Domino - UPDATED W/PICS

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 13th, 2006, 10:42 pm

I spent a day with this girl and she was just super sweet - if anybody could save her life that would be wonderful...my rescue is willing to transport.

PLEASE HELP THIS DOG BEFORE SATURDAY. Domino is housebroken, crate trained, adores people, good with kids, good with dogs, up to date on shots, spayed, very affectionate. This poor girl has become a victim of rescue politics and will be transferred to a humane society on Saturday morning to be euthanized immediately. If you can help, please contact me immediately. You can reach me at (216) 214-1149. PLEASE HELP!!!!

PLEASE CROSSPOST!

Last edited by pitbullmamaliz on July 14th, 2006, 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby anissa » July 13th, 2006, 11:35 pm

Were you able to get any pictures of her? Any background information on her? How old? Good with all dogs or is she picky? Whats the situation she's in?

I mentioned we're looking to adopt a girl. Ideally, we'de like to have Charlie meet the dog before we adopt, but I know Saturday is coming up quickly. how far are they willing to transport?

Oh boy.. I better talk this over with the family.
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 14th, 2006, 8:09 am

Anissa, I obviously tracked down some pics. As you can see she's just gorgeous! She's about 30-35 lbs, and I BELIEVE between 1 and 2 years old. If you call that phone # listed, and ask for Shana, she'll have the most info (it's her cell and it'll be on after 11). Her situation is she was being fostered by another local rescue (living with a couple dogs, just an FYI), the foster decided that they didn't want to foster anymore, so the rescue took her back and is taking her straight to the shelter to get PTS. They're not going to bother trying to find another foster/home. I'm extremely irked. That's why my rescue is stepping in. Where do you live? Not sure about the transport, but honestly, I'm sure we'd try to get her damn near anywhere. We all have a soft spot for her. So call Shana after 11 this morning (or earlier and leave a message) and let her know that Liz sent you.
Oh I hope you end up taking this girl! You wouldn't regret it!!!
pitbullmamaliz

Postby anissa » July 14th, 2006, 2:06 pm

Thanks for the information Liz. Ive called and talked to Shana and got alot of the extra information we were looking for. Our family has talked it over.. and we've decided that we're going to take her. Im waiting on a call back from Shana, and we'll go from there.

She is a gorgeous girl! Its really unfortunate that she was caught up in this mess, but we just have to all work together to do everything we can. We're located at Fort Drum, NY. Just outside of Watertown (Upstate). Ive briefly discussed transportation with Shana, and she mentioned that if we cant arrange something, she'll bring her, herself. Unfortunately.. we cant make the trip to pick her up.. my husband is back at work on Monday and will be really busy preparing for their deployment. But we'll work something out.

Our intention is to give her a forever home here with us. Unfortunately we cant have the dogs meet beforehand, so we're unsure of how they'll get along. Shana has told me that Domino is very playful and sometimes vocal (no problem) and that she is currently living with a couple of very dominant dogs. This is a good sign, since Charlie is usually pretty easy going, and we're hoping for the best between the two. If things dont work out, Ive told Shana that we are willing to keep her as a Foster and crate/rotate and do whatever is neccesary, until we can place her in a good home. I really dont even want to imagine that outcome.. but if it comes to it.. I trust we can do the best for her.

I expect that Shana will be in contact with you once we get a chance to talk more this afternoon. I really want to thank you for agreeing to take her until we can arrange her transport.
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 14th, 2006, 3:22 pm

Oh Anissa I actually just got tears in my eyes from joy! Thank you so much for helping this beautiful girl out!!! I am more than happy to donate my home to her until transport can be arranged. All I ask is lots of pics and updates!!! Oh seriously you have no idea how happy and grateful you just made me. Thank you.
:bigCry:
pitbullmamaliz

Postby anissa » July 14th, 2006, 3:56 pm

My husband and I have been bouncing off the walls in excitement!! :groupjump:

We cant wait for her to get here.

