Man bites police dog

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby Malli » July 13th, 2006, 2:52 pm

I thought this was probably the best place for this.

This happened in my city, about a 10 minute drive from my house....

A Victoria man faces a variety of charges following a weekend confrontation with a police dog that saw him allegedly bite, punch and choke the animal in an effort to get away.

Police in B.C.'s capital city say the incident began when the suspect refused to pull over during a routine vehicle stop on Gorge Road early Sunday morning.

Acting Victoria police Chief Bill Naughton says the man rammed the police truck with his car and then tried to run away.

Naughton says Pago, the police dog, gave chase and caught the man, who fought back, punching the dog in the head, then trying to choke it and then biting it.

The suspect's name has not been released.

Naughton says the three-year-old German shepherd suffered minor injuries, as did the suspect.

The man will appear in court on Tuesday to face a variety of charges, including dangerous driving, assaulting a police officer and possession of narcotics.

However, he was not charged for his fight with Pago.

Victoria police spokesman Const. Rick Anthony says they have considered charging people who attack police dogs in the past, but have held off because the dogs are not considered "sworn officers" under the law.

He said the national association representing police dog handlers has been lobbying for a change in the legislation, on the grounds that the animals are highly trained and extremely valuable members of police departments

Pago with his police handler.

My boyfriend originally told me about this story, and although I couldn't find any more accounts, he told me that Pago returned to duty only 2 days after this incident, wich was this last weekend.
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby cheekymunkee » July 13th, 2006, 2:56 pm

However, he was not charged for his fight with Pago.

Wow! he would be here, he would be charged with at LEAST assaulting an officer. A few years ago a drunk here in Dallas slapped a police horse. I don't remember what all they charged him with but he was in deep crap.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby DemoDick » July 13th, 2006, 8:38 pm

Naughton says the three-year-old German shepherd suffered minor injuries, as did the suspect.

Dog needs grip work.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Malli » July 14th, 2006, 12:04 pm

I found the other article, it seems more informed.

It said the man beat on the dog so hard he ripped his collar off.

It also said that he "tried" to bite Pago, so I'm thinking he was so successful.

Apparently the man's hands and arms were quite badly chewed up, and the dog was covered with so much of the man's blood that his handler had to "give him a hose down" to clean him up. (ew, people blood can have some BAD stuff in it!!)

and it confirmed that Pago was back on the job only two days later.

Its interesting that you mention that cheeky. I know that its the same penalty as killing a police officer as it is to kill a police dog here, not sure why its not equal in other offences.

Demodick :
I was under the impression that police protection work was a little less picky then those that compete in protection sports tend to be; i.e. any bite is encouraged vs. in dogsport the dog is encouraged to bite once, mouth wide open, and hold (I think?). Enlighten me?

Malli
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby DemoDick » July 14th, 2006, 1:47 pm

Demodick :
I was under the impression that police protection work was a little less picky then those that compete in protection sports tend to be; i.e. any bite is encouraged vs. in dogsport the dog is encouraged to bite once, mouth wide open, and hold (I think?). Enlighten me?

I was joking (sort of). A dog bite is pretty serious if the dog has any committment to it. The line about the man having "minor injuries" made me question the dog's abilities.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Malli » July 14th, 2006, 9:03 pm

that shoud have read "so I'm thinking he was not sucessful"
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Malli » July 14th, 2006, 9:05 pm

gotcha... I guess it all depends on what you consider minor injuries :|
Malli
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Sports