fear bite?

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby HappyPuppy » August 3rd, 2006, 1:06 am

I was vacuuming in the garage tonite and Ruby, who either tries to eat it or runs from it in fear, started after it. I had left the door open and told her to go inside and she was unsure what she wanted to do so I left her alone. She tried to bite it twice and I said "don't eat that" (sort of my leave it command) and 'no.' I was using my leg as a shield to protect the vacuum. On her third strike, I lifted my leg to keep/push her away and she bit my ankle on her retreat. I freaked out, left the vacuum runnung and took off after her. I spanked her (in anger) :cry: and said no bite but she can't have absorbed much with the darn vacuum running. Big mistake, I'm sure. It really bothers me that she bit me and it really hurt and slightly bruised. I want to give her the benefit of the doubt that the vacuum was running but my bare ankle is in no way a part of the vacuum and she knows that. Never any thing like that at all. I'm in and out of her mouth/food bowl all the time. She likes close attention. She and are pretty close, I feel, tho I tend to raise my voice a lot. I play daily with her but admittedly don't train regularly/enough. I'm sort of surprised unless she sees me as not dominant enough since we play so much. We've had her since November 05; only pet. Any insight to the nip? :?
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » August 3rd, 2006, 8:14 am

Here's a good thread Michelle started on training to leave the vaccuum alone. It's a start.

http://www.pitbulltalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=4772

I think maybe lowering your voice may be better than raising it. I think raising your voice, it might get the dog more excited. I don't know though, anyone?
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby mnp13 » August 3rd, 2006, 9:04 am

It sounds like "forward fear" to me.

Fight or flight... sometimes your dog runs, sometimes she attacks. It's all fear.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby a-bull » August 3rd, 2006, 9:22 am

She's just afraid of the vac, which in and of itself just isn't a big deal. My female goes after the vac and is not a fearful dog and is a complete people junkie---no fear biting, issues etc.

You put your ankle in her path, and either she was just in a bit of a frenzy and didn't care what she bit at that point, or it was a redirect issue.

A redirect issue can be worked with, but as I'm sure you know, yelling or spanking isn't the cure and can just result in more issues.

When I vac, I use to tell my girl to "leave it," and if she did, I'd chuck a treat away from the vac. I no longer throw treats now that she gets the connection, and for the most part she ignores it . . . but attacking the vac is always on her mind, so I still do need to tell her to "leave it" now 'n then if she comes creeping around a corner or from under a table.

:)
a-bull
I live here

Postby HappyPuppy » August 3rd, 2006, 11:17 am

Thanks for the input. I had actually read that vacuum thread!!! But then she so clearly nipped me last nite it caught me off guard because I've been trying to watch for any signs of "aggression". Had basically concluded that there is none in this wigglebut.. but that durn vacuum. And I almost closed the door to separate her but thought we could 'work' it out if she had an escape route - have done no other 'practice' or treats tho yet. Will work on it because we are in the market for a major vacuum upgrade and can't be havin' teeth marks on a brand new fancy vacuum!
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby a-bull » August 3rd, 2006, 11:27 am

ha, ha . . . yeah, my vac took a lickin' in the beginning.

Sometimes if the naughty behaviors have escalated too much, it's best to break the cycle and maybe put her in another room while you vac---then start again trying to train her once she has settled out a bit regarding Mr. Monster Vac.

With some dogs it's not fear-based at all. Some dogs are trying to actually protect their owners from the vac monster.

Either way, it's a nuisance. :D
a-bull
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » August 3rd, 2006, 11:47 am

lol with Satin I can tell it is play. She does her play bow like it is going to bow back at her. She thinks it's funny, but I don't. Usually I put her in another room but I am going to start doing the suggestions posted here.
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Return to Training & Behavior