom » August 23rd, 2006, 3:44 pm

I have that problem with my female. She is 2 and even when we are driving the instant she sees a darker female she is growling and lunging at the window. Not sure why? She has taken it to a whole different level not only race but gender as well. Strange??
~~*Dogs cannot sin! that is a "privlege" exclusive only to humans. ~~*Your dog is the ONLY thing on earth that Loves YOU more than they love themselves! ~~*
Echosmom
Just Whelped

Postby Samthepit » August 29th, 2006, 8:50 pm

Well we had a German Shorthair (oh how I love my hounds) who hated, I repeat HATED anyone in a uniform and would go after the mailman (or woman). We found her wandering near my grandparents farm and decided to keep her. A week or so later my mom was looking in the lost and found section to see if anyone was missing their GSP and noticed a RESEARCH LAB listed a missing GSP. That would explain why she couldn't stand uniforms. Sam (my current pit) seems to act strangely around young boys around the age of 4 or so. Luckily we are an estrogen dominant family, but that is the ONE thing that gives me pause w/ her and makes me a little worried. I'm hoping w/ time and a secure home and a little exposure she'll get over it.
Sarah Broadwater
"who's behavior do you answer for?"
Samthepit
Just Whelped

Postby Miakoda » August 29th, 2006, 10:55 pm

It seems that this is quite the hot topic as I recently provided my opinion in a similar thread on another (& very helpless) board.

IMO, since racism is a man made emotion, I would have to say "no" to the idea that a dog can be racist. Now, I have noticed that some dogs belonging to one race are somewhat fearful, nervous, or anxious around people of another race but I believe this comes from other reasons such as 1. the dog's owner is sending the dog a "signal" through her own fear, nervousness, anxiousness about the approaching person (even if the owner doesn't realize it) 2. since it's not yet proven dogs see in color, but we do know a dog sees many shades of gray to black, it can theoretically be a sight issue & 3. a smell issue
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » August 29th, 2006, 11:36 pm

Interesting Mia.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Malli » August 30th, 2006, 1:15 pm

exactly, I didn't mean literally racist. But in a dog's mind, something that smells like nothing they've smelt before can be as alarming as someone wearing a hat, or someone with a different tone of skin could be as scary as someone using a cane, etc. I think its more a socialization and association issue, then anything (i.e. as far as association, a rescue dog who may have been abused by a particular race of person, although that is very similar to racism as the dog is, in affect, judging the entire race of people because of what one or two individuals may have done.)

Personally, I KNOW my parents would not have been accidentally sending her signals, as they didn't even put it together until after this latest incident (although, they may be sending her signals NOW that they suspect :lol3:), so I can only assume that either she had some trauma associated with someone of darker skin, or she had been so poorly socialized by her previous people (my parents got her when she was 1.5 yrs or so, and the previous owners had her in pretty bad shape, so anything is possible) that she has fear issues; either way, it seems to be a fearful thing, with her anyway.

incidentally, I'm now calling her 'Kujo' :lol3:, I love to bug them, although my parents are truly mortified that it has happened and are VERY careful now...
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby HappyPuppy » September 20th, 2006, 4:26 pm

My ex boyfriend had a dog years ago that hated black people - it was sooo embarrasing to have her go aggro. My Ruby who LOVES people has occasionally acted only very slightly apprehensive at hispanic people. I even asked a boy walking to school whom we encountered on our morning walk if he would "meet her" to see if she got over it. Not sure yet or if it is even a real issue. Twice she has barked (and she doesn't bark at people) at 2 different hispanic ladies with an umbrella - lady or umbrella?
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » September 20th, 2006, 8:49 pm

probably the umbrella, thats my bet.

Its a pretty minute thing for a dog to pick someone out because of the color of their skin, I'd pick the more obvious difference, the umbrella ;)
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Hoyden » September 20th, 2006, 11:33 pm

Petey loves everybody, he doesn't care what color you are, what you're wearing or how loud your mufflers are.

But if you start acting aggressive towards his Momma or some one he deems to be the victim, he WILL insert himself into the arguement. He barks and boxes, trying to push the person he perceives as the aggressor away.

After figuring out that he doesn't need to know who the people are involved , I don't walk him at the Park with they have soccer practice or soccer games because he wants to referee the adults.

Birdie is skittish around things in people's hands or on their person. She could care less about any of the many people we meet on our daily jaunts, she LOVES the 6'7" black orderly that holds her when I am in Radiology. He carries her like a baby so she can see what is going on.

Last night she barked at Jeremy, our friend who she loves to snuggle and play with because he had a cuiris made of black plastic barrel on. (They're making SCA armor). She barked a light colored kid who was advancing rather quickly towards me with 3 ft. long metal ruler. It's stuff like that I have to address and work through.
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Violet » September 21st, 2006, 12:51 am

My rott mix HATED anyone with dark skin..but it was fairly easy to explain because I KNEW his history..he had lived between two families, one black, one asian..the kids from both families tormented him mercilessly while he was chained in the back yard. The previous owners actually gave him up to A. spare him more toment and B. because they were terrified of him getting loose and killing one of those kids..i have little doubt that he would have in a heartbeat. He never got over it..not even a little bit. he was actually aggressive towards anyone not in our immediate family..but he was a gem with us and our kids.
Violet
Loyally Bully

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior