Question about working dogs

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 28th, 2006, 8:25 am

Excuse my ignorance, but I have a genuine interest to learn. I've heard people say on here that working dogs are not pets, although sometimes they are. My question is, when is a working dog a pet, and when is it not? What's the difference- is there a specific instance when it should NOT be a pet/part of the family?
As I said I am just curious. Thanks!
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby bahamutt99 » July 28th, 2006, 12:29 pm

I think there are different ideas of what a working dog is. I call my dog and myself "weekend warriors" because she's not out there with an actual job everyday, but I do still put her to work. Folks who regularly do weight pull or agility or Schutzhund with their dogs probably consider them working dogs. And then there's working breeds, which I consider any breed bred to do a challenging physical task, not just the AKC's working group. (I consider the APBT a working breed.)

In other words, the answer is going to be different depending on who you ask.
~~~
[b]Lindsay
[i]& the [url=http://www.freewebs.com/bahamutt99/index.htm]Gravity Dogs[/url][/i][/b]
bahamutt99
Confident Young Bully

Postby katiek0417 » July 28th, 2006, 9:23 pm

My girls are working dogs, but also pets. They live in the house with me, sleep next to my bed (on the floor), but they are not allowed to play with toys (in the absence of training) nor do they get treats/bones in the absence of training.

They have much more freedom than most working dogs.

However, my next dog will be a working dog. It will be raised inside the house, but will remain in a crate unless it is working. When it turns 6-months old, I will move it to an outdoor kennel run.
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby grizzly » July 29th, 2006, 10:19 pm

i often tell people grizzly is not a dog , he's a k-9 athlete.
when he's not training or competeing he's in the kennel.
he doesn't come in the house(except for rare occations).
i don't concider him my pet- more like a faithful old tractor who's aways there to get the job done - with tail wagging!
i have raised saints inside as pets and will tell you that i didn't get the same work ethics out of these dogs( they get too caught up in everyday drama of life), working dogs know only there job and get there love, rewards, attention from getting the job done.

keeping working dogs this way isn't for everyone, somepeople need more companionship than work from there pets , but like any top level competiter there life evolves around there sport.

when i first started weight pulling- first pull ever a man named gary smith from canada asked me (after seeing my saints attemt pulling) if my dog was a house pet , when i told him yes he said he could tell.my dogs took first and third that day with stiff novice competition, but that day changed the way i raised my next dog - griz
grizzly
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Return to Sports