my baby keeps biting me....

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Maryellen » July 17th, 2006, 9:53 am

Excellent news!!! maybe when you work with him during the week on his obedience he will continue to get better... obedience works the mind too, so that is great news!!!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Sarahdee » July 17th, 2006, 4:34 pm

yes, I was very excited! I keep treats in all the rooms, so I can tell him to sit when he starts biting or attacking.
now how to get him to stop attacking the vaccum cleaner...haha :D
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » July 17th, 2006, 7:14 pm

does he have a buster cube? http://www.bustercube.com they are great for mental exercise too.. rufus has one and gets very possessive over it.. they work to get the food out...
Maryellen
I live here

Postby mnp13 » July 17th, 2006, 7:39 pm

The vet has stuff that is ten times worse than anything you can get at the store, I can't find my bottle so I can't tell you the name of it. It's expensive but works well.

And don't carry the bottle with you - you are creating fear of you shaking bottles, not respect.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » July 17th, 2006, 8:22 pm

Screw bitter apple. Vick's vapo-rub. It's perfection.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby rockermom » July 17th, 2006, 8:33 pm

Glad to hear it is getting better. Dont be surprised if he goes through the phase again. This happened with Rocky he was very mouthy at four monts when we got him then it virtually stopped. Then about 6 months or so he got very mouthy again. Not nipping hard just kind of a bossy testing thing I think. I am not a fan of holding the mout closed I just put my hand and touch the side of his mouth and say no mouth.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby mnp13 » July 17th, 2006, 8:48 pm

The other thing to try is sticking your hand as far into his mouth as you can. He'll spit your hand out.

You can also grab his tongue, grab his lower jaw and push down on his tongue with your thumb, or stick a finger down his throat.

Make it uncomfortable to bite you, and he'll change his mind about it.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 17th, 2006, 10:33 pm

Sarahdee wrote:now how to get him to stop attacking the vaccum cleaner...haha :D

I don't think there's a cure for that one, mine thinks its alive lol
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 17th, 2006, 10:36 pm

SisMorphine wrote:Screw bitter apple. Vick's vapo-rub. It's perfection.

Sis what do you do rub this on Wally's tongue? :hysterical: It's ok for them to taste some? :yum:
I'm not sure if I could do it as it might make ME gag.....
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » July 18th, 2006, 9:16 am

SpiritFngrz wrote:
SisMorphine wrote:Screw bitter apple. Vick's vapo-rub. It's perfection.

Sis what do you do rub this on Wally's tongue? :hysterical: It's ok for them to taste some? :yum:
I'm not sure if I could do it as it might make ME gag.....

Come on now. You know Wally's perfect and would never need to taste Vicks :)

We used it this winter. One of the kennel dogs was a mad mitten attacker. Put some Vicks on the mittens, the dog jumped to bite and then avoided me for the rest of the day. Any sort of minty taste is a good deterant.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Sarahdee » July 18th, 2006, 12:05 pm

well, he did good yesterday, but he is still being a little rascal and getting into everything that he can.
I just keep taking things away from him and telling him no.
he eventually quit biting on the carpets, but now he goes after my shoes, towels and clothes.
but I guess that is all part of him being a pup.
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby rockermom » July 19th, 2006, 7:53 am

YUP a pup!
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Sarahdee » July 19th, 2006, 9:11 am

last night he was going crazy again. We were outside and it was dark, but he was freaking out over his shadow, so when I went over to settle him down he was attacking me. His tail was wagging, but he was pouncing on my feet and biting my legs.
I hope he stops this soon. :(
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » July 19th, 2006, 9:17 am

do you run or jog? maybe he is a hyper pup, and needs to have more exercise to stimulate him and tire him out..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Sarahdee » July 19th, 2006, 9:27 am

yes, he definitely gets tons of exercise. I usually don't run with him, we walk for about an hour. Its really hot out here, and I don't want to keep him outside long in the heat. So we've been taking shorter walks the past couple days. I think I'm going to wait till the sun goes down to walk him tonight.

This was at 10:30 at night. I usually let him out before we go to bed.
He just started going nuts!
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » July 19th, 2006, 10:02 am

maybe give him more exercise somehow and work with him on his obedience skills might help....
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Sarahdee » July 19th, 2006, 10:48 am

yes, I have been working with him on his obedience, but it seems when he's freaking out, he doesn't even pay attention to what I'm saying.
Its hard to settle him down.
I try to keep him in a routine, eat, go out in the yard, walk, sit out on the front porch. go in for a while, then back out to the yard.
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » July 19th, 2006, 1:30 pm

Sarahdee wrote:yes, I have been working with him on his obedience, but it seems when he's freaking out, he doesn't even pay attention to what I'm saying.

I'd either down him and stand on the leash to keep him down, or use your leash to pick him up and put him in a sit.

It sound to me like he's "acting out"
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Sarahdee » July 20th, 2006, 1:54 pm

yesterday, I started by taking him out in the yard. Then he ate and then we went for an hour long walk. Came home and went back to the yard.
he seemed tired so we went in and he layed around for about 20 minutes and then went crazy.
The obedience trainer said to keep him on a house leash, so I am doing that, but he is trying to bite through the leash.
I tried putting the bitter apple on the leash, he could care less.
And he doesn't care when I tell him no.
I don't know what else to do. I guess just keep trying. :(
Sarahdee
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » July 20th, 2006, 2:32 pm

What do you mean by he "went crazy"?

is he crate trained?
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to Training & Behavior