Hi from San Francisco - and a load of pics

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby DogNerd » July 16th, 2006, 8:21 pm

Hi, My name is Melinda and I live with my three dogs (15 year old standard poodle, 6 year old mutt of all mutts, and almost 3 year old Pit mix) in SF. I'm a dog training junkie and currently working on competetive obedience with my pit mix, Abner. I work with an SF all-breed rescue group (Grateful Dogs Rescue) and oversee all the pit bull pulls and adoptions. For a change of pace I am currently fostering a whip-smart border collie mix, but have 4 pitties out in foster homes (they rotate through my place for training etc...)

Originally from Syracuse, NY, I am really bummed that I can't make it back for the bull-ympics!

I think that's enough, right?

My crew:
Samson, the old dude, schooling my last foster:

Turtle Jayne Louise, my soul mutt

Li'l Abner CGC, my baby boy

Crazy Keeley, foster girl

and the availa-bulls
Lola Lou

Pumpkin

Louis

Isis (not quite available yet)
DogNerd

Postby Maryellen » July 16th, 2006, 8:29 pm

Welcome! your dogs are beautiful, and little Iris i just LOVE her ears!! what got you into the breed? how long have you been involved in rescue??
Maryellen
I live here

Postby DogNerd » July 16th, 2006, 8:44 pm

what got you into the breed? how long have you been involved in rescue??

Well....... I got into the breed about 8 or so years ago when I moved to SF with the poodle. He hadn't really been socialized with other dogs so he was a bit awkward socially to say the least. When we would go to parks etc.., the only dogs he tended to be able to get along with and not offend were pit bulls. He loved them and so I found myself seeking out pit bull owners so that Sam could have play friends. Also, Sam had some dog aggression so I guess I sort of connected with pit bull owners in that way. I started working in rescue (with Grateful Dogs) and fostering dogs about a year after that and eventually fostered a pit/lab. I also had a dog walking business and had a pit bull client that ended up inspiring me to become more educated about the breed because of his dog aggression. Later, I fostered a couple of dogs for badrap and then ended up keeping one (my Abner.) I've always stayed connected with Grateful Dogs and tended to be the one handling their pit bull adoptions but I've recently become much more heavily involved because ours is the only rescue group pulling pit bulls out of our local shelter. I work really hard to do quality rescue - the dogs are all in good foster homes, they all attend training classes and get socialized with lots of people and animals, I carefully screen adopters and take my time finding perfect homes. I love pit bulls, love training and love rescue but absolutely hate politics.
DogNerd

Postby Jenn » July 16th, 2006, 8:51 pm

Hello and welcome! Isis looks like such a cutie!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Maryellen » July 16th, 2006, 8:54 pm

Maryellen
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 16th, 2006, 8:58 pm

Welcome to the group! :wave: All your pups are great, but Isis does have the best ears!
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby SpiritFngrz » July 16th, 2006, 9:35 pm

Welcome! :greenWave:
Love the pics of your pups! I love San Francisco. There is another board member I believe, from S.F.
:)
SpiritFngrz
I live here

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » July 16th, 2006, 9:55 pm

Welcome! :greenWave: I grew up in Novato, and will be visiting my sister in SF next weekend! I'm excited to go back! :)

What a beautiful mix of pups you've got, I look forward to seeing more pics! :D
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby DogNerd » July 17th, 2006, 1:33 am

thanks for the welcome. Where in CO are you Sheaple? I went to school in Boulder and loved it so much.
DogNerd

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » July 17th, 2006, 1:07 pm

I actually live right outside of Boulder, in Erie. I love this area! My sister went to Boulder too, I was a rival at CSU. :twisted:
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby greenkozi » July 17th, 2006, 2:03 pm

howdy, partner. :greenWave:
greenkozi
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » July 18th, 2006, 8:44 am

Welcome! Your dogs, and your fosters, are adorable :)
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby msvette2u » July 18th, 2006, 10:59 am

Welcome to the list! Love the pics, thanks for sharing!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Asta » July 19th, 2006, 4:10 pm

Hello and welcome :wave: What a great info, thanks for what youre doing for these dogs! And i must say that Lola Lou and Louis are just too cute for words :)

Cheers,

Ã…sa

Ps I am in Napa valley and Calistoga for another week right now!
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Return to Introductions