Just adopted my first pit ever yesterday

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby chewbecca » August 6th, 2006, 9:43 pm

Hello.
I'm a new pit owner.
I adopted Ella (fitzgerald, my 9 year old son is a HUGE fan) yesterday. We met at the K9 university in Chicago, talked with the trainer/behaviorist and he observed her with my children (she didn't even respond to ANYTHING my children did at all), had them walk her (she followed their commands better than she did mine!) and said that she adopted us.
She's a beaut. I'm in love. She is the BEST dog I've EVER owned (so far). We're going to continue her obedience training.
I want to be able to speak to other pitbull owners.
We are so in love with her!

Oh, once you allow me to post in other place, I'll post pics of her. :wink:
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby Jenn » August 6th, 2006, 9:45 pm

Hello, Welcome, and Congratulations! :)
Jenn
undecided

Postby Purple » August 6th, 2006, 9:46 pm

Hello, Welcome to the forum! Stick around, you'll learn lots!

Do you like pizza? :trollDance:
Purple
I live here

Postby chewbecca » August 6th, 2006, 10:04 pm

thanks.
And yes, depending on where the pizza is coming from, I LOVE pizza.

So...what's everyone like here?
Is this a pretty happenin' place?
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby mnp13 » August 6th, 2006, 10:12 pm

chewbecca wrote:So...what's everyone like here?
Is this a pretty happenin' place?

Well, I think it's the best place on the 'net... but I'm biased because I'm the co-owner :wink:

what made you decide to get a Pit Bull?

I didn't adopt Ruby ( :oops: ) but she picked me out as well!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby chewbecca » August 7th, 2006, 8:00 am

mnp13 wrote:Well, I think it's the best place on the 'net... but I'm biased because I'm the co-owner :wink:

what made you decide to get a Pit Bull?

I didn't adopt Ruby ( :oops: ) but she picked me out as well!

This is a really long story. I'm sorry.

Well, I had been on my boyfriend for over a year to get a dog. He kept telling me that he wasn't ready, being single, to get a dog. He didn't want to have to leave a dog alone all day and he liked being able to come and go as he pleased without having to leave a dog alone.

So, anyway, I knew I wanted a dog when I moved in with him. He LOVES dogs, he just wanted to make sure he would be able to give a dog what it needed as far as time for training and love and stuff.

When I moved in I started researching English bulldogs. I had wanted an English bulldog my entire life. Well, after reading that even the healthiest EBs go through some expensive health issues, their life expectancy was not the highest, for a healthy one from a reputable breeder was going to cost me over $1500, I decided I'm not ready for an EB in my life right now.

Then I came across and Olde English Bulldogge. I started researching those. Yeah. I fell in love with a lot of the OEBs, but I couldn't see paying $1500+ for a mixed breed dog without any health testing. I decided at this point I wanted to stay within the bulldog type area. I started researching amstaffs.
At that point my friend had a golden retriever by her that was unclaimed, hurt and she couldn't take it in because of her cats. He was kind of always hanging out by their house ever since they moved in. He was supposed to be the neighbors' but they never took care of him. So she wanted me to look up golden retriever rescues. That search brought me to other rescues. I started noticing that pitbulls make up the majority of dogs in shelters.

My search led me to Furry Friends Foundation in Chicago. I looked at their dogs. 99% of their dogs are pits. I saw Ella's (then, "Havannah") picture and, I fell IN LOVE. Her ears. She has the most amazing, adorable ears, EVER. I then REALLY started paying attention to pitbulls. I started reading, researching, watching video clips, and started learning about BSL.
My boyfriend kept looking at her pics and told me that if I wanted to go ahead and fill out an application we could get her if they allowed us.
So, I did and they called me the next day. This Saturday we went and picked her up.
She's (and we have) been spoiled ever since!

sorry that was a HUGE story. I suppose I could've just said that I was never really or specifically looking for a pitbull, but I found one. And now, I'd own more if Ella would let me.
chewbecca
Loyally Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 7th, 2006, 8:30 am

Welcome! :wave:

I'm so glad you adopted! I'm even more glad you did all that research first - very responsible! This is a great board with a TON of knowledgeable people. It's pretty busy and everybody's friendly. However, they won't hesitate to get on you if it's apparent you're doing something not-so-smart with your pupper (like a dog park...), but it's all out of concern for the breed. You're really going to love it here.
:wave:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby rockermom » August 7th, 2006, 8:52 am

Hey welcome my story somewhat similar.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby PBT Staff » August 7th, 2006, 9:19 am

PBT Staff

Postby chewbecca » August 7th, 2006, 10:52 am

PBT Staff wrote:Image