Small sores?

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Jenn » July 13th, 2006, 12:45 pm

I don't understand what's wrong with poor little Tucker. :( Recently he's been smelling pretty bad. He doesn't get bathed often, eats DVP Natural Balance, and is on Frontline Plus. Last time I took him to get groomed he had some spots on him, I thought they may have nicked him or something. Since then when I brush him, I would notice some "scabbing flakes", so I looked him over. I just figured he had some playing too rough remains. I gave him a bath last night with some oatmeal shampoo, and brushed him. While I was brushing him I noticed the little sores again? They are small sores on his skin, and he keeps itching like a mad man. He's not losing any hair, sick, or anything else. Just itching, and stinky.. There were no fleas in the tub, or on him. Any ideas what this could be? I was unable to make an appointment for him at the vet's until Tuesday. His itching is driving me insane, and I'm sure him as well.
Jenn
undecided

Postby babyreba » July 13th, 2006, 1:07 pm

eek, sounds a bit like it could be sarcoptic mange mites (dog scabies).

EBBRR took in a dog a few months ago that i picked up at the shelter with a similar sounding condition, and a subsequent skin scrape confirmed scabies.

i feel itchy just thinking about it!
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » July 13th, 2006, 1:12 pm

Well that doesn't sound good at all, I really thought maybe he was just reacting to something.. Yet nothing has changed. I've been sick myself, and missed a lot of work, so I thought next week would be no big deal. I guess I'm going to call them back and tell them that tomorrow is a must. That sounds disgusting, and I don't want him to be miserable either. :(
Jenn
undecided

Postby Jenn » July 13th, 2006, 1:38 pm

Eh, that's definitely not it. I'm going to call them and try to get him in a little sooner anyway. I looked it up though, and he's not experiencing any hair loss at all, nor has it affected any of the areas mentioned or any other symptons other than itching. It's been almost a month or more since his last hair cut, and I'm sure he would have lost some hair by now? You don't even know they are there unless you search through all his hair and find them. :| Maybe it's just an allergy? I just can't understand why he smells like he does, blah.
Jenn
undecided

Postby Marinepits » July 13th, 2006, 3:43 pm

Usually if they're stinky they have some kind of bacterial skin infection -- most are easily treated with a round of antibiotics.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby mnp13 » July 13th, 2006, 3:57 pm

scarpoic mange is highly contageous... so I'd be careful if there is any chance of that.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby rockermom » July 13th, 2006, 4:26 pm

Rocky stinks too but that is cause he keeps rolling in some disgusting stink in the grass.I think its gopher crap or something. I keep wiping him down with baby wipes. He has some red spots too on his belly, but they are mosquito bites. I hope everything turns out ok with your dog.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » July 13th, 2006, 5:22 pm

Thanks guys. It almost looks like someone took a tiny match or something and just burnt him in a few places. They aren't oozing, or open just scabbed over, perfect little round sores. I've only seen 3 that I could find. One on his belly, and one of each of his front legs (at the top). Something definitely isn't right. He wasn't smelling so foul though until last week sometime. I'm going to take him in tomorrow.

Edit - There was the one on his back, and his neck too. Those were the first ones I seen, when I thought the groomer had nicked him or something. :| Those are gone.
Jenn
undecided

Postby rockermom » July 14th, 2006, 11:08 am

Darn it. Just came back from a walk with Rocky on the way back my son goes to pet him and says what are all those bumps on Rocky. On One of his dark haired patches on his side is a ton of raised blotches of hair. It looks like a rash of some sort. Called vet he is on vacation so taking him to someplace later today. Wondering if it is some kind of heat rash or something since it is so friggen hot I was not sure we would ever get home. He is even kind of red and rashy where his harnes goes. He did get something similar on his face where his eye blew up around christmas time. Never knew what it was but assumed he ran into the artificial xmas tree branch and gave himself a black eye. THis looks very similar. Maybe he walked into poison ivy or something on our walk. If it goes away in a few hours I will know cause thats what it did with the last one.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby msvette2u » July 14th, 2006, 1:06 pm

JennKBM wrote:Thanks guys. It almost looks like someone took a tiny match or something and just burnt him in a few places. They aren't oozing, or open just scabbed over, perfect little round sores. I've only seen 3 that I could find. One on his belly, and one of each of his front legs (at the top). Something definitely isn't right. He wasn't smelling so foul though until last week sometime. I'm going to take him in tomorrow.

Edit - There was the one on his back, and his neck too. Those were the first ones I seen, when I thought the groomer had nicked him or something. :| Those are gone.

I have no idea but I'd get some betadine/povidone iodine SCRUB and wash him with that. You work up a lather with it. It will kill bacteria that might be on the skin.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Jenn » July 14th, 2006, 1:35 pm

Well I have to be a freaking walk in today at 2:00. So I'm going to go early in hopes of being first in line. :( I really love my vet's office, but I HATE that they only make morning appointments. Anyway, his stinking little fanny is at work with me, and it's taking all I have to not bathe him. I just really want the vet to get the just of this smell, lol. BLAH.. I'll update when we return.

