Florida thinking of banning pit bulls

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby PittieLove » August 2nd, 2006, 3:23 pm

*CROSS POST*

I posted this on the BSL group, so I hope you don't mind the cross post. I just need some help, and I'm looking to all the pit owners I know for it.

There was a pit attack in Central Florida last week, and it now has everyone talking about banning pits. The first govermental group to act is a local city council that is 'investigating' its options and what other cities do.

Here's my question. According to Florida State Law (http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index. ... ch0767.htm), local communities can't have restrictions based on breed -

767.14 Additional local restrictions authorized.--Nothing in this act shall limit any local government from placing further restrictions or additional requirements on owners of dangerous dogs or developing procedures and criteria for the implementation of this act, provided that no such regulation is specific to breed and that the provisions of this act are not lessened by such additional regulations or requirements. This section shall not apply to any local ordinance adopted prior to October 1, 1990.

HOWEVER, Miami-Dade County has BSL. How do they get away with it? Is there some loop hole? I just want to make sure it's not a loop hole that other local groups can get through as well. Can someone please help me understand this so I figure out the best way to fight this current movement for BSL in Central Florida.

AND IF YOU LIVE IN CENTRAL FLORIDA -
The Ocala City Council is the one currently investigating it's dangerious dog options, including BSL.[/url]
PittieLove
Confident Young Bully

Postby Sarahdee » August 3rd, 2006, 1:59 pm

If you could help me out and tell me what I can do to help, I would definitely do it!
thanks
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Romanwild » August 3rd, 2006, 9:53 pm

Contact http://www.adoa.org. I am sure they are on it!

Keep us posted.
Romanwild
I live here

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL