New here, RMB question.

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby chewbecca » August 7th, 2006, 12:02 pm

What kind of RMBs do you guys feed your dogs?
I've asked this on another dog forum before but I think I'm going to ask here since you all have actual pitbulls.
Ella is 45-50lbs. and I just got her and have not tried ANYTHING raw on her yet. She won't eat any people food so far. I don't even know if she'll go for the whole "raw" thing.
I'm not going to switch completely to raw, I just wanted to know what RMBs you all feed.
Is there anything I should give her to help her digest raw at first? I know that I read that when you first give a dog raw of any kind, they can be "inexperienced" with it.
How do I get her safely into RMBs?
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » August 7th, 2006, 12:15 pm

I am not familiar with the term RMB.

I switched my dogs to raw "cold turkey" kibble one day, raw the next. They didn't have any problems at all. I have made a couple mistakes, but I'm getting better with it.

Ruby would not eat the turkey legs I gave them last week. I don't think she liked the flavor. If I cut the pieces really small she'd swallow them whole, but she wouldn't eat it off of the bone. Riggs just chowed down, and he thought it was Christmas when I handed him Ruby's turkey leg. He's so funny.

They get meat on some days and bones on others. The veal ribs are soft enough for them to eat, the cow ribs are too hard and they shatter. All of the veal bones are very soft actually, and they eat them very fast.

Both dogs got a little plugged up, so be sure that you give them veggies at the beginning until they get used to it.

and a funny story about raw... this weekend we had a vegetarian visiting and I pulled out the one pound chunks of ground beef for Ruby and Riggs. They were still partially frozen but they are used to that. Riggs wolfed his down and them puked it right back up on the kitchen floor. I thought Elizabeth was going to hurl. When I fed them on Saturday I called her into the kitchen to watch again. She came in. She looked like she was being called to the rack. I told her she didn't really have to watch, I was just teasing her. She looked soooooo releived. lol
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby cheekymunkee » August 7th, 2006, 12:34 pm

RMB is short for raw meaty bones. You can give them any kind, I give pork, beef, chicken, turkey. They do not get bone with every meal, but they do get bone at least 4 times a week. I feed completely raw.

Michelle, I was feeding turkey quite a bit but mine started getting tired of it. Munkee would give me the "oh not again" look. My main source for raw meat for them closed ( grumble, grumble) so I am looking for another source, I ran into some really good pork deals so that is what they are eating this week.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » August 7th, 2006, 12:39 pm

See if you can find an organic farm in your area and contact them about downed cows and/or bones from their slaughtered animals.

You definately don't want a downed cow from a commercial farm as they will be pumped full of crap that they tried to keep the cow upright with.

Farmers usually have to compost downed cows because the meat is ruined for human consumption. My dogs don't seem to care though.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Emi » August 7th, 2006, 12:40 pm

Dottie likes Turkey but turkey doesn't like her , poor thing...

For the longest time I never ever gave Dottie bones , until recently , but I make sure i'm around when she's eating them.
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » August 7th, 2006, 12:40 pm

Thanks!! I'll see what I can come up with.

chewbecca, here is a link about raw feeding that might help you with some of your questions.

http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=54
Last edited by cheekymunkee on August 7th, 2006, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Emi » August 7th, 2006, 12:41 pm

Forgot the link Cheeky :)
Emi
Full of Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » August 7th, 2006, 12:43 pm

Emi wrote:Forgot the link Cheeky :)

I KNEW I was going to do that! :)

Not having a good day.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby chewbecca » August 7th, 2006, 12:48 pm

I'm sorry! RMBs=raw meaty bones. I just didn't want to type out the whole term.

I mainly want to give them to her for her teeth. She's got a little bit of tarter and I want to get rid of it.
I want something that she can chew on that won't splinter and is not very likely to cause her digestive problems if eaten.
I'd love to do raw but I lack the time to do the proper research. I try to buy good kibble. She's not really liking canned too much. She's probably just used to the kibble from the shelter.

thank you!
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » August 7th, 2006, 12:50 pm

Any bone you give her will help her teeth, if you want them more for chewing than for food I would go with a strong bone such as a leg bone cut into pieces too big for her to swallow, something that she can gnaw on for a while.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby chewbecca » August 7th, 2006, 12:51 pm

d'oh. I didn't refresh this page before replying.

THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS!!
I really want to feel safe when I give her a RMB.
:D
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health