Natural Solutions?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Jesseca » January 24th, 2006, 2:05 pm

I was reading on another thread to use 5 to 1 vinager to clean the dogs skin of infection. Can you use that to clean out their ears? My dog constantly has ear infections. I take him to the vet, they put him on antibiotics, it goes away, within 2 weeks it's back. I'm trying to find more natural ways to treat all his issues. He has a low immune system, allergies, he had TPLO surgery 2 years ago, that now he has pain issues with because it caused arthritis in his hip. The poor guy is miserable and I'm looking for any new ideas to help him. Thanks
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby Maryellen » January 24th, 2006, 2:27 pm

ear infections is a food allergy.. what are you feeding him?? he could be allergic to corn,wheat,rice, soy or chicken and turkey... i ran into this with my gsd.. she is allergic to all the above plus grass, cats and oak trees.. the apple cidar vinegar is to be used 5-1 however, with an ear infection that is yeasty it wont work that great.. get allergy testing done on your dog with a blood sample, and start reading the ingredients in the food you feed him.. if the first 10 ingredients include corn,wheat rice or soy and one meat product its probably not a great food... any food bought at the grocery store is crap..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Jesseca » January 24th, 2006, 2:59 pm

Oh yes, we did the allergy testing last summer. He is allergic to grass, wheat, corn, dust, cottonwood trees, and I think there is something else but I can't remember off the top of my head. We have had him on every food under the sun, it seems. Nothing from the grocery store, I wouldn't even feed that to a dog I didn't like :wink:
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » January 24th, 2006, 3:24 pm

have you tried Evo?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Maryellen » January 24th, 2006, 3:31 pm

what foods did you try that didnt have any of those ingredients in it??

there is also http://www.timberwolforganics.com its not organic, but it has 4 flavors that have no grains except millet in it..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Jesseca » January 30th, 2006, 1:45 pm

He wouldn't eat Evo. He's been on Natural Balance, Science Diet (I know but I tried for my vet's sake :wink: ) Wellness, (hated that one) Right now he is on California Natural. He likes it, but I'm not sure if it's helping or not. He just seems miserable.
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby Maryellen » January 30th, 2006, 1:56 pm

read the ingredients in the bag.. it probably has corn,rice, wheat and soy... i started eliminating the grains from my dogs diet and she got better.. however, she has airborne allergies so i am constantly battling her ear ..... but by cutting out the grains totally i got it under control... i feed http://www.timberwolforganics.com but you can also feed natures variety venison as that doesnt have grains in it i think..

if you start eliminating stuff you will see a change.. i also dont feed dog biscuits as they are crappy ingredients too.. i give peanut butter, cheese, liver treats
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Jesseca » January 30th, 2006, 2:20 pm

Rice is the only grain in it. I'm not sure if soy is in it or not, I'll check when I get home. He doesn't get treats, so that's not an issue. I'll look into timberwolf.
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby Maryellen » January 30th, 2006, 2:59 pm

some dogs cant handle the california natural since its so rich, and some dogs cant handle chicken, lamb, or turkey sometimes.. my gsd cant have grains, turkey,or chicken, so i give her bison, elk, salmon.. try the natures variety venison that is a good one too..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Jesseca » January 30th, 2006, 3:26 pm

I'll look into that too. Which Timberwolf do you feed? Doesn't Jesse have allergies too? I was checking through all of them and wasn't sure which on to try.
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby Maryellen » January 30th, 2006, 3:34 pm

jesse is allergic to corn,wheat,rice,soy, cats, grass, oak trees, chicken and turkey. :x

i feed her the Timberwolf Ocean blue, the bison, elk blends.. Sometimes she gets the venison, but rarely cause it has grains in it, same with the southwest chicken and herbs..

buy a small bag of TW first, they come in 3lb bags.. this way you can see if it works, and then go for a bigger bag..i would hate to see you waste your money on a large bag and find out it isnt going to work
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Jesseca » January 30th, 2006, 3:38 pm

Good idea. Maybe I'll swing into the petfood store I go to and pick some up.
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby Maryellen » January 30th, 2006, 3:40 pm

yes, you can use apple cidar and water to clean the ears, but if its a yeasty ear infection the cidar wont help... you should get him on Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil, and Organic KElp ..i have posted their info here in the nutrition section too..

