my baby keeps biting me....

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Sarahdee » August 1st, 2006, 12:04 pm

The agility class sounds like a good idea.
I'm going to keep going to classes as long as I can.
Its only a few hours on Saturday, and I think its fun!
I always can't wait to go there.
He was a little hyper yesterday.
We took my car to get an oil change and walked down the street to the pet store. He loved it in there...lol
I bought him a bunch of snacks and a kong.
well, when we got home, he wouldn't stay away from the Kong, he loves that thing.
So it got him all hyped up. He started coming toward me, pouncing around. So I stood up and folded my arms and walked into the kitchen, he followed me and I pointed to the crate. I didn't say one word, he just went into the crate for about 5 minutes, and he was all settled down.
So it went well yesterday. Now I know what to do when he starts "zooming" :)
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby rockermom » August 1st, 2006, 5:59 pm

Yeah zooming crazy dogs. Yesterday it was hot as heck, I took ROcky for a 2 mile walk at 8:30. Dog seemed tired till we got in the house. He was so happy to be home he started zooming right away. I jumped in front of him and said loud and firm STOP. He stopped and collapsed for the night. I too wanted to continue training classes. But have taken off for the summer. The cost was killin me. We did 3 levels. It is alot of fun and I miss it.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Sarahdee » August 2nd, 2006, 2:01 pm

he was zooming around last night when I was folding clothes. I looked at him and folded my arms, he settled down, but started this little whiney bark. Its hard to explain. Kinda like a kid being defiant or something.
after a few minutes he settled down.
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby SpiritFngrz » August 2nd, 2006, 5:42 pm

yah i think once in a while they will try to challenge you. Sounds like he is getting a lot better though!!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Sarahdee » August 3rd, 2006, 12:50 pm

he was mouthing a little bit yesterday, but again I just walked over to his crate and pointed and he went right in.
I didn't even say a word.

So that was good. He did eat up one of my bras when I was folding clothes. I couldn't get that thing out of his mouth. He loves going after my clothes :)
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » August 3rd, 2006, 2:13 pm

Sarahdee wrote:So that was good. He did eat up one of my bras when I was folding clothes. I couldn't get that thing out of his mouth. He loves going after my clothes :)

Though that sounds like it was funny, allowing him to continue things like this will continually undermine your training. If you can't get things out of his mouth, don't give him the chance to get them in his mouth.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Sarahdee » August 3rd, 2006, 2:16 pm

mnp13 wrote:
Sarahdee wrote:So that was good. He did eat up one of my bras when I was folding clothes. I couldn't get that thing out of his mouth. He loves going after my clothes :)

Though that sounds like it was funny, allowing him to continue things like this will continually undermine your training. If you can't get things out of his mouth, don't give him the chance to get them in his mouth.

yep, your right. I have been doing good with keep all doors closed and keeping him with me at all times, but sometimes he will sneak a fast one by me. I will make sure to keep all of these things away from him.
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby rockermom » August 3rd, 2006, 5:23 pm

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. 8 mos later and I am still keeping baby gates up and doors closed and still he has managed to sneak by me and steal a bra or two.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby SpiritFngrz » August 3rd, 2006, 6:03 pm

yep, we had to get a hamper with a lid because of the sock thief :)
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Sarahdee » August 4th, 2006, 9:26 am

good idea, hamper with lid!!!
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby julie k » August 5th, 2006, 3:15 am

Sarahdee wrote:I have had the pup for about 4 weeks now and he is about 7 months old.
He is getting alot better, but he still attacks me and bites my arms.
I know he is playing, but I need to stop this now.
nothing has worked to get him to stop being mouthy.
I have to put him in his crate because I can't stop him.
I have been using the rock bottle trick and that works, but I don't always have the bottle around when he goes nuts!
any suggestions to make him stop.
thanks

I want to try to take you guys down an entirely different avenue of looking at this problem. Some of you will think I'm crazy, some of you will stop and think, some of you will understand.

First off, dogs do not have hands with opposable thumbs. They have mouths. Their mouth is like their tool. By correcting instead of directing their efforts to interact with you, you are inhibiting their ability to realize the full potential of their tool.

This is a great age to teach bite inhibition as well as a retrieve. I teach my dogs the names of their mouth parts---lips, gums, teeth, chin, tongue, mouth open, mouth closed, and to allow me to touch and handle those body parts. I teach them to hold various objects of different textures, one of the first being my finger.