You bet I'll keep you updated with tons of pictures and updates! Maybe you could take some when she gets to your place too?
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Maryellen » July 14th, 2006, 4:28 pm

OMG i am soo happy to read this!!! anissa when charlie and her meet do it away from your house in the street down the road, like a park, neutral settings work best... walk them around you and shana for at least an hour.. do things slow, and it should all be fine..

awesome!!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » July 14th, 2006, 4:42 pm

She is SUCH a little cutie pants!!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 14th, 2006, 4:50 pm

I should be snagging her this evening, so I will definitely take some pics for you!
pitbullmamaliz

Postby anissa » July 14th, 2006, 6:19 pm

Liz.. if you wouldnt mind collecting some more info, Id like to have some things ready for when she arrives.

What kind of Food is she on?
(And I forgot to ask Shana if she has shown signs of FA)
Favorite Toys?

Is she coming with anything, or will I need to pick up some basics like a collar and leash etc?

Anyone else have ideas on what I should pick up before she gets here?

I guess it might be easier once we know what (if anything) she's coming with.
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby anissa » July 14th, 2006, 6:44 pm

Im sorry for posting 32857874857 times today, but Im just soooo fricken excited! The only talk in our house all day has been of Domino. Its like preparing for a new baby. Jake's even sat down and had the 'father son' talk with Charlie. My daughter was supposed to be out of town at a friends place until Sunday, but she's asked Jake to pick her up tonight so she can get ready for Domino too!

Maryellen wrote:are you going to change her name or keep Domino?

Actually I was JUST going to ask whether or not it was a good idea to change her name, being unsure of how long she's had it, if she responds to it, how hard it is to have her catch on to a new name etc.

We would like to change it, if there arent any problems. We've decided on either Jada or Mya. (leaning more towards Jada)
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 14th, 2006, 8:03 pm

Okay, Domino's been here about a half hour now. They didn't bring a crate or food, so who knows what they've been feeding her. :| She has a collar and leash but the leash is halfway chewed through so you'll definitely need a new leash. Don't know about favorite toys - I put all of Inara's up so it would be one less thing to bicker over. They're playing together, a little rough, but overall I'm fairly pleased. You are going to love this dog - she LIVES to please and be around people. She knows "sit" like a champ, I haven't tried "down" yet. I measured her neck, and for a small little girl she's got a big neck - about 16 1/2 inches, to fit snugly with 2 fingers underneath. When I first introduced them, there was a lot of snarling and growling from Domino, but not in a manner that overly worried me. I would simply say her name fairly sharply and she stopped. I think a lot of it consists of the fact that Inara is soooo overwhelmingly pushy when it comes to playing. But they are wrestling and chewing on each other right now, doing well. I got some pics and I'll post them a little later.
She is a jumper - jumps to say hello to people, jumps on furniture, and jumps over baby gates (wasn't real thrilled about that one!).
I'll keep you updated! :)
pitbullmamaliz

Postby anissa » July 14th, 2006, 8:14 pm

Thanks for the info.

Im not so worried about her jumping baby gates, we dont use them.. but if she can make it over 5-6 foot fences, we will work something out. Jumping on people might be a problem once I have my surgery but we'll work on that (have a few months before I go in), and definately on the jumping onto furniture bit. Nothing that we cant fix. We've gone through the furniture thing with Charlie, and Jake has taught him that he is the only one that can be jumped on, and only by command. No worries at all.

I mentioned to Shana, and like Maryellen suggested.. once Jake meets Shana and Domino at the Base gates (they will need clearance) I'll meet them at the park first and we'll do some walking, then sniffing, then see how they are. Im sure it'll be just fine!

Ahhhh chewed through leash. We're working on that with Charlie too (which is why we havent gotten him a leather leash yet) so it seems like we'll just have to work on it with both of them. I cant wait to see what she can do.. and what we can teach her.

