Vaccine Information

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Maryellen » January 20th, 2006, 5:53 pm

Maryellen
I live here

Postby CinderDee » January 20th, 2006, 6:00 pm

Thanks, ME! That's a great site. :)
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby turtle » January 22nd, 2006, 3:27 am

That's a good site, lots of links there. Thanks for posting it Maryellen!

Here's a few more useful sites on vaccinations:

http://www.whale.to/vaccines.html

http://www.caberfeidh.com/Revax.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/frogholler ... lanco.html

It's a tough choice, do you vaccinate or not? Personally I think yearly vaccinations are a "cash cow" for vets. I would like to try titers and just do the rabies which is required by law.
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby CinderDee » January 22nd, 2006, 3:36 am

Thanks, GF! :D
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Maryellen » January 22nd, 2006, 11:38 am

ooh yes thanks GF i never knew about those other sites!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » February 2nd, 2006, 12:08 pm

Rabies is every 3 years after the 1st two shots, which are 1 year apart. (Or at least here in WA).
We give our own vaccines. Copper will be 8 in March. Maybe he doesn't need one then? I gave him one, a year ago when he first came here.
I guess I feel the need to continue yearly vaccines, because we do so much fostering??
What do you guys (especially those of you who foster) think?
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » February 2nd, 2006, 12:14 pm

i only do the rabies as its required by law here in NJ.. i dont do any other vaccines even though i foster.. most fosters that come here have already had their vaccines..
i think its a personal preference for this., i mean i did alot of reading and research for almost a year before i decided to not have my dogs get vaccinated.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » February 2nd, 2006, 12:18 pm

Thanks.
Shelter dogs routinely get a vaccine when entering the shelter I work at, and I wait 3 days before fostering, in most cases.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Maryellen » February 2nd, 2006, 12:21 pm

its all personal preference.. 2 girls at my work did their research too after asking me if i still got vaccines, and i said no... i told them to do their research, gave them a million sites on the web, and now they both dont give vaccines except rabies to their dogs.. i figure if the person does the research and then feels good about not doing it fine, if not, fine too.. with fosters coming in of course its harder..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » February 2nd, 2006, 12:25 pm

That's my thing...the fosters!!
It's almost like a "magic bullet"??? Wave my vaccine wand and the dogs are still healthy!!
I'll do more research...I do think that the 1st year or two it's important but our dogs are Hunter, 5-6(?), Copper is going to be 8, Yaeger and Libby will be 4, and Lamb Chop of course is a baby. The older dogs have had one each year since we got them.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Romanwild » February 2nd, 2006, 12:25 pm

I will be asking my vet about titers next time I go. If she says she won't do it I will switch vets. :wink:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby CinderDee » February 2nd, 2006, 2:23 pm

The last time Kato was vaccinated was when I fostered him in 2001, except for rabies, which is required by law.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Maryellen » February 2nd, 2006, 2:30 pm

titers charles is just a blood test, the vet should do it as they will charge you for it.. a few days before i have the titers done i take the dogs around other dogs..

i havent done vaccines on jesse in 2 years due to her immune system except rabies.. the vet is fine with this as he suggested it..

sonny hasnt gotten shots in 2 years either.. just rabies..

rufus got vaccines for therapy last year. he will be done by titers as the therapy group allows titers..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » February 2nd, 2006, 2:34 pm

Vaccines seem to be chasing me around lately. But I guess it's my line of work :wink:
I work for a holistic vet practice so we do minimal vaccines and then do titers. Wally got a titer last year and I was pretty satisfied with the numbers (I can't remember them now), so I don't think I'll even check a titer on him for another 6 years or so. He will only get his rabies every 3 years as the state mandates.

In class this morning we were discussing vaccines. The instructor works at a vet's office which is EXTREMELY old school and will vaccinate a 12 year old dog yearly. Made me (and her, as she does not practice this type of medicine on her own animals) cringe at the thought.

Vaccine protocol for the majority of vet clinics right now is: full puppy vaccines, then a yearly booster for 1-3 years after, and then boosters every 3 years. At least they're starting to get it right :)

I mean think about it, we get vaccinated as babies, young children, and one or two as teenagers. We do not get vaccines every year. It's fully unecessary. So why have we been doing it to our dogs for so long?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby turtle » February 3rd, 2006, 1:25 am

SisMorphine wrote:I mean think about it, we get vaccinated as babies, young children, and one or two as teenagers. We do not get vaccines every year. It's fully unecessary. So why have we been doing it to our dogs for so long?

Becasue it's a "cash cow" for the vets! They get that fee every year and make you feel guilty if you don't get your pet vaccinated.

I am glad things are changing and that there is more info out there about how bad over-vaccinating can be for the health of the animal.
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby SisMorphine » February 3rd, 2006, 9:13 am

gf turtle wrote:
SisMorphine wrote:I mean think about it, we get vaccinated as babies, young children, and one or two as teenagers. We do not get vaccines every year. It's fully unecessary. So why have we been doing it to our dogs for so long?

Becasue it's a "cash cow" for the vets! They get that fee every year and make you feel guilty if you don't get your pet vaccinated.

I am glad things are changing and that there is more info out there about how bad over-vaccinating can be for the health of the animal.

I was discussing this with one of the vets I work with and asked her exactly what they taught at vet school regarding vax vs. titer. She said nothing. They didn't teach vaccines because it's a common place thing. Why worry about that when they could be teaching about diseases that only affect one in every 3 million dogs? Apparently teaching the basics doesn't happen in vet schools. Weird, huh?
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Return to Nutrition & Health