Trick training

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby rockermom » July 21st, 2006, 7:49 am

Our favorite trick which I tought Rocky is Stick em up which I have hand signals of like putting my hands up and one hand is like holding a gun up. He is on his bum with his front paws up in air. Then the gun points at him and we say bang bang. Rocky drops to the floor laying on his back with his paws in rigamortis pose. Im not sure I could tell you how to do it. Other than I basically show Rocky what I want give him treats and he does it after a few tries. When starting the trick I will sometimes click with a clicker when he does what I want. He picks things up fast. I do have video of it put I have not posted to internet. I have not even tried to do that yet. School me on how to post video please.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Magnolia618 » July 21st, 2006, 6:51 pm

Maggie knows sit, down, stay, shake, other paw, high-five, wave, guess which hand the treat is in (my favorite), roll over, crawl, and "bang-bang you're dead!" (She's pretty bad at that... she does it in slow motion) and she jumps back and fourth over my leg if I raise it up. lol
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » July 21st, 2006, 7:21 pm

Mike knows how to sit pretty, give high 5 (though usually it's a high 10), and stand up on his legs and walk backwards. Unfortunately I can't take credit for any of it, he came to me with all of that knowledge. I want to say he already knew how to sit pretty but Chris Fraize taught him to stand up and walk backwards . . . I can't remember right now (Chris, April, Megan, correct me if I'm wrong here). Either way they're some damn cool tricks. It makes him seem far less intimidating when he's being dopey.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Hoyden » July 21st, 2006, 8:15 pm

SisMorphine wrote:Mike knows how to sit pretty, give high 5 (though usually it's a high 10), and stand up on his legs and walk backwards. Unfortunately I can't take credit for any of it, he came to me with all of that knowledge. I want to say he already knew how to sit pretty but Chris Fraize taught him to stand up and walk backwards . . . I can't remember right now (Chris, April, Megan, correct me if I'm wrong here). Either way they're some damn cool tricks. It makes him seem far less intimidating when he's being dopey.

I was there when he had him walk backwards. He had him up on his hind legs, then did a little motion thingie with his pointer finger while walking towards Mike. I think he had a treat or something in his hand.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby SisMorphine » July 21st, 2006, 8:57 pm

Yeah, the dog does anything for a treat. He's a food whore. That's how I get him to do it, I'm just saying that I didn't teach it to him, I think Chris did (just wanted them to correct me on if he taught him or if the dog came to the shelter already knowing it).
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby rockermom » July 21st, 2006, 9:17 pm

thanks after reading this thread today I was inspired to teach some new tricks. So today Rocky learned spin and roll over. so now we have.
Shake or give me five.
Wave
High Five
roll over
spin
dance
crawl
weave through my legs
Ring the bell to go out or say OOOUUUUTTT
stick em up
Bang bang (play dead)
And working on putting a ring toy onto a soda bottle.
Working on saying I love you.
Have not got him to respond to plain speak.
Rocky will do anything for a treat. Any kind of treat.
Im running out of ideas so think I will buy a book.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » July 21st, 2006, 10:20 pm

Nisha doesn't do tricks....except jump 6 feet in the air!!!

Sacha shakes with both paws (high five and low five)...

She also does "bang, you're dead."

"Bow for the queen." (play bows on command)

"be a bear." (leans back on her back legs, front paws up, and barks)

"talk sh*t" (barks)

"get the lights" (this is by far the best. If you point to a light switch and say "get the lights" she turns them on if they're off and off if they're on.)
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Previous