Why do they do this?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Jenn » August 9th, 2006, 12:11 am

:crazy: I was just watching Benjamin going to lay on a blanket, that was on the floor to be washed. He sniffed it a few times, then walked around in some circles, scratched it with his feet, jabbed it with his nose, few more tight circles, one more sniff, then finally plopped down... Half of his body not even actually making it on the freshly prepared blanket.. lol

Is there actually a reason they act like that before laying down sometimes? Yet, when we go to bed, they don't. I get situated then it's both of them up, curl in a ball immediately and settled for the night... :|
Jenn
undecided

Postby julie k » August 9th, 2006, 12:47 am

I don't know, but I do it, too, gotta get all the pillows, blankies, doggies, and hubby in the right place before going to sleep!

Julie K :wink:
julie k
Just Whelped

Postby a-bull » August 9th, 2006, 10:33 am

Just a little nesting action. :)
a-bull
I live here

Postby mnp13 » August 9th, 2006, 10:37 am

Ruby does that... even when she is in her crate, which has no bedding in it.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » August 9th, 2006, 10:45 am

Dream time.
Your dog will tend to circle before lying down to sleep
As he would do in the wild, where he would trample down vegetation to create a bed, typically in longer grass where his presence will be concealed.

Temperature also influences the way in which a dog sleeps.
If it’s cold, your dog will curl up in a ball to conserve body heat. (just as puppies do by sleeping together instead of stretching out).

It’s not unusual for an adult dog to lie on his side while he’s sleeping, and start moving his legs as if he were running.

The eyelids and whiskers may twitch too at this stage, which is usually a sign of what we humans call ‘deep sleep’.

Dogs generally spend most of their time sleeping lightly.

(from http://www.dog-owner.net) :)
a-bull
I live here

Postby Marinepits » August 9th, 2006, 11:20 am

a-bull wrote:
Dogs generally spend most of their time sleeping lightly.

HA! The author obviously hasn't met my dogs. There are times I swear a bomb could go off in here and they wouldn't move and/or wake up!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby a-bull » August 9th, 2006, 11:35 am

ha, ha . . . mine are the opposite---I try to sneak into another room when they're sleeping, but they always jump up and follow me anyways!
a-bull
I live here

Postby Romanwild » August 9th, 2006, 11:59 am

The circling and and tramping ofs pillows or blankets prior to sleep is a communication to their alien brethren that they are to watch over them while they charge up their batteries.

lol

Dreyfus is interesting in how he arranges his blanket in his crate. One thing that's fun to do is to ball it up and throw it in the back prior to putting him in. When I come back to let him out it is always neatly spread out to the dimensions of the crate.

Isn't OCD cute! :P
Romanwild
I live here

Postby a-bull » August 9th, 2006, 12:03 pm

Romanwild wrote:The circling and and tramping ofs pillows or blankets prior to sleep is a communication to their alien brethren that they are to watch over them while they charge up their batteries.

lol

Dreyfus is interesting in how he arranges his blanket in his crate. One thing that's fun to do is to ball it up and throw it in the back prior to putting him in. When I come back to let him out it is always neatly spread out to the dimensions of the crate.

Isn't OCD cute! :P

That's actually correct . . . because they don't have access to aluminum foil or t.v. antennas . . .
a-bull
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » August 9th, 2006, 12:05 pm

I make foil hats for mine but they eat them. :|
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby msvette2u » August 9th, 2006, 12:07 pm

Copper scrapes and scrapes, trying to scrape up the couch or car seat, and make it bunched up before he lays down - sometimes if there's a towel or blanket there he scrapes it so much it falls on the floor! It's fun to watch :)
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Marinepits » August 9th, 2006, 12:10 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:I make foil hats for mine but they eat them. :|

Well, let them use yours.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby cheekymunkee » August 9th, 2006, 12:11 pm

Marinepits wrote:
cheekymunkee wrote:I make foil hats for mine but they eat them. :|

Well, let them use yours.

NOOOOOO!!!!! I cannot take off my foil hat!!! :o

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Marinepits » August 9th, 2006, 12:13 pm

Selfish mommy. :cheeky3:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Romanwild » August 9th, 2006, 12:19 pm

They eat the tinfoil? That must make their poopy sparkel! :D
Romanwild
I live here

Postby a-bull » August 9th, 2006, 12:20 pm

Romanwild wrote:They eat the tinfoil? That must make their poopy sparkel! :D

Oh, yes indeed . . . big sparkle . . .
a-bull
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » August 9th, 2006, 12:21 pm

it does!!! Like diamonds!! I figure the dogs have enough tin foil IN them to fool any alien who comes knocking.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » August 9th, 2006, 12:22 pm

Romanwild wrote:Dreyfus is interesting in how he arranges his blanket in his crate. One thing that's fun to do is to ball it up and throw it in the back prior to putting him in. When I come back to let him out it is always neatly spread out to the dimensions of the crate.

Rais your hand if you think charles needs a girlfriend.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Romanwild » August 9th, 2006, 12:25 pm

any volunteers? :fire:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Marinepits » August 9th, 2006, 12:27 pm

mnp13 wrote:
Romanwild wrote:Dreyfus is interesting in how he arranges his blanket in his crate. One thing that's fun to do is to ball it up and throw it in the back prior to putting him in. When I come back to let him out it is always neatly spread out to the dimensions of the crate.

Rais your hand if you think charles needs a girlfriend.

:hysterical:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Next

Return to Training & Behavior