hello im new and need help bad

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby sadowner » August 9th, 2006, 2:00 pm

We have a 13 mo old male apbt, he has lived with us since he was 6 weeks old. He has been a great dog up untill last month. Recently he has been trying to attack randon people while on a walk, anyone from some old lady to some teenage kid.

Recently he had a bone, i walked by him and he dropped his teeth and growled so deep the floor felt like it was shaking.

Recently he growled at my 1 year old son when my son picked up one of the dogs toys. He never growled at him before. Him and the baby used to play with the toys. The baby would pull on the end and the do would gently pull back.

Now if i speak to him as if he had done wrong (in a stern low tone) he looks at me as if he doesnt care, almost as if hes challenging me. He doesnt seem to care what we say anymore. Its hard to explain.

We really love this dog. I am really bonded with him since i fed him when he was a baby and all. ITs really sad.

I am very sad right now as the answer to my question seems obvious.

What would you do.?
sadowner
Just Whelped

Postby Romanwild » August 9th, 2006, 2:05 pm

With the child around it is obvious.

I know it's tough but your child's safety is top priority.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » August 9th, 2006, 2:06 pm

Is he neutered? Have you tried Nothing in Life is Free? NILIF is what it sounds. He has to earn EVERYTHING. If he wants to eat, he has to sit. If he wants to be on the couch, he has to wait for permission. Actually, I wouldnt let him on the furniture at all. Take away ALL privilages and make him earn everything. Pick up all of his toys, bones etc... If he wants one, he has to do something for it.

I would not bring this dog in public untill you have this worked out. It is too big of a risk, and it makes the breed look terrible.

This is NOT the proper temperament for a pit bull. I hope you can figure out why he is doing this, but it seems like you know what you might need to do.

:cry:
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby sadowner » August 9th, 2006, 2:11 pm

I have always made him work for everything. He is a really smart dog. He is neutered.

I know it makes the breed look bad and im always one of those people telling everyone how great the breed is.

Once i was talking about the breed to a lady who was looking at my dog.

After awhile she said "yes i guess you are right he looks like a great dog, hes so friendly looking " As soon as she said that he lunged at her with his teeth out.

This is sad. Its like killing a loved one.
sadowner
Just Whelped

Postby Jenn » August 9th, 2006, 2:13 pm

Have you had him evaluated by a professional?
Jenn
undecided

Postby cheekymunkee » August 9th, 2006, 2:16 pm

I am so sorry you are going through this, and you are right. It IS killing a loved one, but it is better that you do it than the city if they have to take your dog due to a bite or attack, better than you, your wife or your baby being hurt. I feel so awful for you and I hate it that you have to make a decision like this. Has he been seen by a vet to rule out any health related problems that may be causing this behaviour? if not, please do so, there could be something physically wrong with him.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby sadowner » August 9th, 2006, 2:17 pm

No because to me i dont think it will do anything.

Hes showing traits eh shuldnt for his breed.

What if he stops.

Then one day my son is on the news because he does it again but worse?
sadowner
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » August 9th, 2006, 2:22 pm

To even begin to give ideas, would you please give us the following info:

1. where are you located?
  2. any changes in your home life, new jobs, new people, new schedulues etc
  3. who lives in your home
  4. other pets
  5. who is the primary caregiver for the dog?
  6. what formal training has the dog had?
  7. where does the dog stay during the day?
  8. where is the dog at night?
  9. age he was neutered
  10. is he current on vaccinations?

Behavior very very very rarely changes "overnight", your dog needs to be evaluated by a professional dog trainer (check credentials)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » August 9th, 2006, 2:22 pm

I would have him professionally evaluated, but definitely keep in mind that you need to do what's best for your family . . . and for the breed. Has he been checked out by the vet? He may have something medically wrong with him.
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Karen » August 9th, 2006, 2:23 pm

sadowner wrote:No because to me i dont think it will do anything.

Hes showing traits eh shuldnt for his breed.

What if he stops.

Then one day my son is on the news because he does it again but worse?

Well you already know what's right and wrong. Now you have to suck it up and DO it.

Well, that is if the dog is real..........................

:bite:
Karen, Cuddles, Dilly the Understudy, and Rowdy the Ruckus Raiser
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby sadowner » August 9th, 2006, 2:30 pm

what the hell do you mean thats if the dog is real?