here are the ingredients to the TW i use:

Dakota Bison:
Fresh Bison Meat, Salmon Meal, Millet, Sweet Potatoes, Oats, Flaxseed, Carrot, Watercress, Spinach, Celery, Parsley, Fennel Seed, Wild Salmon Oil, Atlantic Kelp, Alfalfa, Potassium Chloride, Amaranth, Currants, Cranberries, Pears, Figs, Thyme, Anise Seed, Ground Cinnamon Bark, Fenugreek, Garlic Pieces, Sunflower Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Apples, Chicory Root, Spirulina, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Probiotics: (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Lactis, Bacillus Bifidum, Streptococcus Diacetilactis, Bacillus Subtillus), Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a source of vitamin E), Lysine, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine, Methionine, Carnitine, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Iodine Proteinate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine (a source of vitamin B6), Cobalt Proteinate, Papain, Yucca Schidigera Extract.

Wilderness Elk:
Fresh Elk, Salmon Meal, Millet, Sweet Potatoes, Oats, Flaxseed, Carrot, Watercress, Spinach, Celery, Parsley, Fennel Seed, Wild Salmon Oil, Atlantic Kelp, Alfalfa, Potassium Chloride, Amaranth, Currants, Cranberries, Pears, Figs, Thyme, Anise Seed, Ground Cinnamon Bark, Fenugreek, Garlic Pieces, Sunflower Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Apples, Chicory Root, Spirulina, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Probiotics: (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Lactis, Bacillus Bifidum, Streptococcus Diacetilactis, Bacillus Subtillus), Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a source of vitamin E), Lysine, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine, Methionine, Carnitine, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Iodine Proteinate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine (a source of vitamin B6), Cobalt Proteinate, Papain, Yucca Schidigera Extract.

Ocean Blue:
Low Ash White Fish Meal, Salmon, Potatoes, Sardine/Mackerel/Anchovy/Tuna Oils, Kelp, Alfalfa Leaf, Potassium Chloride, Amaranth, Carrot, Watercress, Spinach, Celery, Parsley, Fennel Seed, Blueberries, Cranberries, Pears, Figs, Thyme, Anise Seed, Ground Cinnamon Bark, Fenugreek, Garlic Pieces, Sunflower Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Apples, Taurine, Spirulina, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Probiotics: (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Lactis, Bacillus Bifidum, Streptococcus Diacetilactis, Bacillus Subtillus), Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a source of vitamin E), Lysine, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine, Methionine, Carnitine, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Iodine Proteinate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine (a source of vitamin B6), Copper Proteinate, Selenium Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Papain, Yucca Schidigera Extract.

Black Forest Venison:
Venison, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Lamb, Whole Ground Millet, Lamb Meal, Venison Meal, Whole Ground Barley, Low Ash Salmon Meal, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Carrot, Watercress, Spinach, Celery, Parsley, Fennel Seed, Wild Salmon Oil, Unrefined Walnut Oil, Atlantic Kelp, Alfalfa Leaf, Amaranth, Blueberries, Glucosomine, Potassium Chloride, Cranberries, Pears, Figs, Thyme, Anise Seed, Ground Cinnamon Bark, Fenugreek, Garlic Pieces, Sunflower Seeds, Apples, Chicory Root, Spirulina, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Probiotics: (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Lactis, Bacillus Bifidum, Streptococcus Diacetilactis, Bacillus Subtillus), Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a source of vitamin E), Lysine, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine, Methionine, Carnitine, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Iodine Proteinate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine (a source of vitamin B6), Copper Proteinate, Selenium Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Papain, Yucca Schidigera Extract.

