Preparing for the bullympics

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby Romanwild » July 31st, 2006, 11:03 am

After a year I received my harnesses out of the blue! I had given up on them and was about to order new ones from someone else and they came in the mail. :shock:

I like them and they fit really well.

I began the training the way I had planned and it is fun. I'm just doing 5-10 minutes a day per dog for now. So far they plan is working. If I keep it up I might be ready for the bullympics.

I'll see if my neighbor won't help me take some pics or video.

The coolest thing happened yesterday after I took the harness off of Dreyfus. He acted so happy and energized. I've never seen him quite this way. I could tell he felt really good. He went inside and fell a sleep after that. It made me think of how I feel after a good workout.

Who else is training?
Romanwild
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » July 31st, 2006, 3:30 pm

Hey Charles!That's my plan for August!!! :D
I just recived Maya's harness last week,she was wearing it for a couple of times,and from this week I will start to training her!I hope we can at least try the novice WP at the Bullympics...And hopefully more in September at the UKC shows!
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Pitcrew » July 31st, 2006, 7:40 pm

I have been messing a little with Jamie every couple of weeks or so (he's to young to do real work yet) and he loves it. But Vega has had a major setback. I was pulling with her about a month ago when a storm started in from out of the blue. She is very phobic about thunder. Now, whenever I take out the harness she takes off.
I am going to have some work to do to change this problem before the bull fest or I just wont pull her.
Libby is all about the food, and Luke just isnt into it.
So... I will have to see.

Vegas has finally learned to swim though... and she loves it! So we are one step closer to Dock diving!
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Purple » July 31st, 2006, 8:45 pm

Do the dogs have to be registered APBT or is a lot of this for fun?
Purple
I live here

Postby mnp13 » August 1st, 2006, 12:14 pm

Purple wrote:Do the dogs have to be registered APBT or is a lot of this for fun?

The dogs just have to be bull breeds or mixes thereof, no registration needed
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Purple » August 1st, 2006, 12:27 pm

Since I am very new at this...I'm sorry I'm asking dumb questions....

Hopscotch does a little weight pull around the yard, strictly for exercise, she can jump into the pool, and has a litlle bit of agility training. Can she participate in anything, just for fun? Like the weight pull, dock jumping or agility?
Purple
I live here

Postby mnp13 » August 1st, 2006, 12:31 pm

Purple wrote:Since I am very new at this...I'm sorry I'm asking dumb questions....

Hopscotch does a little weight pull around the yard, strictly for exercise, she can jump into the pool, and has a litlle bit of agility training. Can she participate in anything, just for fun? Like the weight pull, dock jumping or agility?

It's ALL "just for fun"!!!

Bring her out and give it a try!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Purple » August 1st, 2006, 12:33 pm

Heehee, I just might!
Purple
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » August 3rd, 2006, 8:18 am

again, excuse my ignorance, but how much weight do the dogs pull? i.e. how much do you start out with- what do you work them up to?
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby mnp13 » August 3rd, 2006, 9:01 am

I can't remember the starting weight, but the weight goes up in pre-detirmeined increments until the dog won't pull it any more.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby grizzly » August 7th, 2006, 7:07 pm

the starting weight for dogs 39lbs and under will be under 200lbs
the lowest starting weight for all other dogs will be 360lbs(empty cart weighs 360)
novice dogs can start with either small or large cart

is anyone training for weightpull this month ??? come on people we can't just show up with unconditioned dogs--this is your event -you need to represent.

Rob
grizzly
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby SisMorphine » August 7th, 2006, 8:48 pm

Lisa wrote:I have been messing a little with Jamie every couple of weeks or so (he's to young to do real work yet) and he loves it.

At what age can you start weight pulling? Or at least start training?
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby ellie@ny » August 7th, 2006, 9:08 pm

Sis!This is a good site! :)
http://www.pulldoggies.com/101.htm
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby grizzly » August 8th, 2006, 7:23 am

you cannot compete in the pro class until one year old
i would start training pups at 6-9 mons old
grizzly
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Pitcrew » August 8th, 2006, 7:49 pm

I have been training Vega to enter the WP. However we have had a slight setback... thunderstorm came in while we were training, and she is phobic.
She started stressing anytime I took out the harness, even if I was using it with Jamie. I am currently re-training and introducing her to the equipment again.
I wont compete with a dog in a sport they dont enjoy.
I know if I hooked her up she will pull... but I want her to like it.
We will see how she is.

Jamie is really loving it. He started wearing the harness a couple of times around 5 mos. and started dragging a plastic childs sled (empty) around 6 mos. Since then, we have put a couple of rocks or flakes of hay (not bales) in the sled. Today he will pull an empty wagon (9 mos). I am teaching him cues and technique. He will not just be throwing himself into it... he really knows HOW to move it.

Grizzly;
Would I be able to put him on an empty cart a bit at the pull at the bullympics? He wont be old enough tho enter... or pull real weight... but I want to expose him to the real thing (equipment) for training experience.
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby grizzly » August 8th, 2006, 9:40 pm

yes he could enter the novice class
there would be a 1000lbs limit for novice(500-2000lbs limit is normal)
at nine months you could let him pull in novice to see where his max is so you can know what weights to train with at home.
you could go to all the novice pulls in newyork until dec/jan when you would be ready for the pro class.
Rob
grizzly
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Pitcrew » August 8th, 2006, 10:12 pm

:shock: I dunno...
I am concerned that he can/will pull more than he should for his age.

Besides... I want to train him in this environment and keep it fun for him... arent there rules about food, or rewards?
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby grizzly » August 9th, 2006, 9:20 pm

lisa- how much does your dog weigh?pit bull/bull dog?
no bait - no food at all during your dogs class is pulling(no food between pulls)no toys , no clickers , nothing but you calling your dog.
lisa what do you consider to be too much for your 9 month old?how much weight?let me tell you sometimes the strongest dogs are worthless in the chute, use the competition as an evaluation of your dogs performance levels,i bet he will stop pulling way before his actual peak max.when grizzly pulled 3600 at ukc enfield, it was his career best in competition,was nothing compared to the 4500lbs uphill he pulled 8 times in the training that led up to enfield weekend
grizzly
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Pitcrew » August 12th, 2006, 5:00 pm

Well, I dont actually have a pound # in mind. Everything he has pulled that I would consider heavy was unmeasured weight being dragged in a plastic sled. What this would be transferrreed to in pounds, on wheels, I dont know.
I have recently started him pulling a cart on wheels, but I still cant say how much pounds.
I think I might just pull him or test him either before or after the pull on the first day, and see how he does. Maybe enter the other day depending on what happens.
Trying Vega again today. See what happens...
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby grizzly » August 28th, 2006, 9:07 pm

today i started to train grizzly for the season-thats right first training sesson this year.i fiqure griz needs to bring home the big win for the PBT crew 8)
he hasn't been in harness since 6/25 in reading MA(first attemt at rails)
the puppy has been eating all the food so he's(griz) lost weight

this was are first workout:
2040lbs x4
2520lbs x4
3000lbs x4
3480lbs x3
2040lbs x4
griz was pulling on carpet with the cart riding on blacktop with an uphill pitch for 16 feet.we pull back to back pulls(no wait between pulls) with rest at the change of weights (long enough for me to add the blocks)
you can see i end with a cool down set because he stuggled with the 3480 and i like the end with good pulls so i take him back to the starting weight for a cool down( the cart gets emptied anyway)
see you all at the bullyumpics!!!!!!!
grizzly
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Next

Return to Sports