Under the weather

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby rockermom » July 23rd, 2006, 10:32 am

This is a new one for Rocky. He seems under the weather or depressed today. Last and only time I saw this was after him being here his first week when 2 mornings in a row he did not want to come out of crate to eat. So this is very unusual behavior. This morning when I got up he was in crate door open and did not come out to greet or see me making breakfeast. Extrememly unusual food was involved. Then my Husband came out of bed Rocky just looked but laid there. He did come out a little later when my husband said you want to "eat". He came out ate and laid down. I was sitting on the floor playing leggos with my son which we can never do cause Rocky would steal. He is not in a stealing mood today. He came over and sat in my lap and laid down. He never does that. He is not much for petting only food. Now almost 2 hrs later and he is laying in the crate. He did play tug this morning. But he is just being a bit of a lump. I would not mind him being that way, but its just not Rocky. I know dogs to get sick with a cold or a virus. So it brings me to wondering since Im new at dog ownership, what do you do when they are under the weather or develope a cough or virus? Is there something that makes them feel better. Like we drink tea or have a little cola to calm upset stomach? I wish he could tell me whats wrong. He just plain looks sad today.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Magnolia618 » July 23rd, 2006, 12:11 pm

How are his gums? How about his stools?

I would definitely have him checked out...
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby Maryellen » July 23rd, 2006, 12:12 pm

did he eat something he wasnt supposed to? has he been pooping normal?
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » July 23rd, 2006, 12:15 pm

poop seems normal, gums are pink. He is asking to go out. And playing a little while out there. He is now chewing on his bone. I sure dont mind it. He is actually hanging around to get pet. Maybe he will develope a new habit of enjoying some pet time.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby msvette2u » July 23rd, 2006, 12:22 pm

It sounds like something is bothering him. I think I'd take him in if he's doing the same tomorrow.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby rockermom » July 23rd, 2006, 12:31 pm

Dont dogs sometimes just not feel well? Like us. Do you run them to the vet evertime they dont feel well? Just curious. With my kids I ran them to the doctor when not well just because I had insurance. If I did not have insurance I probably would have not gone in most cases. Well I did not take them for colds or minor virus. I also remembered that after spring break he went through some days of crying and following me around.It had rained for days and I think He missed the kids when they went back to school and missed the sunny weather. I will keep an eye on him. I think he is ok since in between his lazy episodes he is looking for treats and chewing his bone and acting as usual.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Magnolia618 » July 23rd, 2006, 12:46 pm

If my dogs didnt show an interest in food? They would be on their way to the vet right away.

When Maggie had a SEVERE allergic reaction to tahini, I gave her a piece of chicken and she just looked at it. I started FREAKING out because she is usually so food crazy and she finally started to eat veeery slowly. I had her butt in the jeep as soon as she finished eating. She was also having a hard time standing, turning red, having tremors, etc... so it wasnt as bad, but the not eating would have me worried.
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby rockermom » July 23rd, 2006, 7:14 pm

Well Rocky seemed better. He is having one crazy day. The sun came out and he seemed much better. Later on in the day he decided to remind me he is still a puppy. We had company over and I had him leashed when they came in. He calmed and was being good so I took the leash off and we went out back for BBQ. He was being good laying down while we ate. Untill my son left his plate with steak on a low table. Whole piece of steak gone in a sec. Did not make a big deal it was kids fault for leaving it. Said bad boy and go lay down left it at that. Now it was time for cake. One of the visitors sons was sitting with plate on lap Rocky came out of no where from laying down and stole chocolate cake right off the plate while the kid was holding it. Lucky they were getting ready to go so after they left got out the peroxide and it was vomit time. That was just a few of the small problems of the day. He keeps ya on your toes. Im just so happy I have a friendly dog who does tricks and amuses my guests. I love em.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby msvette2u » July 23rd, 2006, 7:48 pm

rockermom wrote:Dont dogs sometimes just not feel well? Like us.

