Dog Food and Brother in law

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby NcPrisonguard » August 8th, 2006, 2:39 am

Currebtly I am feeding Diamond Lamb and Rice with some occasional raw meats (chicken & beef).. and I am getting pretty good results..they eat it fairly slow though which I guess is okay as well... 2 of them going through 40lbs in around about a month and half..give or take.
My brother in law has alot of dogs, mainly Coonhounds which he uses for hunting and he feeds Black Gold and is trying his best to convert me. Have any of you fine folks ever used Black Gold or know anyone you has? Any ideas/suggestions would be loverly.. :twisted:
NcPrisonguard
Just Whelped

Postby Emi » August 8th, 2006, 5:22 am

I've never heard of Black Gold ..
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby Emi » August 8th, 2006, 5:25 am

For the ladies that know more about doggie food ingrediants ..this is the lamb type one of black gold ..

http://www.blackgolddogfood.com/blends/lambmeal.htm

INGREDIENTS
Lamb Meal. Brewers Rice, Rice Flour, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Meal, Ground Wheat, Poultry Fat Preserved w/ Mixed Tocopherols (Source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Natural Flavors, Dried Egg Product, Fish Meal, Ground Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin 6), Manadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B2), Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Cobalt Carbonate.
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » August 8th, 2006, 8:02 am

Chicken by-products and corn. Doesn't look good just by that
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby mnp13 » August 8th, 2006, 9:39 am

two ingredients of the same type in a row is another no-no (rice and rice)
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » August 8th, 2006, 10:08 am

Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Meal, Ground Wheat, Poultry Fat Preserved w/ Mixed Tocopherols (Source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp,

all these are a no no....

2 dogs going thru 40lbs of kibble in a month and a half? i had 3 dogs on timberwolf and a 33 lb bag lasted 5-6 weeks ...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » August 8th, 2006, 4:27 pm

Yeah, that definitely isnt any better than Diamond. I would suggest Timberwolf, Wysong, Merrick, Canidae, etc...

or why not go 100% raw?

You arent mixing the raw meat with the kibble, are you? If you want to feed both, do one in the morning and one at night, or every other day. You dog digests raw and kibble at different rates. :wink:
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby NcPrisonguard » August 8th, 2006, 5:29 pm

Magnolia618 wrote:why not go 100% raw?
You arent mixing the raw meat with the kibble, are you? If you want to feed both, do one in the morning and one at night, or every other day. You dog digests raw and kibble at different rates. :wink:

Going 100% raw isn't completely feasible for me.. and No I don't mix raw and kibble. I give them kibble but once a week or so I'll do a raw day.. or at least a raw evening feeding. I am still not completely sure about the raw and bones.. I hear its ok to leave the bones then a vet tell s me no.. they'll tear the intestine.. So I feed deboned chicken or beef. Vinison when I have it
NcPrisonguard
Just Whelped

Postby Magnolia618 » August 8th, 2006, 5:36 pm

I feed my dogs raw meat (AND bones) every day and I have for a few years. I know people who have fed raw for over a decade and have never had problems. Yes, anything can happen, but your dog can also choke on kibble :| Chicken bones are actually very soft.

Your vet may be confusing raw chicken bones with cooked bones, which do splinter.

Another thing to remember is that most (yes, I said most. Not all.) vets really dont know anything about nutrition. Most vets I know will recommend Science Diet, Purina, or something like that. Very low quality food.
Magnolia618
I live here

Return to Nutrition & Health