Nutrient Dense Lamb:
Lamb, Salmon Meal, Lamb Meal, Salmon, Whole Ground Oats, Whole Ground Barley, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract), Whole Ground Flaxseed, Unrefined Walnut Oil, Watercress, Spinach, Celery, Parsley, Fennel Seed, Dried Goat’s Milk, Atlantic Kelp, Alfalfa Leaf, Wild Salmon Oil, Cottage Cheese, Potassium Chloride, Rosemary, Amaranth, Apples, Cinnamon, Thyme, Dried Carrots, Anise Seed, Ginger Root, Basil, Dried Mint, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Probiotics: (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Lactis, Bacillus Bifidum, Streptococcus Diacetilactis, Bacillus Subtillus), Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a source of vitamin E), Lysine, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine, Methionine, Carnitine, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Iodine Proteinate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine (a source of vitamin B6), Copper Proteinate, Selenium Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Papain, Yucca Schidigera Extract.

Southwest Chicken and HErbs:

Chicken Meal, Chicken, Turkey Meal, Whole Ground Oats, Chicken Fat (preserved with natural mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract), Brown Rice, Ground Barley, Low Ash White Fish Meal, Ground Whole Flaxseed, Unrefined Roasted Walnut Oil, Atlantic Kelp, Alfalfa Leaf, Sun Dried Tomatoes, Carrot, Watercress, Spinach, Celery, Parsley, Fennel Seed, Wild Salmon Oil, Dried Cottage Cheese, Casein, Dried Chicken Liver, Potassium Chloride, Amaranth, Tumeric, Anise Seed, Cumin Ground Ginger, Organic Blue Corn, Dried Cranberries, Rosemary, Coriander, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Probiotics: (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Lactis, Bacillus Bifidum, Streptococcus Diacetilactis, Bacillus Subtillus), Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a source of vitamin E), Lysine, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine, Methionine, Carnitine, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Iodine Proteinate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine (a source of vitamin B6), Copper Proteinate, Selenium Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Papain, Yucca Schidigera Extract.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Jesseca » January 30th, 2006, 3:44 pm

Thanks for you help Maryellen, I really appreciate it. :)
Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby Maryellen » January 30th, 2006, 3:58 pm

no problem:) ask away.. if i can help i will..
Maryellen
I live here

Postby panda » January 30th, 2006, 4:55 pm

We feed Solid Gold Wolfking Bison, it may work for you. Panda has allergies and Hooch eats anything. It does have brown rice though. You can buy it at feed stores, or in Washington at

DISTRIBUTOR: Solid Gold Northwest
6000 NE 88th St Ste B101
Vancouver, WA,
888-746-6784 WA, OR, ID
Solid Gold WolfKing Bison Dry Dog Food

Solid Gold WolfKing is a dry food formula for large breed dogs made with bison, salmon meal, brown rice, millet, and barley. Includes flaxseed oil, garlic, amaranth, blueberries, and host of other nutrients for a complete, balanced diet.

About Solid Gold Pet Food:

Solid Gold specializes in the development of "non-allergenic" products, which work together to enhance total health, boost up the immune system and protect against disease. They always use wholesome USDA Choice lamb and beef meal, USDA grade I and II grains, and healthful monounsaturated and polyunsaturated oils.

Solid Gold never uses chemical preservatives such as BHA, BHT and Ethoxyquin, which may be related to some diseases in pets. They never use wheat, corn or soy, which are often genetically modified and common allergens for dogs, causing them to have uncomfortable skin disorders, chew incessantly at their feet or suffer from chronic problems such as ear infections. They never add animal or poultry fat to our products, as these are saturated fats that may contribute to heart disease and certain types of cancer.

Solid Gold is also an industry leader in the use of revolutionary foil "barrier" packaging for all their dry food products, which means they don't have to use chemical preservatives or flavor enhancers. Barrier packaging keeps food fresher for longer, maintains palatability and helps to sustain the potency of valuable vitamins and other nutrients, which may deplete over time with conventional paper bags.

Protein, Min 22%
Fat, Min 9%
Fiber, Max 4%
Moisture, Max 10%
Calories per cup, 364

Ingredients
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bison | Salmon Meal | Brown Rice | Millet | Cracked Pearled Barley | Oatmeal | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Flaxseed Oil | Garlic | Amaranth | Blueberries | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Taurine | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Selenomethionine | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid
Dead Dog Walking Pit Bull Rescue
http://deaddogwalkingpitbullrescue.org/
panda
Loyally Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health