I hope Rocky is ok too. ;)
Jenn
undecided

Postby rockermom » July 14th, 2006, 1:50 pm

Thank You. ROcky does not smell at all as you are describing. He just smells like dog which he does not usually smell much like dog.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Postby msvette2u » July 14th, 2006, 2:40 pm

JennKBM wrote:Well I have to be a freaking walk in today at 2:00. So I'm going to go early in hopes of being first in line. :( I really love my vet's office, but I HATE that they only make morning appointments. Anyway, his stinking little fanny is at work with me, and it's taking all I have to not bathe him. I just really want the vet to get the just of this smell, lol. BLAH.. I'll update when we return.

I hope Rocky is ok too. ;)

Well keep us updated!!
msvette2u
I live here

Postby Jenn » July 14th, 2006, 5:37 pm

We survived and even managed to get everyone's playtime in before the rain started again. I got there at 1:30, and allowed someone that came in after me to go before me. I felt so sorry for them, they had a lab that appeared to have been poisoned. Poor dog, it was just pitiful. :(

Anyway, there was a new vet, and mine was out at a funeral. She was wonderful with Tucker, and even asked about everyone else on my list. I thought that was nice considering she'd never met any of us. I did find her to be very vague about answering my questions, and I knew they were extremely busy, but I wished my vet was there. She seems to have a nasal problem since she didn't think Tucker stank. ;) lol
So, "Marinepits" nailed it! He has a slight bacterial skin infection, and some dry skin on his rump (of all places). She gave me some shampoo, a few days worth of antibiotics, and she gave the poor little guy a shot for the itching. Said he should be fine, and that I should bathe him every 7-10 days.
I have a lot of paperwork and stuff to read, but I just don't get it? Wouldn't bathing him more continue to dry his skin? What sense does that make? She said the infection could be caused from a number of things, and there was no telling what was the actual case. Something else I just don't get, what causes these infections? :| I asked about possible allergies, and she said to bring him back if it doesn't get better. Anyone have any advice for me/dealt with something like this before?
Jenn
undecided

Postby Mind_doc » July 14th, 2006, 6:06 pm

Jenn,
My dog had the same "scabbing flakes" that you describe. I also
thought he was playing too ruff or the prong was digging into him as
they were mostly on his neck. I took him into the vet where she looked
at the sores under black-light. Sure enough they glowed green indicating a
fungal infection, most likely ring worm. He is now on an antifungal. Its
only been a few days so he doesn't look any better yet. The only
difference between what you're describing is that my dog doesn't seem to itch as bad and there is no bad smell. If your dog does not look any better with the antibiotics, ask about the black-light test when you go back. As far as HOW they get it, my vet just said being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Mind_doc
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » July 14th, 2006, 8:14 pm

JennKBM wrote:She gave me some shampoo, a few days worth of antibiotics, and she gave the poor little guy a shot for the itching. Said he should be fine, and that I should bathe him every 7-10 days.
I have a lot of paperwork and stuff to read, but I just don't get it? Wouldn't bathing him more continue to dry his skin? What sense does that make? She said the infection could be caused from a number of things, and there was no telling what was the actual case. Something else I just don't get, what causes these infections?

Depending on the brand/type of shampoo, it can actually help heal dry skin. What did she give you?

Bacterial skin infections can literally come from anywhere -- it's extremely difficult to find the cause. It could be as simple as he rolled in a bit of animal poo, or went through a puddle that another animal with a skin infection walked through as well.

Both of my males end up with these skin infections every once in a while, for whatever reason. My vet gives them Cefa tabs (ceflexin antibiotic) and the infections go away very quickly.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Jenn » July 14th, 2006, 9:16 pm

She gave me ~ Efa Hylyt.. that's the name on the side of the bottle. Then it just says Shampoo *Essential Fatty acids. It smells really good, like coconut. I went ahead and bathed Ben and Maddie too, lol. Everyone is now mad at me, except Ben. ;)
The pills are Cefpodoxime (simplicef), is that the same thing? Thanks for not making me feel alone. ;)
Jenn
undecided

Postby Marinepits » July 14th, 2006, 10:08 pm

Hylyt shampoo is pretty good stuff -- I believe it's soap-free and therefore less drying to the skin. I also had great success with Chlorhexiderm shampoo. You have to get that thru a vet.

Not sure about the antibiotic because the name is unfamiliar. If his spots don't go away with the first round of antibiotics, ask the vet for another type. We tried Clavamox for a while, but the Cefa tabs worked best for whatever bacteria bugs our dogs.

I'm glad to hear that the stinkys are smelling better! :D
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby msvette2u » July 15th, 2006, 1:34 am

The antibiotic sounds the same. The shampoo is good, very gentle. You can get Chorhexadine (I got ours at a feed store) and mix it in the shampoo yourself, or add the povidone to the shampoo and wash him with that. Our povidone-iodine is a "scrub" that doctors and nurses use to scrub with before surgery - it kills all manner of bacteria. I used it on Jenny when she was here, and it made her smell MUCH better.
msvette2u
I live here

Postby rockermom » July 15th, 2006, 12:17 pm

Hope he feels much better soon. Good you cought it early.
rockermom
Supremely Bully

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health