Anyways.. Im going doggy shopping now!! Give her hugs and kisses for us!
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Maryellen » July 14th, 2006, 9:22 pm

you can change her name, she will probably take a few days or a week to get used to it.. have a large crate ready for her, and a strong collar and a good strong leash too. put her on whatever food charlie is on, she will have the runs for maybe a day or two but that should be it..

do slow introductions, and do a crate/rotate for now for a few weeks this way they get used to each other.. remove all toys/bones, food from the floor, so they dont fight over it.. feed each one separately, maybe feed domino in her crate for now.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 14th, 2006, 9:34 pm

Okay, here's some pics - I'm sorry Inara's in all of them but they just kept playing!

Also, just a couple FYI's - Shana is coming down to my house tonight with a crate and food, and I'm like 99.9% sure the crate will go with Domino when you get her. Also, Shana said Domino can climb 8 foot fences - so a cable/chain tie-out will be necessary!

I'll take more pics as long as she's here!
pitbullmamaliz

Postby anissa » July 14th, 2006, 10:15 pm

She's adorable!! And so small! She looks closer to 1 year old than 2 years.

I am so excited, I cant wait for her to get here!

A crate would be excellent, and a tieout is no problem. That tiny thing can already jump 8 feet? Wow! She really is a jumper!

Looks like she has a few scars. Is there a story behind them? or am I imagining things?
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 15th, 2006, 2:31 am

Okay, Shana just came over and spent a couple hours here chatting. I was wrong and I apologize, but the crate does NOT go with Domino - Shana pointed out the fact that the rescue can't afford to buy new crates for every dog. Sorry about that.
The scars are from Domino being attacked by a dog - not sure when, not sure what happened. She didn't start it.
And she can't jump 8 ft - she can scale chain link fences at least 8 ft high. Still extremely impressive for such a petite little thing!
She and Inara have finally settled down and are just lying nicely on the floor. Oh Anissa, you're just gonna love her!!!
pitbullmamaliz

Postby Maryellen » July 15th, 2006, 9:37 am

she is sooo beautiful!!
Maryellen
I live here

Postby anissa » July 15th, 2006, 12:08 pm

The crate isnt a problem, no need to appologize Liz :P
I was actually thinking about that after my reply, that it was most likely a crate being borrowed from the rescue for the weekend.

Haha, my husband also pointed out after my reply, that your post said she could climb 8 foot fences, not jump them. duh! I was thinking.. 'damn she must be super dog!' lol

You know.. she reminds me alot of Brock. Almost the exact same markings, white feet, white tipped tail, white chest. Just another of the 5387587 reasons Im already inlove with her. Im sure a few of my neighbors will mistake her for him.

I was going to order those collars, but they only sell them in 20"-26" lengths. I know you generally measure a dogs neck and add 4 inches for a collar right? So would she fit in a 20" collar? Would it be easier if you measured her current collar?
anissa
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » July 15th, 2006, 12:58 pm

I can do so if you'd like but her current collar barely fits her. Send a PM to Hoyden - since she makes collars she'll be able to answer your question about adding four inches. I don't know what this other damned rescue is doing, but her collar was way too tight when she showed up, I had to loosen it to the last hole and it still is JUUUUUUST right, her collar is halfway chewed through, she's acting like she's never seen toys before. I don't know, I just hate to know what she's gone through. Did Shana tell you she's been in 9 different foster homes in less than 6 months? It's sad. My hubby's gonna have a tough time giving her up - he's totally fallen for her! I love her but I won't have a tough time giving her up for 2 reasons: 1. She's going to you and I know you'll keep me updated and 2. She keeps going after my cats. She's extremely cat-aggressive (cat-reactive?). Either way, as soon as she catches sight she is focused - she has jumped over the baby gate once and gone through it once. So keep that in mind on walks. I gave the girls a couple Kongs - just the plain red ones in the original cone shape. Domino LOVES it - she will just sit and chew on it for 45 minutes straight, so that would definitely be a worthwhile purchase for you. If Inara comes over while she's chewing she'll growl a bit and move, but she hasn't been nasty at all. I think she's just not accustomed to having toys to play with. She has chewed up my slippers, so watch out for shoes on the ground! :wink: I know this is all just very random stuff, but I know you wanted to know as much about her as possible! I'll post some more pics soon!
pitbullmamaliz

Next

Return to Rescue