Pit bull shot 26 times NYC

Pits in the news and info on Breed Specific Legislation.

Postby Maryellen » July 25th, 2006, 2:00 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/ ... 8722c.html

Cops 'justified' to shoot pit bull 26 times

BY MADISON J. GRAY and ROBERT F. MOORE
DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Cops involved in the killing of a pit bull in a Bronx apartment building will reenact the shooting for investigators trying to figure out why it took 26 bullets to subdue the attacking dog, a police source said.
Police chiefs said NYPD procedures were followed in the shooting in a hallway early yesterday that left one cop bitten and three other officers with graze wounds from what officials called friendly fire.

"The shooting was justified, period," said Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne. "As with any shooting, the tactics employed, including the number of shots fired, will be examined by the firearms review board."

The four patrolmen and a sergeant will reconstruct the wild shooting at Rodman's Neck, the NYPD's firing range. A date hasn't been set.

Police were called late Saturday to 480 Concord Ave., Port Morris, on a report of a tenant-landlord dispute that involved a teen smoking pot at the building.

The suspect, Lenin Acevedo, who turned himself in hours later and was charged with marijuana possession, ran from his sixth-floor apartment to another flat on the fourth floor.

Acevedo kicked in the door and a pit bull named Cookie came sprinting into the hallway, witnesses said.

The dog locked its jaws around one officer's leg just after midnight, drawing at least two of the cops to fire from their 9-mm. service weapons. The graze wounds, a police source said, were suffered from ricochet gunfire.

"He was a good dog," said a 12-year-old boy whose family owned the pit bull. "He never bit anybody in his life."

The boy, whose relatives asked that his name be withheld, said he was in his bedroom playing with a PlayStation when the suspect ran into his apartment.

"They killed my dog and didn't say they were sorry," the boy said, adding that authorities seized a puppy from the apartment.

A witness said the dog was shot at least 10 times.

Authorities wouldn't identify the cops involved, but a source said the three wounded patrol officers were rookies.

One officer was hit in the leg and abdomen by bullet fragments. A second cop was grazed in the right leg, and another was bitten in the left leg.

A sergeant was clipped in the ankle.

The cops were taken to Lincoln Hospital, and all were in stable condition yesterday.

Meanwhile, the brain tissue of the dead dog was being tested for rabies.

"This is disgusting," said the 12-year-old boy's aunt, who wouldn't give her name. "What can you say about a situation like this?"

With Melissa Grace and Bob Kappstatter

Originally published on July 24, 2006
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » July 25th, 2006, 2:19 pm

Bunch of smurfing morons!!! It's a wonder no people were wounded. :x
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » July 25th, 2006, 3:13 pm

That's awful!!! :evil: :(
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby Vanessa » July 26th, 2006, 3:25 pm

That is terrible!!! My friend's dog was shot 3 times by police when they were trying to arrest someone that lived in the same building. Luckily the dog ( American Staffordshire Terrier) lived but he still has bullets in his neck and chest that they can't remove. It was a completely unprovoked shooting. The dog is not aggressive and did not try to bite the officers. He did go to the door to see what was going on and was shot through the window of the closed door!!!! Stupid assholes :cry:
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby Jenn » July 26th, 2006, 3:35 pm

Wow, I feel sorry for that little boy. That's just sad. Why would they take the little puppy in the house? :?
Jenn
undecided

Postby muse » July 26th, 2006, 4:38 pm

Maryellen wrote:The dog locked its jaws around one officer's leg

There we go with the locking jaws yet again. Man people are stupid!! :evil:
muse
Confident Young Bully

Postby HappyPuppy » July 28th, 2006, 5:52 pm

What idiots. They're trained t be too trigger happy! My dad has guns and I have shot some and may have my own someday ... but I don't think regular cops should be trained to 'shoot to kill' for most of the cases they encounter. Sure, if a guy is waving his AK at you, that might be reason to aim to kill but to kill the 12-year old kid stole a police cruiser last year was ridiculous. One bullet in the leg or abdomen to stop somebody should be plenty in most cases, including a dog when you don't know if you're even in the right household. Geez.
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 29th, 2006, 7:45 am

As a LE officer, I am trained to shoot to kill. However, we are also trained not to shoot unless our lives or somebody else's life is in danger. There are always uproars when a cop shoots somebody, but until you are in their shoes, you have no idea.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby HappyPuppy » July 29th, 2006, 4:17 pm

I knew better to make such opinionated and uneducated statements. Sorry. :oops:
HappyPuppy
Supremely Bully

Postby luvmyangels » July 29th, 2006, 9:17 pm

I feel horrible for the little boy. It is a sad story.

But as always the media hypes things up especially when it comes to the NYPD. I am sure there is more to the story.
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 30th, 2006, 4:56 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:I knew better to make such opinionated and uneducated statements. Sorry. :oops:

No harm, no foul. :wink:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby luvmyangels » July 30th, 2006, 10:01 pm

From what I have heard not all 26 bullets hit the dog. Although I know the article says 10. Not saying it is not excessive.

Here is the NY Post article:

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews ... greene.htm
luvmyangels
I live here

Postby bouvierz » August 6th, 2006, 6:54 pm

when taking firearms training we are trained to shoot at center mass and to shoot until the threat stops. So Its not to hard to believe that between 4 officers 26 rounds were fired. 70-75% of all shots fired do not hit the target in a high stress situation. On multipe occasions I have assisted the police on drug raids and have witnessed dogs being shot. I recall one occasion when a pit charged the officers. Thay shot the dog multiple times with a shot gun and the dog to my amazement kept comming :o . I was horrified and upset that I couldnt help the dog. Looking from the outside looking in 26 shots looks excessive but you never know unless your actually there. I sounds like the officers were young and inexpierenced. :|
bouvierz
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby DemoDick » August 7th, 2006, 1:59 pm

Having been in this same situation a few times I can tell you that I probably would have done the exact same thing. It's the one thing I hate to have to do, but I'm going home in one piece.

Demo Dick
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Marinepits » August 7th, 2006, 2:10 pm

DemoDick wrote:It's the one thing I hate to have to do, but I'm going home in one piece.

And that's all that really matters to me, as the wife of another LEO. Thanks for saying that, Demo.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » August 7th, 2006, 2:49 pm

No LEO is taught to "shoot to wound". If the weapon is used the idea is to kill. Period.

We had a young kid shot and killed here a couple years ago. He had stolen a car and tried to run over some police officers. There was a HUGE uproar about him being shot and killed. So, tell me, what was a 13 year old doing out a 2 am driving a stolen car and trying to run down some cops? No, no, it's the racist cops killing a black kid. Let's not blame the source of the problem.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » August 7th, 2006, 3:00 pm

I'm sorry Michelle, but didn't you know parents are absolved of all responsibility after the child is born? :D

And, before I get fried, that statement is a sarcastic joke!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Return to Pit Bull news and BSL