I came here because i figured id get help from other pb owners not some bullshit comment like that

Mnp13

1 Philadelphia

2 I have been home alot more then i used to but thats about it

3 myself , my wife adn 1 year old son

4 two cats, ( he likes them) fish and 3 birds.

5 myself

6 I have always trained the dog. He has always been a great dog up untill these problems. He has been very easy to train

7 hes in the house during the day except for when he has to go out, he comes to you and sits llookin at you letting you know he has to go out.

8 he stays on his bed downstairs

9 i forgot the exact age , it was some time ago ill have to check

10 yes
sadowner
Just Whelped

Postby a-bull » August 9th, 2006, 2:32 pm

Have him professionally evaluated by someone who knows the breed---not some pitbull-phobic evaluator.

The only right decision right now is a professional evaluation. That's the only right thing to do.
a-bull
I live here

Postby mnp13 » August 9th, 2006, 2:36 pm

there is usually a catalyst to changes like you are describing. You need to find a trainer with experience with Pit Bulls to evaluate the dog. Find out their credentials and then check them.

You, your wife and your child need to attend the evaluation.

Until then, pick up ALL toys in the house and do not let him interact with your son for any reason. If he is not crate trained, it's time for a crash course however you MUST do it correctly or the problems will escalate.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Karen » August 9th, 2006, 2:46 pm

Bottom line is this dog is growling and trying to bite. Regardless of how it got this way, taking that baby's life into consideration and the poster's lack of experience in dealing with nipping it in the bud, there is only 1 resposible thing to do and dumping the dog isn't it.
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby sadowner » August 9th, 2006, 2:55 pm

Karen is on iggy because i dont have time for stupid comments, so far she has made two i dont have time for it.

mnp13 I will look for someone to evaluate our dog in our area. Its kind of hard though because alot of people look at the breed as evil.

In the mean time i have some questions if someone could help me.

I forgot to mention my wife recently started a new job . It used to be she stayed home with the baby and dog and i worked. Now i stay at home and the baby really takes up alot of time. Could this have anything to do with it?

I understand alot of people are saying "put the dog down period" but they dont understand i raised this dog. I have put alot of time into this dog. I take him everyplace. He is more then some dog to me. I really want to understand what is happening. He and my son are almost the same age. He has always been great with the baby.
sadowner
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » August 9th, 2006, 2:58 pm

I still say in addition to the evaluation the dog needs to be checked out by a vet. There was a dog on here who suddenly began growling, lunging, biting, etc, and it was found that she had brain tumors and was rapidly going blind. Definitely bring your pup to the vet for a medical workup.
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Karen » August 9th, 2006, 3:00 pm

sadowner wrote:Karen is on iggy because i dont have time for stupid comments, so far she has made two i dont have time for it.

mnp13 I will look for someone to evaluate our dog in our area. Its kind of hard though because alot of people look at the breed as evil.

In the mean time i have some questions if someone could help me.

I forgot to mention my wife recently started a new job . It used to be she stayed home with the baby and dog and i worked. Now i stay at home and the baby really takes up alot of time. Could this have anything to do with it?

I understand alot of people are saying "put the dog down period" but they dont understand i raised this dog. I have put alot of time into this dog. I take him everyplace. He is more then some dog to me. I really want to understand what is happening. He and my son are almost the same age. He has always been great with the baby.

No Karen is on ignore because you apparently value a DOG more than your CHILD. Bottom line is that your posts are you you you. You did this you did that you need everyone to know you did it. Bah. I still think you're a troll.
Karen
Confident Young Bully

Postby sadowner » August 9th, 2006, 3:00 pm

Thanks He was just in the vets last week , he had nails cut nothing major but ill take him back and explain the problems.
sadowner
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » August 9th, 2006, 3:01 pm

sadowner wrote:I forgot to mention my wife recently started a new job . It used to be she stayed home with the baby and dog and i worked. Now i stay at home and the baby really takes up alot of time. Could this have anything to do with it?

Yes, that would fall under "life changes" in question number 2 above.

I do not readily jump on the "kill the dog" bandwagon.

I'll see what I can do about finding a trainer in your area. How far are you willing to travel?
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby sadowner » August 9th, 2006, 3:05 pm

Well ny,nj,del.maryland are all kinda close to us. As long as it isnt like 4 states away. Their has to be a good person to do it in one of those sates.
I hope?
sadowner
Just Whelped

Next

Return to Training & Behavior