Grooming me????

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby NcPrisonguard » July 25th, 2006, 11:54 am

Ok next question... My girl Cheyenne, 5 months old has this habit of what I guess is grooming me maybe?

You know how a dog uses its teeth to get an itch? Not really biting, but what I call "itching" Well when I am snuggling with Cheyenne, she'll get my chin (which I have facial hair) and she'll start "itching" me Its not hard and it dosn't hurt and when I tell her to stop she does... is she grooming me? Or is this something totally different?
NcPrisonguard
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » July 25th, 2006, 12:47 pm

She's nibbling. It is a pit bull trait I guess you could call it. My male dog is a bit OCD with his nibbling, he does the cats, the pillows, the sofa, the bed.........anything he can get his teeth on. He does it also to calm himself down when he gets really excited. My female does it to but not to the extent he does.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby a-bull » July 25th, 2006, 1:22 pm

Yup, yup . . . somewhere in here I asked that question because my male does it constantly, mostly to blankets when he's tired.

Is that more of a pitbull trait, Cheeky? Because now that you say it, I've never actually seen another dog do it. :?
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » July 25th, 2006, 2:01 pm

All of my pit bulls have done it but none of the other dogs have that I can recall. I know little fuzz butt Ollie doesn't do it, she is usually on the receiving end.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby NcPrisonguard » July 25th, 2006, 3:16 pm

So then I guess its nothing bad tha needs to be stopped.. yes? I've noticed Boomer nibbling cheyenne, but he's never done it to anything else. Cheyenne nibbles the cat, my chin, my arm, my wife's arm, her hair.. everybody... but I've never seen her do it to anything that wasn't alive. No blankets no pillows or anything like that.
NcPrisonguard
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » July 25th, 2006, 3:34 pm

Nope, nothing bad, although it can get annoying & a little painful sometimes when you accidently get pinched.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Romanwild » July 25th, 2006, 4:39 pm

I've heard they are called "love bites". My dogs do it to me and each other. Dreyfus also likes to chew earlobes in the same manner.
Romanwild
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » July 25th, 2006, 5:03 pm

We call it nitting. My aunt and uncle's GSD does it.
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Magnolia618 » July 25th, 2006, 5:07 pm

Maggie does it on blankets. Drives me batty! I KNOW she does it to annoy me! :twisted:
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby ellie@ny » July 25th, 2006, 6:45 pm

Maya does it to anyone who lets her to give a kiss,and she took out two earings already.... :D
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Vanessa » July 27th, 2006, 8:59 pm

Ozzy does this too. It can get annoying but when we tell him "gentle" he stops nibbling and starts licking :)
Vanessa
Confident Young Bully

Postby Malli » July 27th, 2006, 9:06 pm

my family's first dog, a GSD mix, used to do it to the cat. Its been called flea grooming/nibbling from my part of the world.

Oscar will do it too if you scratch him in the right spot, I don't let him with me because he pinches too often and it hurts!

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Training & Behavior