No it isn't really like that with dogs. Some dogs don't have an appetite like other dogs but if your dog is acting odd, not eating, etc. it's usually because the dog is ill. The key is "not acting like itself", which is what you stated in your first post.
The problem is that by the time you notice it and wait a day or two often the dog can die.
Animals are hardwired to not show weakness - thus, if one is acting ill or injured at all it usually REALLY is. Not like people who can say "Oh my tummy hurts" or whatever.
A dog can eat a toy or sock or something and become gangrenous inside within hours, if the toy binds around the innards. You can lose a dog quickly this way, even with surgery.
Thus the recommendations from others, to take the dog to the vet if it is acting "not itself".
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Magnolia618 » July 24th, 2006, 8:00 am

I'm so glad he's feeling better!! :)

(Just FYI... I wouldnt worry about making him vomit over one piece of chocolate cake. It takes alot of chocolate to do any harm)
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » July 24th, 2006, 9:28 am

Dogs can get small viruses that make them ill for a few days and then they bounce back without any medication, much like us. Wally has had days where he didn't want to eat. Halo has also gone through spells of just being a bit more low than normal.

Provided there isn't anything REALLY wrong with them (ie: excessive vomiting, liquid diarrhea, etc) I just wait it out. Weather could also have a lot to do with it. I know here in the past week we've gone from absurdly humid and hot, to thunder storms, to a nice cool day (today). Such dramatic changes can mess with their systems.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby rockermom » July 24th, 2006, 11:18 am

Magnolia618 wrote:I'm so glad he's feeling better!! :)

(Just FYI... I wouldnt worry about making him vomit over one piece of chocolate cake. It takes alot of chocolate to do any harm)

THanks for the FYI, One of the trainers scared me about a beutiful think it was great dane pup from a previous class, that ate supposedly one chocolate chip cookie and died. My son was there when this was told and gets very worried if Rocky has eaten a bit of chocolate.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » July 24th, 2006, 11:39 am

Untill my son left his plate with steak on a low table. Whole piece of steak gone in a sec. Did not make a big deal it was kids fault for leaving it. Said bad boy and go lay down left it at that.

did you catch him in the act with stealing the steak? if not, dont reprimand him . if you didnt catch him in the act stealing it he wont know why you are reprimanding him , they dont have memory like we do.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby msvette2u » July 24th, 2006, 11:52 am

There's a sticky on here about chocolate - if it is dark chocolate, which cookies are often made from, it is more toxic.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby rockermom » July 24th, 2006, 4:37 pm

Maryellen wrote:
Untill my son left his plate with steak on a low table. Whole piece of steak gone in a sec. Did not make a big deal it was kids fault for leaving it. Said bad boy and go lay down left it at that.

did you catch him in the act with stealing the steak? if not, dont reprimand him . if you didnt catch him in the act stealing it he wont know why you are reprimanding him , they dont have memory like we do.

He was cought in the act all right. Watched him grab it and try to swallow it like a seal would swallow a fish whole.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Maryellen » July 24th, 2006, 5:48 pm

oh ok.. mine are sneaky, they will wait until jamie turns away and then grab.. they wont do it to me, they got punished severly for doing it so know i wont put up with it...now jamie on the other hand is a real softie, so they take full advantage of that.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby rockermom » July 25th, 2006, 8:33 am

Maryellen wrote:oh ok.. mine are sneaky, they will wait until jamie turns away and then grab.. they wont do it to me, they got punished severly for doing it so know i wont put up with it...now jamie on the other hand is a real softie, so they take full advantage of that.
He did wait till no one was looking, he was sneaky all right. Came from a down. Did not even know he got up. I happened to turn my head and saw him doing it. I was stuck at the table with company and could not get up fast enough to punish. However I was wondering what to do in these kind of situations. How to punish? Whats effective. guess a new thread on everday life issues would be great. We learned this stuff in class but it was all reward. for the good. The stealing off the plate never happened so never knew how to handle.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » July 25th, 2006, 9:44 am

I'm glad he is doing better :)
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Return to Nutrition & Health