Tape worms again!!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Jenn » August 2nd, 2006, 5:51 pm

I don't understand, here we go AGAIN!! Tucker has tape worms again. I just picked him up from the groomers, and he was going to the bathroom. BOOM, little white worm on his butt again. It seems like just last month we got rid of them! The vet has given me the medicine to treat him three times. They go away (well I don't seem them), then they are back. :| So I call them today, and she says "well he just had a fecal, and was clear, since it's tape worms again, just come in and we'll give you some more medication".. So from what I understand they are from eating a flea.. He is on Frontline, and I give it to him every month on time. I've had the worst time with him having fleas. He's not ate up with them, but I'll see a few here and there. When he gets a bath there will be maybe 2 or 3.. I understand with all this rain we've had, and the heat they are probably flourishing. :| Ben and Maddie will have a few here and there as well, yet they are clear and worm free. I even paid for day boarding so I could fog my house. :( I do live in the woods, and have a LOT of wild animals, though I did treat the yard the best I could. I'm at a loss with this, and don't understand why he keeps getting them? Any suggestions, advice? There has to be something cheaper, or another way to prevent/get rid of these things!! It is so freaking nasty...
Jenn
undecided

Postby satanscheerleader » August 2nd, 2006, 6:07 pm

Eating poop?
satanscheerleader
Loyally Bully

Postby iluvk9 » August 2nd, 2006, 7:01 pm

I don't know if this will help, but a friend had a dog that kept getting infested with tapeworms because the dog was eating small wildlife that had tapeworms...from fleas. Maybe your dog is eating something in the woods?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby msvette2u » August 2nd, 2006, 7:43 pm

Fleas transmit the tapeworm, that's right, especially fleas from mice!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Purple » August 2nd, 2006, 8:38 pm

What about a heartworm preventitive that also protects from other worms? Would that keep them at bay?
Purple
I live here

Postby msvette2u » August 2nd, 2006, 8:46 pm

There's one wormer, Safeguard, which SAYS it gets tapes. I'm not 100% sure, I have not used it for that. Other than that, it's the tape worm med you get from the vet and it's spendy - Drontil? Drontal? You can buy it online but it's spendy there too.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Jenn » August 2nd, 2006, 8:47 pm

No, there isn't any poop for him to eat, or rodents.. He is very rarely even outside alone, and when he is he's on a tie out. Otherwise, only outside for walks, and I'm with him. This is really getting frustrating though. :( Thanks for the suggestions.
Jenn
undecided

Postby Miakoda » August 3rd, 2006, 1:45 am

That sucks. I'm so sorry. I hate seeing little white wormies coming out of a dog's tush. :puke:

However, it only takes 1 flea to reinfest your pup. Also, he can get them from eating lizards or the like as well. I always have Droncit on hand to dose the pups with in the event of tapes. None of the preventatives really do anything to prevent tapeworms.

Good luck with the little devil!
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby Jenn » August 3rd, 2006, 1:47 pm

Well looks like here we go again then... :evil:
Jenn
undecided

Postby Mind_doc » August 3rd, 2006, 2:38 pm

I had to dose my two dogs 2x before getting rid of them. The advise the vet gave me was to make sure you pick up their poop if they go anywhere near your house or yard. Both my dogs graze like cows so even eating grass where there was infected poop could cause a flair-up. Warn any neighbors that have dogs. When my neighbor dosed his two GSDs the problem stoped. Coincidence?
Mind_doc
Just Whelped

Postby Jenn » August 3rd, 2006, 3:03 pm

Thanks.. I pick up poop regularly though, and he doesn't even try to eat the cat turds. He's a poop and zoom kinda guy, lol. He wants no part of it when it's over.

Well, I just got back from the vet. They gave me a month free of Sentinel, and told me to try it just for Tucker. Basically being that the Frontline doesn't work for him like it does for the others, so maybe something different will help the fleas. He suggested that it could very well be his body chemistry doesn't work with the frontline. Get rid of the fleas, no more tape worms. :|
Has anyone tried or currently give thier dogs the sentinel?
Jenn
undecided

Postby pitbullmamaliz » August 3rd, 2006, 4:21 pm

Inara's on the Sentinel - haven't had any problems with it. :|
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Return to Nutrition & Health