Comical moments when training your dogs....

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Hoyden » July 18th, 2006, 11:18 pm

After the seminar with Chris Fraize this weekend, my husband finally agreed to start training Petey and crating him. (This has been an intense year long battle BTW)

So, Monday morning comes along and I put Petey out in the back yard. (We didn't hear the part about putting a leash on the dog the moment they come out of the crate - our bad.)

Time to come in, I tell him sit at the slider, open the door, walk through, then call him through, then tell him sit again at the door from the porch to the kitchen, open the door, walk through, then call him though again. He goes right to the couch, jumps up and lies down. BIG NO-NO!

I tell him OFF and he gives me that look. I tell him OFF again, grab his collar and pull him off the couch.

He looks RIGHT AT ME, goes over to my black mBT sandals that I had set out to put on (the ones that cost $230.00 per pair) and PEES ON THEM!!

I don't need to tell you how PO'ed I was at that moment. Knowing I had really screwed up, I just put Petey in his crate, cleaned the sandals and figured I'd call Chris later.

I have never wanted to make a hat and mittens out of a dog so badly as I did at that moment.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby SisMorphine » July 18th, 2006, 11:59 pm

I came home today wearing my brand new shoes. I said "I'm going to take these sneakers off before I go out in the kennel yard so I don't step in poop." So I'm up in my bedroom opening windows (it's finally bearable outside) and, lo and behold, I STEPPED IN POOP!

Wally had crapped in my room for the first time ever. Not diarrhea or anything. Just poop (and luckily he's on raw so there was little to no smell and it was dry).

He has lost all home alone privileges. Wally say hello to the crate again!

Talk about a problem with training . . .
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » July 19th, 2006, 6:47 pm

Hoyden wrote: (We didn't hear the part about putting a leash on the dog the moment they come out of the crate - our bad.)

Can you explain that part?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Hoyden » July 19th, 2006, 8:03 pm

mnp13 wrote:
Hoyden wrote: (We didn't hear the part about putting a leash on the dog the moment they come out of the crate - our bad.)

Can you explain that part?

Somehow we didn't get the part about hooking the dog up to the leash when we let him out of the crate. In hindsight, I realized that I knew that, I've seen Alyssa do it a hundred times, I just didn't apply it.

Mark didn't hear it or realize it. So, we screwed up.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby mnp13 » July 19th, 2006, 8:07 pm

Sorry, I stated the question poorly... why should he not just go out in the back yard?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Hoyden » July 19th, 2006, 8:45 pm

mnp13 wrote:Sorry, I stated the question poorly... why should he not just go out in the back yard?

Because Chris said so!

The dogs are not allowed any freedom what-so-ever to do what they want at this phase in training. They need to be on leash for everything except when we throw the ball for them.

Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby katiek0417 » July 20th, 2006, 9:28 pm

Hoyden wrote:
mnp13 wrote:Sorry, I stated the question poorly... why should he not just go out in the back yard?

Because Chris said so!

The dogs are not allowed any freedom what-so-ever to do what they want at this phase in training. They need to be on leash for everything except when we throw the ball for them.

Michelle,

Nisha is allowed NO freedom right now (even though she would probably be fine - as long as Sacha isn't out and eating plastic things). If she is out of her crate, she is on a leash...and usually tethered to me.

It keeps the dog from getting away with things....

Smiles
Katrina
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417