I see this puppy as a wonderful, bright dog who wants to interact with his owner, who needs something to do.

As to leash chewing, if I have one who loves to play tug, I let them, but only on my terms. I hold the lead between their mouth and the collar and slightly elevate their front feet up to get them to give.

I don't like to use or see others use harsh, angry, or emotional verbal negatives, often they are injurious to your relationship, they don't help teach the dog what to do instead, and sometimes dogs will keep doing what they are doing because negative reinforcement is after all, reinforcement. I would rather redirect or refuse to participate. If I have to use a physical correction, I'm going to deliver it with a leash and collar with no emotion and only enough to get the point across.

As to using a chain lead, I would have him on a snug small link pinch with a tab just long enough to grasp, but too short for him to chew, and only when supervised.

A fun alternative to the rips (zooming through the house) is fast spins to the right and left. The rips are gonna happen!

George Bailey is hyper and large. When company comes over, I save up cans for him to put in the trash. He gets to show off and it burns off the drive so he can calm down around guests.

Julie K
julie k
Just Whelped

Postby rockermom » August 5th, 2006, 12:46 pm

Naahh I dont think your crazy. I get what your saying. GOod point. My dog was mouthy too and needed to learn not to bite hard. He still does play bite but gets corrected when he wont stop when told. He has learned not to bite hard and if gets me by accident when playing tug etc if I say owe. He drops down. When I first got him I read all this stuff about how pitbulls should never be putting teeth on human skin. I never wanted him nipping or play biting etc. But then I read about dogs and bite inhabition and realized I wanted him to learn. Glad I did.
Now I am interested in your game when the zoomies happen. Also cans in the trash? My dog is a crazy zoomer sometimes when certian company visit. He does a few tricks company love to see that too. But they do not involve running around.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby julie k » August 5th, 2006, 1:34 pm

rockermom wrote:Naahh I dont think your crazy. I get what your saying. GOod point. My dog was mouthy too and needed to learn not to bite hard. He still does play bite but gets corrected when he wont stop when told. He has learned not to bite hard and if gets me by accident when playing tug etc if I say owe. He drops down. When I first got him I read all this stuff about how pitbulls should never be putting teeth on human skin. I never wanted him nipping or play biting etc. But then I read about dogs and bite inhabition and realized I wanted him to learn. Glad I did.
Now I am interested in your game when the zoomies happen. Also cans in the trash? My dog is a crazy zoomer sometimes when certian company visit. He does a few tricks company love to see that too. But they do not involve running around.

One of the reason we love this breed is their speed and atheleticism, yet that is exactly what I am seeing discussions about punishment for. When the rips strike, the dog has to exorcise them---you can't repress or punish them for having pent up energy, you can only direct it. And you cannot fairly ask or force a dog to be calm if his energy level requirements are not being met.

You can toss cookies out and back toward you, you can teach spins in both directions, jump over your leg, jump through a hoop you make out of your arms, or leg weaves; these are just different behaviors so they can have their zoomies without being a bull in a china shop.
If you have taught a retrieve, there are plenty of dogs who can spend hours (or until you decide you've had enough) doing this.
George comes from a long line of trash raiders, I just turned his retrieve into putting the can into the trash instead of giving it to me. He loves it and his perception of the trash container has changed.

Julie K
julie k
Just Whelped

Postby Sarahdee » August 7th, 2006, 11:18 am

well, he is still mouthing a little, but nothing like before.
Its mostly when we are on the floor and he is playing with his toys.
but he is not leaving any marks or scratches. They are very light.

He did do excellent in his class this weekend!
He won the sit down stand contest! and the obedience trainer said he was very proud of me! He knew I was pretty upset the first week, and now he has changed so much!
yeah, i was so happy about it all weekend!!
wooo hoooo!!
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » August 7th, 2006, 11:22 am

being absolutely, rigidly consistant will make a HUGE difference in his behavior. I'm glad things are getting better!
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby rockermom » August 7th, 2006, 1:04 pm

yeah Bronx!! and Sarah
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Sarahdee » August 8th, 2006, 9:29 am

Thanks! I was so excited!!
I'm just going to keep going with the classes until there are no classes to go to. I like going, its very rewarding when he does what he is supposed to :)
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Previous

Return to Training & Behavior