a lil snarl action

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby rockermom » August 10th, 2006, 10:51 am

pitbullmamaliz wrote:At the last training class I was at, the instructor taught us to teach the dogs that having their collars grabbed was a FABULOUS thing. We did this by slowly taking hold of their collars, saying "gotcha!" in a cheerful voice, and giving them a treat. Keep doing that over and over. As your dog gets accustomed to it, slowly start increasing the speed at which you grab his collar. Eventually you should be able to snatch it full-speed with the dog thinking it's the greatest thing ever 'cause they get a treat!

Yes we did this in one of our classes too. I have not been to a training class in months. Thus I have slacked off. I have to start doing this again. Rocky never did and still does not like being grabbed by the collar. He did however learn to tollerate it but I think this is all a reminder that I need to continue the method. Thanks for the reminder. And also if Rocky is mixed with what I think may be possible than it is a trait to have to be constantly reminded that his bed and his favorite spot belongs to me and not him. Hoagiesmama is Nandie a mix? Just curious. How is this going with the under the bed thing? If on NILIF try blocking off the bed with the boards like I suggested. Rocky just cant get under there anymore.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » August 10th, 2006, 11:05 am

Alyssa -

I agree with you fully, and I'd deal with it the same way with my dogs. However, from the tone of the original post it seemed that she was worried about actually getting bit. (maybe I was reading that wrong though?)

bunnies, however, are another matter. My sister's Lop was vicious, when he got under furniture he'd go at your with his front teeth. We had to use the broom handle to get him out. Stew was a nasty little bugger.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » August 10th, 2006, 11:10 am

We should ban bunnies too then.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Marinepits » August 10th, 2006, 11:23 am

Nah, let's make rabbit stew.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby cheekymunkee » August 10th, 2006, 11:24 am

We could make stew out of Stew.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » August 10th, 2006, 11:28 am

Marinepits wrote:Nah, let's make rabbit stew.

yup... that was exactly why he was named that!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 10th, 2006, 12:30 pm

And we've all heard how vicious Sexy Rexy is...maybe Sis does something to her animals to make them vicious??? Sis, are you feeding Wally and Sexy Rexy gunpowder??????
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby julie k » August 10th, 2006, 1:32 pm

a-bull wrote:
rockermom wrote:Ok maybe you are all right about the dont mess with me aproach. That is what I was originally doing. However Rocky being fairly new in our home out of a shelter, I was advised to stop grabing his collar and pulling him out from under bed or off couch or any situation that involved grabbing his collar untill he understood my hand was not going to hurt him. He was only 4 or 5 months at the time and I knew nothing about him. I did know that he wanted to keep certian spaces that he claimed as his safe spots and did not want to get off or out. As for the reason why I dont want my dog under the bed is he is on NILIF. However now that it is 8 months later and he is 13 months old now. If he got under the bed and I wanted him out I would not think twice about grabbing him and pulling him out if he did not come out when told.

No, I think it's very smart advice not to have been grabbing his collar if he was reacting negatively to it.

Rescue dogs have a fair amount of "unkown," so it's always best to be cautious if you elicit a negative reaction, but the problem still needs to be solved.

Different approaches work on some dogs that don't work on others. In all seriousness, grabbing a snarly dog from under a bed, with your face right at eye level, could get you bit.

Thumbs up, a-bull!!

Here's my opinion:
If a dog would rather hide under the bed or leave than play with _me_, I can ignore very well. Sooner or later, I figure I'll look better than the dustballs under the bed.

Julie K
julie k
Just Whelped

Postby a-bull » August 10th, 2006, 5:29 pm

:oops: shucks, thanks . . .

I agree with you---I'm way more fun than a fuzz ball. :purpleBanana:
a-bull
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » August 10th, 2006, 5:48 pm

a-bull wrote:
SisMorphine wrote:
a-bull wrote:We were talking about dogs that try to bite when you pull them out, so you guys are all going to get eaten by your dogs . . . except Mali, who had the good sense to snap a leash on. :bite:

:P

Like I said, they bite me, I bite back. I'm not afraid of that.

Be careful . . .

Wally will snap a leash on you. :D

My solution? I don't care if my dogs go under my beds, lol.

Nah, he'll just pee on my clean pile of laundry. Dirty bastard that he is . . .
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby SisMorphine » August 10th, 2006, 5:49 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:And we've all heard how vicious Sexy Rexy is...maybe Sis does something to her animals to make them vicious??? Sis, are you feeding Wally and Sexy Rexy gunpowder??????

Gunpowder soaked in blood! That's the best way to make your animals mean :twisted:
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior