racist dogs

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Malli » August 7th, 2006, 11:04 pm

I just found out that my parent's dog bit someone quite badly, puncture wounds and all. My dad blames himself, as he'd seen her snap at a couple other people and she was left alone when it happened (not in public, but in a public area on a private property. I agree with this completely.
It also came out that the woman she bit was of asiatic descent and that my dad said that now that he thinks of it, almost all the people she has had issues with have not been caucasian, all have had a darker tone to their skin.

I'm not looking for a training fix as they will simply watch her better and manage this issue (they live in a small town and would have trouble finding people to work her through this, i.e. a group of to feed her etc and help desensitize this issue)

I was just wondering how many people had heard of this type of behavior?

I know I'd heard of it before myself, not sure if I believed it until now...

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby mnp13 » August 7th, 2006, 11:08 pm

My dog Cleo hated black people. HATED them. Would go immediately into fear aggression. No flight drive in that dog, all fear and all in a forward direction.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 8th, 2006, 8:04 am

I think it has to do with who/what they're socialized with as pups. :|
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Maryellen » August 8th, 2006, 8:21 am

jesse HATES all dark skinned people. from the time she was 8 weeks old until she hit 2 years old she was socialized with the gas station guys who were all black, asian, etc... she was fine until she hit 2 . after 2 she hated any dark skinned person. i dont know why, i had them all give her cookies and she was fine at one point.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Marinepits » August 8th, 2006, 8:53 am

My Kate HATES teenage boys with dark skin. She'll go into Cujo-mode in a split second whenever she is too close to one. She's fine with women of all colors, though.

We know she was not treated very well before we got her (just because of her behaviours -- hand shy, fear biter) and that she was found as a stray when she was very young, so who knows what happened to her?

She also dislikes men in baseball hats. :|
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pocketpit » August 8th, 2006, 6:15 pm

I also had a dog that hated black people with a passion. I have no idea why we aquired him around 6 months of age and his previous history was unknown. Once at an obedience trial during the long down a judge from another ring walked behind our ring. She was a white woman but dressed in black from her hat all the way down to her shoes and my dog had a fit. It was very embarrassing as the whole class had to repeat the excercise (minus my dog of course). He threw such a fit that the entire line of dogs broke their downs in confusion over the ruckus.
He mellowed as he got older and more mature even though I never really did any de sensitization for the problem.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Romanwild » August 9th, 2006, 7:57 am

My dog hates whitey. :|
Romanwild
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » August 9th, 2006, 8:26 am

Our first pit Annabelle hated Latino guys. All the guys that do the landscaping in our neighborhood are Latino guys. She absolutely hated them. Trainer said she was definitely poorly socialized as a pup. She came from Hartford, really no way to know what happened to her when she was young.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Marinepits » August 9th, 2006, 8:33 am

Romanwild wrote:My dog hates whitey. :|

:ROFL2:

Da Man keepin him down?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby SisMorphine » August 9th, 2006, 8:44 am

I'm doing my best to train my dog to hate hippies and republicans. So far it's going well :wink:
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Romanwild » August 9th, 2006, 8:45 am

Yeah you cracker! :)
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Marinepits » August 9th, 2006, 8:46 am

SisMorphine wrote:I'm doing my best to train my dog to hate hippies and republicans. So far it's going well :wink:

Better get rid of your birks, then.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » August 9th, 2006, 8:46 am

Romanwild wrote:Yeah you cracker! :)

Cracker what? Cracker who? :D
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby SisMorphine » August 9th, 2006, 8:48 am

Marinepits wrote:
SisMorphine wrote:I'm doing my best to train my dog to hate hippies and republicans. So far it's going well :wink:

Better get rid of your birks, then.

Oh they're gone now. Dirty hippy shoes aren't exactly made out of quality materials . . .
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Magnolia618 » August 9th, 2006, 1:36 pm

rofl rofl rofl
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Malli » August 9th, 2006, 7:05 pm

well this thread took a turn :lol3:

My parents' dog is similar to some of the responses. The "rescued" her from the paper (I believe for free) at 1.5 years, give or take. She has fearful issues, does not like small children, and originally was a VERY picky eater (they figure she was fed table scraps, as she initially wouldn't stay on any food for long and would go days and days without eating), they've also worked through a teeny bit of dominance aggression (my mom lets her walk all over her, and guess what? The aggression only ever showed itself with my mom! :shock: )

She has improved so much, I'm still surprised she bit and that she bit so hard... Ah well, parents, what can you do with them? :|

btw, shes a rottie X (possibly with some healer and I think sharpei aswell)

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 9th, 2006, 7:58 pm

Rory dosnt like dark skinned people either, I tried to give my friend and her black boyfriend a ride and Rory would NOT let him in the car, she was eating glass trying to get to him. I THOUGHT it was because he was black but he ended up a woman beater so maybe she sensed he was evil. I havnt had too many examples to try out the black thing though. I DO however know she hates the bums who hang out by our walking trail, not sure if its their smell or the fact that they stare at us. Eitehr way thats one quirk I'm not eager to fix, she can hate all the scary bums she wants haha!
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » August 10th, 2006, 9:47 am

My dogs like everyone. :| But I live in a very diverse city with just about every ethnicity there is. In my neighborhood alone are Asians, African Americans, Hispanics, Middle Eastern and Caucasions so they are exposed to everyone. Justice does have a problem with motorcycle men though, I think it is more the bike than the people on it. She probably doesn't even realize there ARE people on it, she just doesn't like the scary noisy machine.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Romanwild » August 10th, 2006, 2:32 pm

cheekymunkee wrote: she just doesn't like the scary noisy machine.

Does she run from your room at night? :wink:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » August 10th, 2006, 2:35 pm

No, she is used to THAT noise. :)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Next

Return to Training & Behavior