"Pit Bull" Attack IN PEI (Long)

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Vanessa » August 5th, 2006, 12:19 am

So i was reading our local newspaper at work yesterday and noticed a headline that said " Women Attacked By Dogs". Of course i turned right to the page and read the article. I was shocked and saddened by two things. 1. The attack happened on MY STREET and 2. The offending dogs were described as a pit bull and a rottweiler mix.
I was upset as there has been talk of BSL here and i don't want any more fuel thrown on that fire. The woman was not badly hurt but she had a couple of minor bite wounds and scratches and the story said it could have gotten alot worse if a passing motorist hadn't stopped and she jumped into their car.
I was also kind of surprised that the story said that the owner of the dogs was only given a $100 fine.
I head back up to my office and walk by the Photo Lab and one of the techs stops me and asks if we have a paper anywhere. I tell her that theres one in the staff room but we have none left for sale (i work in a drug store). She tells me that her name is in the paper today and i ask her what for. SHE WAS THE MOTORIST THAT STOPPED AND PICKED UP THE LADY THAT WAS BEING ATTACKED. Gotta love small towns... I start telling her how upset i am that it was another nail in the pit bull coffin and she stops me and seems confused. When i explain that the newspaper identified one of the dogs as a pit bull she laughs and tells me that one of the dogs was a BORDER COLLIE and the other was a lab!!!!
This girl has had Dobermans her whole life and knows a fair bit about dogs and i definately believe her. GRRRRRRRRRR I am so mad that they keep doing this. Our newspaper is very anti pit bull. It's also funny that Ozzy and i were attacked by a loose Border Collie really close to where the women was attacked..... HMMMMM who wants to bet it was the same dog???? Sorry for the long rant but it just makes me so mad :x
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby Malli » August 5th, 2006, 4:54 am

call them and demand a retraction. that is Bull $hit.
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 5th, 2006, 8:15 am

I agree - your friend who was the passing motorist needs to call and set the record straight.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Purple » August 5th, 2006, 9:24 am

Call them, write a letter to the editor, anything.
Purple
I live here

Postby Vanessa » August 5th, 2006, 11:40 am

Yeah i think i will write a letter to the editor. And maybe get her to write it with me. Hopefuly i see her again soon. She is taking some time off from work because they had to put down one of her Dobes on Thursday :( I guess he was really sick....
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby Purple » August 5th, 2006, 12:06 pm

We just had an a "pit bull attack" in my county yesterday. Of course they had the story on the front page. Apparently the dog flew four feet thru the air and tackled the guy... :|
Purple
I live here

Postby Romanwild » August 5th, 2006, 12:38 pm

This has nothing to do with being in a small town.

You do need to do something but it's more then just writing a letter. You should ask to be interviewed by that newspaper.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby Vanessa » August 5th, 2006, 2:41 pm

Hmmmmmm.... That is a good idea RomanWild. When police shot my friend's dog he asked to be interviewed and they did a pretty good piece on him and his dog and showed a picture of them and everything.
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby Vanessa » August 5th, 2006, 2:56 pm

OK i emailed them to see if i could get some answers. Heres the email:
To Whom It May Concern,
I have a question regarding a article that was in Thursday's Guardian. The article was about a woman that was attacked by two dogs while she was walking home on Spring Park Road. The article stated that the dogs were a "pit bull" and a lab/rottweiler mix. My question is who determined what breeds the dogs were? Were the breeds confirmed by the owners of the dogs or just by the woman herself.
I ask because i know the driver of the car that stopped to help the woman and saw both dogs. She stated to me that the dogs were a Border Collie and a lab.
I live on Spring Park Road and i own a dog. He is an American Pit Bull Terrier. I am worried by publishing possibly inacurate information about "Pit Bulls" my right to own the breed of my choice could be in danger.
While walking my dog on Spring Park Road my dog and i have been attacked on two seperate occasions by labs and by a Border Collie. My dog was not hurt luckily and neither was i but both times we were very frightned. My heart goes out to the woman that this happened to and i hope that she is someday able to enjoy walks with her own dogs again.
I believe that there should be very strict penalties for allowing dogs to run around loose, regardless of breed.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions,
Vanessa May
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby Malli » August 5th, 2006, 4:28 pm

I thought that was very well done :thumbsup:
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Vanessa » August 5th, 2006, 4:53 pm

Thanks. I'll let everyone know when i here something back :)
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby luvmyangels » August 6th, 2006, 11:45 am

I think you did a good job on the letter. Let's hope you get an answer and you are able to set it straight. Good luck!!!
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby Jenn » August 6th, 2006, 1:01 pm

I think you did a good job too, and good luck!!
Jenn
undecided

Postby lipshipsattitude » August 6th, 2006, 2:01 pm

If your town is already starting to talk about BSL, I defintly wouldnt let this one slide or you may find yourself regrettingit later. I think the email you wrote was excellent. If you get no response then I would take a ad out in the paper itself, haha! You should amybe post it on your local craigs list so other pit bull owners in your community are aware. Keep us posted!
lipshipsattitude
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL